• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trunk smell in my 2019

So I read on one post in this forum where someone said that for 2019, Acura was able to get rid of the trunk smell by baking the interior liner or something before installation. Well, I can confirm on my 2019 that the trunk smell is definitely there, mostly after the trunk heats up. What's strange is that for the first 300-400 miles or so, I didn't have any smell at all. But then it started to get more and more prevalent as I added miles and drove the car harder. If I leave the rear hatch open and air out the trunk/engine compartment in the garage for a day, the smell goes away, but as soon as it's driven spirited again, the smell comes back.

Are other 2019 and 2020 owners experiencing this?

Yep, I have the smell. It's called outgasing from the adhesives and other materials bonding glass to carbon fiber. Leave the rear hatch open and they'll dissipate. I was told it takes about several hundred miles to cure.

Jimmy aka sled driver

Great--not excited to endure this for a year.

I left a soft-sided cooler bag in the trunk just in case I had to make an impromptu stop at the grocery store, and the bag ended up smelling like crazy. I took the bag out, and it took a week for the smell on the bag to dissipate. Now I'm afraid to put any food items in the trunk, especially if I stop to grab a pizza! I don't want to put the pizza inside the car because I don't want the cabin to smell like pizza. Oh, first world problems!

Throw a few dryer sheets in the trunk. It's like throwing a jacket in the dryer with a dryer sheet. It should change the smell at least.

Throw a few dryer sheets in the trunk. It's like throwing a jacket in the dryer with a dryer sheet. It should change the smell at least.

I'll give it a shot! It can't hurt, and my trunk may end up smelling April Fresh!

My 17 the smell went away really quickly. After drives opened the hatch with a fan blowing over the engine bay. I don’t recall it lasting more than a month or so. And I don’t remember it being objectionable either.

Last edited:
Look at the positive side of it. At least it isn’t the smell dead skunk.

I have a ozone generator I bought on Amazon for $69 when I had a liquid container of fly killer spill in my wife's MB. Nothing would remove that vile odor and I used everything. Detail guy told me about the ozone generator as I was ready to trade the car. Bingo! Hooked the ozone generator up and followed directions no more smell.
Jimmy aka sled driver

I have a ozone generator I bought on Amazon for $69 when I had a liquid container of fly killer spill in my wife's MB. Nothing would remove that vile odor and I used everything. Detail guy told me about the ozone generator as I was ready to trade the car. Bingo! Hooked the ozone generator up and followed directions no more smell.
Jimmy aka sled driver
Awesome it worked. Back in about 2003-ish I was looking at an e39 M5 at my local MB dealership that they bought at auction. It was owned by a smoker (not in the auction description)... their ozone machine couldn’t rid that smell. Would have bought it, but no way. Think they sent it back to the auctions. Ended up buying another e39 M5 from them - nice car. Saw one on the road today. Rare sighting.

Back