• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Twin Turbo NSX is ready

Hi Guys,
we just have finished twin turbo NSX.
Just wanted to share specs and photos.
Are there any twin turbo`s made in USA?
Car is runing great,500 miles more for the new engine and in few days going to dyno it for full power. Expecting something like 800hp @ pump gas.

Shortly about specs.

custom crower stroker (carillo rods, cp pistons, crower crank) , 3.5L
darton sleeves
arp studs, cometic HG
head processing(porting & polishing), +1mm ferrea valves, dual springs
TODA spec A cams
modified intake manifold with 3" throttle body
1000cc injectors with modified fuel rails
walboro fuel pump with kenne bell voltage adder
custom twin turbo kit with ball bearing garrett gt28r turbos
custom exhaust
aem ems
m&w CDI
liquid/air intercooler with 3" piping
universal air suspension with controller & remote control
many many custom small parts/tricks
carbon LSD (carbonetic)
3 disk carbon clutch (carbonetic)

i am attaching few photos, more to come soon.

thanks!
Ivan Kirillov
Total Race
http://www.totalrace.ru

Attachments

• IMG_1052-c.jpg
    IMG_1052-c.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,786
  • IMG_1053-c.jpg
    IMG_1053-c.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 924
  • IMG_1056-c.jpg
    IMG_1056-c.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,760
  • IMG_1057-c.jpg
    IMG_1057-c.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,069
  • IMG_1058-c.jpg
    IMG_1058-c.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,532
Last edited:
I dunno, marc (black01s4) posted about how he was 'going" to buy an nsx and build a custom turbo. Got torn to shreds by all the "all knowing" nsxprime upstanding members. Is now on his 3rd turbo setup, each more ridiculously awesome than the previous.

Still though. Hell of a 1st post.

Very impressive indeed!:eek: Care to post specs on your Toda cams? How about the crower crank? Is this a custom billet crank? Are your carillo rods steel? Do you have any links to the carbonetic lsd and clutch? Sorry for all the questions, but your project is very intruiing.

custom crower stroker?????????

Very impressive indeed!:eek: Care to post specs on your Toda cams? How about the crower crank? Is this a custom billet crank? Are your carillo rods steel? Do you have any links to the carbonetic lsd and clutch? Sorry for all the questions, but your project is very intruiing.

I agree! I hadn't even noticed this:

custom crower stroker (carillo rods, cp pistons, crower crank)
Ummmmm...first I have ever heard of these babies. What the heck??

thanks for remembering Gerry(peiserg) it funny looking back how bad i got ripped on :)

it does look like a pretty cool setup, seems like they will have a nice system.

answering some of the questions/points..
Yes there are a couple twin turbo systems in the US....anywhere from 400-800hp.

I really dont think its ambitious...Juice did you even READ the first post? :) They did seem to back up all that they claim, seem to have more knowledge about what it would take to make this kind of power, More so that most who post in the FI forum. And they plainly said they have some more breaking in before posting dyno sheets. It can take a LONG time for an enging to finally seat the rings etc etc etc. and every engine builder has a different opionon on how its done. My compresion actually went UP from 1500 miles to 6000 miles...from the rings finally seating themselves...give them time, it should prove pretty decent.

They plainly state they are using DBB GT28r turbos, are you looking for AR and the rest? running on 1.5 liter per side and the large inlet size I would assume they are using something like a gt2871r.....good for up to 400.

As far as as the fuel in Russia, why would it matter if they use 91 or 114, here or there? If they can make more power with less boost, they need less octane rating. If they flow twice the air with the duels that I would with a larger turbo...they will make more power running the same boost pressure. I made 600+ to the wheels on 91 craptane with like 12 psi...in the dessert. they are in russia, its cold there (see they have coats on in the pics) so they could easily make 800 on 91-93.

FWIW i do think they will run out of steam with the gt28's they are a great turbo but they will come to power much too early for the longish RPM band of the car, it will have TONS of TQ, but as the car starts flowing more air above 5K..the turbos will start to run out of power, almost over spinning and start creating more heat then power. This is the same issue i had on my first system when it started making more then 500. 400hp it was great, 500 it wasnt so great.

Last edited:
Re: custom crower stroker?????????

I agree! I hadn't even noticed this:

custom crower stroker (carillo rods, cp pistons, crower crank)
Ummmmm...first I have ever heard of these babies. What the heck??

i think autowave might have had something to do with these.....just an assumtion

hi Ivan --

Glad to hear your project is done. Congratulations!

-- Chris

Hi Chris, thanks!
please check my last order for a wing and something else, sometimes it is getting tooooo long to get a reply from you by email, probably here is a better place:)

<TABLE height=263 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" summary="" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD align=middle>Primary Lobe</TD><TD align=middle>Secondary Lobe</TD><TD align=middle>VTEC Lobe</TD></TR><TR><TD>Spec A F/IN</TD><TD align=middle>233(9.3mm)</TD><TD align=middle>238(9.7mm)</TD><TD align=middle>285(12.0mm)</TD></TR><TR><TD>Spec A F/EX</TD><TD align=middle>238(8.4mm)</TD><TD align=middle>243(8.7mm)</TD><TD align=middle>280(12.0mm)</TD></TR><TR><TD>Spec A R/IN</TD><TD align=middle>233(9.3mm)</TD><TD align=middle>238(9.7mm)</TD><TD align=middle>285(12.0mm)</TD></TR><TR><TD>Spec A R/EX</TD><TD align=middle>238(8.4mm)</TD><TD align=middle>243(8.7mm)</TD><TD align=middle>280(12.0mm)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Carbonetic parts are here www.carbonetic.net

Crank - yes, special order to Crower. btw if anyone need more strokers let me know, i have several in stock in USA!
Steel rods, i do not think there is great benefit of using titanium ones with turbo engine... price is much more than weight saving..

I heard that the octane for Russian pump gas ranges from 93 - 98 - 114

If u are using 114, then I can believe the 800rwhp.

But if you are using American high octane of 91, then.......

we have RON 98 fuel, that is close to US 91 (R+M)/2

i was talking about 800hp at the crank.
we will see soon...

i am scaring about transmission, it might not hold that power... and there are no upgraded gears on the market. carbon clutch should help to reduce impact but it might not be enough.

thanks for remembering Gerry(peiserg) it funny looking back how bad i got ripped on :)

it does look like a pretty cool setup, seems like they will have a nice system.

answering some of the questions/points..
Yes there are a couple twin turbo systems in the US....anywhere from 400-800hp.

I really dont think its ambitious...Juice did you even READ the first post? :) They did seem to back up all that they claim, seem to have more knowledge about what it would take to make this kind of power, More so that most who post in the FI forum. And they plainly said they have some more breaking in before posting dyno sheets. It can take a LONG time for an enging to finally seat the rings etc etc etc. and every engine builder has a different opionon on how its done. My compresion actually went UP from 1500 miles to 6000 miles...from the rings finally seating themselves...give them time, it should prove pretty decent.

They plainly state they are using DBB GT28r turbos, are you looking for AR and the rest? running on 1.5 liter per side and the large inlet size I would assume they are using something like a gt2871r.....good for up to 400.

As far as as the fuel in Russia, why would it matter if they use 91 or 114, here or there? If they can make more power with less boost, they need less octane rating. If they flow twice the air with the duels that I would with a larger turbo...they will make more power running the same boost pressure. I made 600+ to the wheels on 91 craptane with like 12 psi...in the dessert. they are in russia, its cold there (see they have coats on in the pics) so they could easily make 800 on 91-93.

FWIW i do think they will run out of steam with the gt28's they are a great turbo but they will come to power much too early for the longish RPM band of the car, it will have TONS of TQ, but as the car starts flowing more air above 5K..the turbos will start to run out of power, almost over spinning and start creating more heat then power. This is the same issue i had on my first system when it started making more then 500. 400hp it was great, 500 it wasnt so great.

you`re right about turbos! but i ordered 0.86 a/r option it should give less backpressure and more high rpm torque. anyway goal was a good street car and not a HP record holder. i am going to run it up to 25psi.

its not too cold here! right now about 25deg C.

not to cold, are you kidding? its like 44c here right now (110f) my car is a frickin MONSTER @ 25c....scary fast...now, its OK :)

the tranny should be fiine, I cryo'ed all my gears just to do it. I have broken a CV joint though being an idiot. thats all thats ever broke.

How well can you take on this 1000HP GTO with weight factoring in?

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4502028#post4502028

HUH? this inst a true internet race question is it?

and its an 850 HP car not a 1000, we talk WHEEL here, not crank....

I would say the GTO would get it from the launch, nsx would spank a mud hole in it after about 75-80.
Takes too long for the NSX to build power/speed at this level.

There are a few heavily modded GTO's around here, they are quick outta the gate, but the highend is a different story.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your specs and answering my questions. Your car looks like it will be a real monster when it is done. It should easily keep pace with some of the more extreme turbo cars that have been built by U.S. tuners. Congratulations.

Ivan,

Welcome to the NSX community and congratulations on your project. Looks like you have a great setup with good components and I agree with your choice the twin turbos given your 3.5 displacement. Low end torque with quick spool up vs. Peak HP are almost mutually exclusive given our lack of displacement unless you add Nitrous or Nitro. Otherwise, stay with 600-700 rwhp and start to lose some weight. Is this strictly a track car or will it be street driven? The reason I ask is the front bank exhaust pipes are very low, possibly lower than the subframe. I'm extrapolating based on the amount of gap between the three primaries and the oil pan, and the slightly hooked path it takes to clear the subframe. Hopefully its just the angle of the picture. There are very few twin turbo NSX setups out here, mostly Cartech though. The single turbo setup is very popular, a little less complicated, and gives great result. The LoveFab setup or the new setup by Autowave will be the way to go. You can look up my setup in the the Member Photo Gallery.

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12595&ppuser=7098&sl=l

Best Regards and Much Success.

Danny

Oh yeah, I meant to ask another question in my previous post. Your cams feature a very aggressive (long) duration. 285/280 is a cam profile that is more typically associated with NA engines. I do not (yet) own a turbocharged car, but I have heard that shorter durations are preferred to avoid reversion due to the turbocharger's backpressure. Anyone care to comment? SOS offers NA cams with 271/258 duration but recommend that FI engines use the shorter duration 251/246 cams (presumably to avoid reversion). Your cams are more aggressive even than SOS' NA cams, yet you are using them with turbochargers. It seems to me that either SOS or TODA doesn't know what they are talking about. They can't both be right. Right?

Oh yeah, I meant to ask another question in my previous post. Your cams feature a very aggressive (long) duration. 285/280 is a cam profile that is more typically associated with NA engines. I do not (yet) own a turbocharged car, but I have heard that shorter durations are preferred to avoid reversion due to the turbocharger's backpressure. Anyone care to comment? SOS offers NA cams with 271/258 duration but recommend that FI engines use the shorter duration 251/246 cams (presumably to avoid reversion). Your cams are more aggressive even than SOS' NA cams, yet you are using them with turbochargers. It seems to me that either SOS or TODA doesn't know what they are talking about. They can't both be right. Right?

TODA cams are mainly made for N/A engines since there are no well known bolt-on turbo kits available in Japan. They also have Spec B/C cams which are 300+deg. of duration. I have choosen it since i ported head, installed oversized valves and also my engine has larger displacement. While tuning many of my other turbo projects I have got the best high rpm results with N/A cams.
With VTEC cams it is even better, i get perfect idle and best high rpm torque. I can also adjust timing gears.
Also keep in mind that that is advertized duration, try comparing it at some fixed valve lift, picture could be very different.
I desided to go with TODA cams considering that SoS cams (even N/A) are too small for me.
There are hundreds of thoughts which cams are better for each project, my opinion is based on my practice.

Ivan,

Welcome to the NSX community and congratulations on your project. Looks like you have a great setup with good components and I agree with your choice the twin turbos given your 3.5 displacement. Low end torque with quick spool up vs. Peak HP are almost mutually exclusive given our lack of displacement unless you add Nitrous or Nitro. Otherwise, stay with 600-700 rwhp and start to lose some weight. Is this strictly a track car or will it be street driven? The reason I ask is the front bank exhaust pipes are very low, possibly lower than the subframe. I'm extrapolating based on the amount of gap between the three primaries and the oil pan, and the slightly hooked path it takes to clear the subframe. Hopefully its just the angle of the picture. There are very few twin turbo NSX setups out here, mostly Cartech though. The single turbo setup is very popular, a little less complicated, and gives great result. The LoveFab setup or the new setup by Autowave will be the way to go. You can look up my setup in the the Member Photo Gallery.

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12595&ppuser=7098&sl=l

Best Regards and Much Success.

Danny

Thank you very much! you have a cool setup! Just exhaust manifold looks a bit long. My front bank exhaust pipes are not lower than subframe, that is just the way how it looks at the photo. I will make better photos soon.
Also, i can always adjust car clearance since there is air suspension installed in this car:)

Back