• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

type-R or type-S

From the FAQ:

NSX Type-R

The NSX-R is 265 lb. lighter than stock, and it's equipped with a suspension tuned to provide what Honda hoped was the best possible compromise between racing and acceptable road use

Most of the weight savings come from deleting the air conditioning (42 lb.), the undercoating (39 lb.), various electrical equipment (23 lb.), the spare wheel (14 lb.) and the stereo system (13 lb.). Also scrapped are the stock seats, in favor of Recaros that save an additional 38 lb. The NSX-R's bumper beams are also made of aluminum rather than steel.

New wheels reduce unsprung weight by 9 lb., but the reinforced front and rear aluminum subframes and larger shock absorbers add a little more than 5 lb. to the tally.

The powertrain is essentially stock, except that the 274-bhp 3.0-liter V-6 has been blueprinted. Traction control is not fitted to the car, and the final drive ratio has been lowered from 4.06:1 to 4.24:1. The limited-slip differential is twice as stiff as standard. The engine cover has been replaced with a lightweight mesh unit.

Externally, very little sets the NSX-R apart from the stock car, but inside the cockpit you'll immediately notice the wonderfully supportive Recaros, a titanium shift lever and a businesslike Momo steering wheel.

NSX Type S

Japan Only. Luxury/Sporty model; a more refined Type-R. Features: Titunium Shift Knob (like Formula-1), MOMO steering wheel, BBS lightweight aluminum wheels, Recaro full bucket seat, mesh design engine cover (like Type-R), same colored roof as body, 45kg lighter than regular model, harder suspension.

The NSX-S is halfway between the standard NSX and the S.Zero. With the Type S, you get more equipment (more weight) and a milder suspension than the S.Zero.

Sounds good? The catch is, at 10.357 million yen (about $85,000), it's the most expensive NSX Honda ever sold in Japan

NSX S-Zero, 1997-Present
Japan Only. Racing prepped car. Features: No air conditioning or audio wiring. Harder suspension than normal but softer than the Type-R. Carbon-fiber Recaro seats. Another 50kg lighter than the Type-S , BBS alloy wheels, mesh engine bay cover. 9.857 million yen (about $81,000). No cruise control, stereo, power door locks, airbags, air conditioning, traction control, power steering, fog lights or navigation system. Honda has come up with a new lightweight lead-acid battery and halved the thickness of the partition glass between engine bay and cabin.

Type-S is 45 kg lighter than '97 NSX coupe with Power Assisted Steering.
Type-S is 30 kg lighter than '97 NSX coupe without Power Assisted Steering.
Type-S Zero is 51 kg lighter than Type-S.

At 2800 pounds, the S.Zero is lighter by 212 pounds than the stock coupe, and it can lap Honda's Suzuka F1 circuit 1.5 seconds faster than the NSX-R, the original, legendary NSX lightweight, born in Japan in 1992. 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds and 13 seconds flat for the quarter mile. Like the NSX-R, it was developed primarily for the track. (Honda sees it as a kind of weekend racer.) But it's not as extreme as the R so, yes, you could even use it for commuting. The carbon-fiber Recaros are finished in orange and black. Front spring rates are more than double those of the new 3.2 (at the back, rates are up two-thirds). Shock rates are beefed up correspondingly. It has a lighter, single-mass flywheel. Much of the sound deadening material has been removed to reduce weight.

The dash looks a lot less crowded without controls for the air conditioning and stereo (which are both optional), but Honda has retained the electric window lifts, fore/aft electric seat adjusters and the standard door handles and armrests.

The Type-R NSX also has a slew of parts unique to it. For example the Rear Dampers have external canisters, hard bushings in almost every suspension component...etc. Basically its a turn key track NSX.

Originally posted by musclesmarinara2:
Can anyone explain exactly what makes an nsx a type-R or a type-S??

[This message has been edited by ACR_Motorsports (edited 15 April 2002).]

Ermmm... If I get to choose... I'll take neither!!! I'll take a Type S.Zero instead...
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by ACR_Motorsports:
Hey David, e-mail me the list of bushings you want or need and I'll see what I can do.
We are also working on a line of engine bushings, and some other neat suspension pieces.

Do tell!
Also, I jsut saw JRZ suspension on your website. Are these specially designed forthe NSX? Or off the shelf universal units adapted to the NSX?
thanks

------------------
G Dummy~

Faster than stock.
:D :D :D

http://sacramento.nsxca.org/Events/thunderhill_driving_school_4-02.htm

The JRZ Suspension that we offer are made for NSX specs for us by JRZ. They utilize their previous testing and racing data from Le Mans and European Cup NSXs in designing the application.

Regarding the bushings, we have been researching the Type-R bushings, but some of the pieces are ridiculously high priced.
We currently have prototype units for all of the engine mounts. Hopefully, we will be able to offer the engine mounts in the near future. There are some mono-ball suspension pieces too, but we are not sure whether or not we are going to be producing them yet.

Originally posted by maomaonsx:

Do tell!
Also, I jsut saw JRZ suspension on your website. Are these specially designed forthe NSX? Or off the shelf universal units adapted to the NSX?
thanks

Originally posted by David:
Anyone know a source for those bushings?
Modst of the Type R and Type S suspension parts are available (or available soon) from Cybernation Motorsports. Catch is, you need to be able to specify which ones you need, although their catalog is going on-line as we speak.

IIRC, Alex V (GruppeM) switched to the Type R suspension after playing with aftermarket adjustables (Ground Control, etc).

Back