• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TSW Valencia - fitment, color

I am considering TSW Valencia wheels.

I can get this wheel in these sizes:
17x8 5-114.3 +40
18x9.5 5-114.3 +40

I am planning to pair the wheels with BFG gForce Sport Comp-2 in these sizes:
215/45-17
255/40-18

These would go on a 1991 NSX with 2001 brakes all around. Car is on Bilsteins on lowered spring perch.

From all I have found and read, I think this would work but I thought I'd ask here just to be sure: Would this combo work with clearing brakes, in the wheel wheel, and with TCS? Tires sizes compatible with wheel widths?

And finally, I am torn on color and would appreciate feedback. I am in between silver and gloss black, leaning toward the latter. Car is Formula Red with black roof, stock rear spoiler. If I get the gloss black wheels I would seriously consider an NSX-R rear spoiler but for now sticking with stock.

Links to pics of the wheels:
http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_valencia.php

Thanks for the feedback!

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Anyone know center bore requirements? I can deal with hubcentric rings but obviously want to avoid situation where the wheels center bore is too small . . . .

Last edited:
Offsets will work but the aspect ratio of those tires is not optimal. You will want 215/40-17 and 255/35-18 (though 265/35 is better for a 91-94 NSX's TCS system).

As far as color goes, on a mesh wheel like that I would prefer silver...if it were a spoked wheel I would likely say black.

Centerbore...NSX is 70mm front and 64mm rear. I would call up TSW and ask them about the centerbore.

Last edited:
Thanks, M-P.

Problem is finding tires in 215/40-17. I can find the 255/35-18 readily but the choices for the 17 are more limited, at least where I am looking (tirerack and discounttire).

When you say "not optimal", what would the consequences be? Rubbing, TCS, or aesthetics? If it means anything the car currently sits on 16/17 on '94 OEM seven spoke in 225/40-16 and 265/40-17 sizes with no problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Kumho LE Sport is available in 215/40-17 and 265/40-18. Suitable? Also available are Direzza ZII and Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R. Know anything about these?

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing . . . . anyone care to do a photoshop? I am SO on the fence with color, gloss black or silver. I kinda like the black but I think it might be too dark. I did find a pic here on prime with this wheel, but it was chrome and on a red-roofed car.

Thanks, all!!

Last edited:
The center bore of those wheels is 76mm, so not too small for the NSX. Hard part is finding correct centering rings. I've got them from ebay from only one seller but only in polycarbonate. I prefer aluminum but can't find them in the 64.1 ~ 76.0mm and 70.1 ~76.0mm sizes. Preferred tire sizes are 215/40-17 and 265/35-18 for a pre-94 NSX.

Last edited:
Thanks, NSX-Files. (Where did you find the bore size of those wheels? I didn't find it on the TSW website. Huh.)

So aside from selecting the color and which tires I should go with, I have cleared all technical hurdles if I go with 215/40-17 and 265/35-18, I can get at least a version of hub-centric rings that would work, I should have no problems clearing brakes or fitting them in wheel wells, so I should be good to go.

I will check with my wheel supplier on the correct lugs for these wheels. If I place the order today they'll arrive Wednesday at the wheel and tire store I patronize, so by the 4th I should have a new set. Now if I would just quit waffling on color . . . .

I would do glossy black w/polish. That's just me :smile:

OK, tires, wheels on order. Tire store has the hub-centric rings in stock (or at least said he did), poly, not aluminum, also has lugs. Tires and wheels should get there by Wednesday, hope to pick them up and install on Saturday July 5, so I'm all set.

I went with my first instinct, gloss black with polished lip. Also went with revised tire sizes based on recommendations above, 215/40-17 and 265/35-18. Didn't have to ask me twice to go wider in the rear. :biggrin:

Thanks to all who responded here to my inquiries. I'll be sure to post pictures.

Thanks, NSX-Files. (Where did you find the bore size of those wheels? I didn't find it on the TSW website. Huh.)

So aside from selecting the color and which tires I should go with, I have cleared all technical hurdles if I go with 215/40-17 and 265/35-18, I can get at least a version of hub-centric rings that would work, I should have no problems clearing brakes or fitting them in wheel wells, so I should be good to go.

I will check with my wheel supplier on the correct lugs for these wheels. If I place the order today they'll arrive Wednesday at the wheel and tire store I patronize, so by the 4th I should have a new set. Now if I would just quit waffling on color . . . .

http://fitment.tsw.com/alloy-wheels-fitment-guide-results.php?year=1997&make=Acura&model=NSX

The last digit of the part number (1780VAL405114S76) tells me. Also nearly all of the TSW wheels use that center bore. Lug nuts are aftermarket tapered, not ball like OEM.

Part number deciphered:
17" 8.0" Valencia ET40 PCD5x114 Silver 76 CB

17 | 80 | VAL | 40 | 5 | 114 | S | 76

Nice looking wheel. Though I think this particular design would probably look a lot better in a 18x8 and 19x9.5 sizing..

Also something to note.. Judging for the flat face design, you "may" need to run spacers depending on the clearance of the caliper behind the wheel. Running the 2000+ brakes is usually a good thing, so it probably won't be an issue. If you had the 1991 brakes, I'd be way more worried.

TSW Valencia

See attached photo of my '99 Black NSX with 17/18 TWS Valencia's. I prefer the silver centers. Great wheels.

John

I am considering TSW Valencia wheels.

I can get this wheel in these sizes:
17x8 5-114.3 +40
18x9.5 5-114.3 +40

I am planning to pair the wheels with BFG gForce Sport Comp-2 in these sizes:
215/45-17
255/40-18

These would go on a 1991 NSX with 2001 brakes all around. Car is on Bilsteins on lowered spring perch.

From all I have found and read, I think this would work but I thought I'd ask here just to be sure: Would this combo work with clearing brakes, in the wheel wheel, and with TCS? Tires sizes compatible with wheel widths?

And finally, I am torn on color and would appreciate feedback. I am in between silver and gloss black, leaning toward the latter. Car is Formula Red with black roof, stock rear spoiler. If I get the gloss black wheels I would seriously consider an NSX-R rear spoiler but for now sticking with stock.

Links to pics of the wheels:
http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_valencia.php

Thanks for the feedback!

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Anyone know center bore requirements? I can deal with hubcentric rings but obviously want to avoid situation where the wheels center bore is too small . . . .

OK, finally got them and had them mounted and installed today.

I cannot be any more pleased. This is exactly the look I wanted, sorta old school mesh, polished lip. Here are the final specs:

17x8 +40
18x9.5 +40
Needed 76->70 and 76->64 hubcentric rings
Mounted up Kumho Ecsta LE Sport in 215/40/17 and 265/35/18.

No clearance problems ('91 with '01 brakes), no shimmy, shake, or rubbing, no problems with TCS.

I could not be happier with the end result.

(No, the Buick is not mine; it's the neighbor's. :biggrin:)

Hearty thanks to everyone who responded and contributed to my decision. It had been years since I decided I wanted a new set of wheels, and I had let "wheels come to me", hoping to stumble upon a wheel I really liked. Finally decided to do some serious research and surfed the web for hours, to fruition. Thanks again to all here.

Last edited:
kinda old school.......has an old Porsche vibe......but isn't it funny how just a simple new mod peeks your interest and enjoyment of the car.

kinda old school.......has an old Porsche vibe......but isn't it funny how just a simple new mod peeks your interest and enjoyment of the car.

Oh, hell yeah. It doesn't take much for me to love this car all over again. Usually all it takes is a drive and a blast to 8k. There is just something about this car that is so connected: great steering, great gearbox, makes all the right noises, fantastic view out the windshield, a true classic.

As others have continually debated, yeah, there are lots of cars today that are monsters. even plebian commuter cars have similar HP. But not the vibe.

I know it's a dated look but I don't care. It's what I wanted and like, even sought out. Thanks for the comment.

Last edited:
Aren't you embarrassed of sporting an NSX with those wheels when your neighbor has a sweet Buick like that?

Last edited:
Aren't embarrassed of sporting an NSX with those wheels when your neighbor has a sweet Buick like that?

At my age, sometimes I think I should be cruising in a Lexus LS or something soft and cushy. But while I've resigned myself that I am indeed nostalgic, I will at least be nostalgic with some of the best of the period for which I am nostalgic. And no, a mid-2000's Buick is not among them. :biggrin:

Last weekend I was down for the count, sick all weekend, and Monday I flew to Denver for work, so today is the first time I've had to drive the car on the new wheels other than driving home from having them installed 7/3.

Concern: TCS came on once, just for about a second, under medium acceleration in 2nd gear. I don't recall but I think I was unwinding from a turn.

When I got home I checked tire pressures after letting them cool a while. 39RR, 35RF, 38LR, 35 RF.

I evened them all up around 31-32.

Anyone have any ideas on why TCS might have come on? Would the "before" tire pressures have caused this? 215/40/17 and 265/35/18.

Thanks, guys.

Last edited:
Maybe you were actually slipping on something

most likely a gremlin.

Doug,

Great seeing you out here again, had fun doing the kart racing thing as usual:wink:. The wheels look good on your car! Couldn't really see them well on your phone, but with the bigger pics here it makes a difference with the details for sure. Makes me want to get some new TSW's for my car:frown:.

When I got home I checked tire pressures after letting them cool a while. 39RR, 35RF, 38LR, 35 RF.

I evened them all up around 31-32.

Have you tried the OEM recommended pressures of 33 Front and 40 rear?

Have you tried the OEM recommended pressures of 33 Front and 40 rear?

No, I haven't. I don't drive the car very often, since it is summer in SoFla I am really limited when I can drive it. I try to not take it out when it is going to rain, so that limits me to weekends (no, I'm not afraid of driving it in the rain but since I did a paint correction a few years ago I try to eliminate the need to have to wash it; trying to avoid swirl marks at all costs).

So, I have not driven it since the weekend. I'd love to drive it to work this week, but it's 43 miles one way. Since it is the rainy season, it's pretty much guaranteed it will rain some time during the day, so unless I can make a short trip and put it back in the garage, it's not driven. (I do have September - April in GLORIOUS weather, so I can wait. :smile:)

That said, during the SoFla dry season I do drive it. A lot. So, please no comments about it being a garage queen.:tongue:

I will try to take it out this weekend and see if it re-occurs, and if so, I'll mess with the tire pressures some more. Maybe I'll get a chance to meet up with DocL and see his Lotus Esprit. Hope so.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Doug,

Great seeing you out here again, had fun doing the kart racing thing as usual:wink:. The wheels look good on your car! Couldn't really see them well on your phone, but with the bigger pics here it makes a difference with the details for sure. Makes me want to get some new TSW's for my car:frown:.

Thanks, Gabe, as usual, fun meeting up with you and your buds and running the karts. I got an email that Unser Karts will be closed late July early August. I might be back in Denver week of August 5, which may or may not coincide with Unser re-opening after reconfiguring the track. I'll let you know when I have my travel plans finalized.

Are the Khumo's brand new? If so, they are usually slippery due to the releasing agent applied to remove them from the mold. When I used to run the Ecsta's on my NSX they would loose traction and cause the TCS to kick in when exiting a turn and accelerating. In my experience it usually took about 200 miles for the tires to loose their slipperiness. As others mentioned, you should be using the OEM tire pressures.

Back