• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Type S demand (why I'm purchasing)

New member here. I've been reading nsxprime threads ever since I put down a deposit on a Type S. In one of the threads someone makes a comment on how shocked they are with the explosion in demand for the Type S when demand for the regular car was so low. I wanted to explain the thought process for my purchase since I'm part of that demand. I also wanted there to be a place where others could voice their reasoning for putting down a deposit on a Type S as well.

I personally don't think the demand is solely limited to the Type S, I think demand is higher for all sports cars including the regular gen 2 NSX as well. Back in 2019 I made a video on YouTube about how The C8 Corvette would destroy the sports car market. We all know what happened in 2020. That lack of supply and not being able to interact with others caused an explosion in demand for everything that existed out doors, including sports cars. The C8 Corvette that supposedly started under $60k didn't exist, good luck finding one for under $100k. We're talking the base Corvette, not even the future Z06. As wonderful as that car is it's against some pretty stiff competition at that price with markups. I also happened to talk to a YouTuber who tried putting down a deposit on a 2020 NSX and had an extremely difficult time doing so. In March of 2020 he walked into four separate dealers, and only one would take his money and that dealer was never able to place an order. His $10k deposit from March 2020 is sitting at a non top 70 performing dealer, so he doesn't even have an allocation, pretty sad. So my point so far is demand is extremely high and I get the feeling that Acura hasn't been able to reach current demand.

My other reasoning is this. Performance was a much higher factor when the car was in production and now it's not. It's hard to justify the price when all that technology can't compete against a GT-R, ZL1, Z06, 911, McLaren, R8, etc on a highway pulls above 120 mph. We all know what happens around that speed and Americans love highway roll racing. When the car is in production everyone has this perception that the quantity is endless. If you're cross shopping and doing research the NSX stays on your list only if you love it. The car is no longer in production and suddenly the market is aware of how many total NSXs were built, and my hell it's a shockingly low number! I've read over and over how people feel the Type S is how the NSX should have looked, it's a stunner. Not only that, only 300 will exist within the United States. With the quantity of NSXs capped, a unique face, owning something that's more rare than an Aventador; demand is going to be high! The regular NSX is still a pretty killer car. Three weeks before the Type S reveal I was working with a local dealer on a used 2017 NSX that was fully loaded for $150k. A cash buyer literally walked in and bought it out from under me. As much as people think the Gen 2 NSX was a design failure and didn't pay homage it is now forever part of car history. Your non-homage loving gen 2 NSX is unique because it has a story, it has history, and the number that exist is extremely low. If you own one you suddenly move from idiot who purchased an overweight underpowered over-hated gen 2 NSX into the category of aficionado. You own it because it has more in common with a 918 Porsche, McLaren P1, and La Ferrari than a long in the tooth GT-R. Eventually electric will take over everything, and so more factors than outright speed will be the reason you buy any of these cars. How much horsepower does the LFA have and it was a total flop and look how it's doing now. The only thing that will make your car go down in value are the miles and condition you keep it in. That's my reasoning.

I hear you, for every person who buys the Second Gen NSX whether the 2017-2021 or the Type S there is a story. I feel a lot of the criticism for the car coming out late is unjustified. Acura was working on a replacement during a tumultuous period of change. It takes a great deal of effort and often failures to get something right. I have heard all the reasons why the introduction of the NC1 was a failure. I also appreciate that it was a milestone vehicle that provided a hybrid supercar at pedestrian prices. Many on this forum could care less that the car was a hybrid. In fact that was their criticism. They wanted a 600 or 700 or 800 hp car that was rear drive and weighed 3100 lbs. and was only $75k in price.

Well a lot of people want a lot of things, but that is not the world we live in. While I am sad that the NC1 car is finished, there are a lot of reasons to consider the car a success. Honda/Acura accomplished a lot with this car. But there will always be criticism for one reason or another. I don’t care if beyond 120 miles per hour other cars can overtake the NSX. If that is Important to you then buy the other car. I really don’t care how fast a GTR is as I think it is a butt ugly car. I mean what the f…, Buy what ever you want.

I can guarantee that the last 350 NSXs being sold have 350 reasons why that person wanted the car. Who gives a rats ass. I lost out on a new one, but realized for me personally it was more about bragging rights then what the car represents. I will keep my 2017 until I either can no longer function or? I am in the minority as I am not planning on tracking my car. It is my daily driver to Costco, Home depot, Trader Joe’s and the occasional drive out to lunch.

I recall one person who was angry that Honda did not give special treatment to current owners of the NC1 so they could buy the new one before anyone else. He thought this is why no one buys the car…. Well buddy I was told by an insider that a loyal customer who had purchased 16 previous Acura’s was unable to get one of the last NSXs. That to me is a tragedy. I am thankful that Acura produced the NC1.

Last edited:
The type S is a resounding success....

[MENTION=36509]Ignition_Key[/MENTION]
You're right, it took Honda way too long to bring out this car. Similar to the issue Toyota had with the LFA. Concerning you not buying German or Italian. I hadn't even considered the market of buyers who wouldn't buy those cars. That leaves out a TON of cars.

The type S is a resounding success....

The difference now is the marketing and urgency. They did a good job at saying only 300 will be available in the USofA. They barely sold that many in a year the past two years. The advertising agency they hired sure did a good job.

The difference now is the marketing and urgency. They did a good job at saying only 300 will be available in the USofA. They barely sold that many in a year the past two years. The advertising agency they hired sure did a good job.

Yep, Fear of missing out at it's best :)

@chillznax what's your youtube channel?

My youtube name is chillznax. I haven't made a video in awhile, I'm pretty bad at it. I have been posting lately to my instagram account just because it's so easy. That account is chillznax1. I plan on posting a ton of NSX stuff with my friends when I get the car. I'm so jealous of you all for having one already.

I hear you, for every person who buys the Second Gen NSX whether the 2017-2021 or the Type S there is a story. I feel a lot of the criticism for the car coming out late is unjustified. Acura was working on a replacement during a tumultuous period of change. It takes a great deal of effort and often failures to get something right. I have heard all the reasons why the introduction of the NC1 was a failure. I also appreciate that it was a milestone vehicle that provided a hybrid supercar at pedestrian prices. Many on this forum could care less that the car was a hybrid. In fact that was their criticism. They wanted a 600 or 700 or 800 hp car that was rear drive and weighed 3100 lbs. and was only $75k in price.

Well a lot of people want a lot of things, but that is not the world we live in. While I am sad that the NC1 car is finished, there are a lot of reasons to consider the car a success. Honda/Acura accomplished a lot with this car. But there will always be criticism for one reason or another. I don’t care if beyond 120 miles per hour other cars can overtake the NSX. If that is Important to you then buy the other car. I really don’t care how fast a GTR is as I think it is a butt ugly car. I mean what the f…, Buy what ever you want.

I can guarantee that the last 350 NSXs being sold have 350 reasons why that person wanted the car. Who gives a rats ass. I lost out on a new one, but realized for me personally it was more about bragging rights then what the car represents. I will keep my 2017 until I either can no longer function or? I am in the minority as I am not planning on tracking my car. It is my daily driver to Costco, Home depot, Trader Joe’s and the occasional drive out to lunch.

I recall one person who was angry that Honda did not give special treatment to current owners of the NC1 so they could buy the new one before anyone else. He thought this is why no one buys the car…. Well buddy I was told by an insider that a loyal customer who had purchased 16 previous Acura’s was unable to get one of the last NSXs. That to me is a tragedy. I am thankful that Acura produced the NC1.

You know, I'm psyched that I could even get a car. I was working on getting a used 2017 and some rich guy with cash bought it out from under me. I figure most of these cars will go to dealer owners, their freeloading kids, or someone who has connections with the dealer. That's probably a negative outlook. I definitely didn't expect to a regular guy like me who wrenches on cars in his garage to somehow snag an allocation. If it's any consolation to those previous owners who couldn't get one, just know that at least one real gear head who's not rich and doesn't have connections will have obtained this car and will cherish it.

Your comment about the criticisms of the NC1 somewhat make me hope Honda's 3rd gen NSX is nothing like the previous two. NSX stands for New Sportscar eXperimental right? People are used to a car having some relation to the original with evolutionary changes between generations. I personally would love if every NSX was something radically different since it's an experimental technology on an entirely new platform, not some evolutionary change from a previous one.

Your comment about the criticisms of the NC1 somewhat make me hope Honda's 3rd gen NSX is nothing like the previous two. NSX stands for New Sportscar eXperimental right? People are used to a car having some relation to the original with evolutionary changes between generations. I personally would love if every NSX was something radically different since it's an experimental technology on an entirely new platform, not some evolutionary change from a previous one.

I suspect it will go that way, whether by design or not. Since we're hearing the 3rd gen development has moved back to Japan, that right there is going to lead to pretty much a "clean sheet" approach, both culturally and due to the Japanese team wanting to put their own stamp on things. What I hope and expect is that there will continue to be certain throwback/homage elements in each subsequent design to maintain a small degree of respect for and connection to the first two gens of the car.

I suspect it will go that way, whether by design or not. Since we're hearing the 3rd gen development has moved back to Japan, that right there is going to lead to pretty much a "clean sheet" approach, both culturally and due to the Japanese team wanting to put their own stamp on things. What I hope and expect is that there will continue to be certain throwback/homage elements in each subsequent design to maintain a small degree of respect for and connection to the first two gens of the car.

If the development has moved back to Japan, then you better bet that the 3rd gen NSX is going to be a wonderful machine........ The Japanese know how to do things right!

If the development has moved back to Japan, then you better bet that the 3rd gen NSX is going to be a wonderful machine........ The Japanese know how to do things right!

i wish for once people would stop having to compare one generation of car to another. The current car can stand alone and do so proudly. Everyone wants to shit on the US effort versus as if they did not produce an extraordinary car. I had a 91 for 5 years-great car but was happy to sell it as I became bored. The 2001 I had lasted 14 years before I decided to sell it. I modified the car with Comptech everything. It was a great car. Did I care if it paid homage to my earlier 91 NSX? Absolutely not, I bought the car because it improved dramatically over the earlier version.

As is the case with my 2017. Did I want the car to be my earlier 2001 or 91 NSX? Absolutely not. I purchased it because it was different. The MSRP price was appropriate for what you got Plus. Everyone wants the car to be what they want otherwise they decree it is not worth it. It is a broken record how many profess if only they had a engine out of stock (rather then the Cosworth) they could have saved $75000 and then I could have purchased one. Of course I would need it to sell for no more than $75,000. Then they would have a hit and be successful. How many ways can I say Bullshit. There are many affordable cars under $100,000 that these critics could buy. Please!

and to suggest that now the Japanese can build a really good car? That is another Bullshit opinion. Honda/Acura worked on this car. It was no secret. You don’t understand Corporate management if you think differently. The NC1 was and is an extraordinary car.

Last edited:

I think it will derive more appearance- but none of the function, obviously- from the Gen1. Japanese customers were upset with the NC1 appearance, as they believed it did not derive enough of the Gen1. They found it disrespectful, which matters significantly in Japanese culture. The Acura design team was somewhat tone deaf to this issue, since here in the US, it doesn't matter as much. American customers want newer and better, where the Japanese have more reverence for what came before. It's not an accident that it sold a lot more in the US.

The NC1 powertrain is almost totally a Honda Japan design and is brilliant. US Acura owned the body, structure and suspension. The multi-material frame is also a marvel of engineering. I think the Gen3 is going to blow people away, personally. Honda has been working on this technology for almost 30 years.

i wish for once people would stop having to compare one generation of car to another. The current car can stand alone and do so proudly. Everyone wants to shit on the US effort versus as if they did not produce an extraordinary car. I had a 91 for 5 years-great car but was happy to sell it as I became bored. The 2001 I had lasted 14 years before I decided to sell it. I modified the car with Comptech everything. It was a great car. Did I care if it paid homepage to my earlier 91 NSX? Absolutely not, I bought the car because it improved dramatically over the earlier version.

As is the case with my 2017. Did I want the car to be my earlier 2001 or 91 NSX? Absolutely not. I purchased it because it was different. The MSRP price was appropriate for what you got Plus. Everyone wants the car to be what they want otherwise they decree it is not worth it. It is a broken record how many profess if only they had a engine out of stock (rather then the Cosworth) they could have saved $75000 and then I could have purchased one. Of course I would need it to sell for no more than $75,000. Then they would have a hit and be successful. How many ways can I say Bullshit. There are many affordable cars under $100,000 that these critics could buy. Please!

and to suggest that now the Japanese can build a really good car? That is another Bullshit opinion. Honda/Acura worked on this car. It was no secret. You don’t understand Corporate management if you think differently. The NC1 was and is an extraordinary car.

I don't think he was saying the NC1 is bad- he just bought a Type-S! I do think, as noted above, the Japanese team will approach the Gen3 NSX differently. I personally believe ALL NSXs are amazing cars and we are lucky to have a company like Honda willing to take risks with it.

i wish for once people would stop having to compare one generation of car to another. The current car can stand alone and do so proudly. Everyone wants to shit on the US effort versus as if they did not produce an extraordinary car. I had a 91 for 5 years-great car but was happy to sell it as I became bored. The 2001 I had lasted 14 years before I decided to sell it. I modified the car with Comptech everything. It was a great car. Did I care if it paid homepage to my earlier 91 NSX? Absolutely not, I bought the car because it improved dramatically over the earlier version.

Agree.

We can't make the NSX, or any other car, into what we want. We can decide to buy or not buy. I loved the original NSX when it came out in the 90s. I was in high school, so definitely not able to buy.

But, the second generation blew me out of the water. The look, the personality of the car, the capability/performance and how it stood out better than most of those brand cars with bigger names. The price did not bother me at all, including brand new build at over 200,000, based on the engineering and its unique interpretation, at the time, on the future of supercars. Today, we know that interpretation is spot on as big brands are following the same path.

It also got a lot of hate in the media which I loved, as it meant people are noticing it and it will be a historic car. At the same time, drive it around town and people follow it, come up to you to talk about it and endlessly crack necks. This told me that the car is special, how it made people feel, kids, adults, women, men, white, black, bikers etc.

The key was I judged the car on its own, not in comparison to others.

It was the right fit for me.

Good news is, there are plenty of cars out in the market with different features to fit the buyer and what is important to them. Ultimately, when you buy a car, it has to fit you and your personality and what is important.

So you should spend your money in a manner to make you happy.

I will never buy many exotics out there, but I don't spend my days criticizing them either as they are near and dear car to the hearts of many, for their specific reasons. I also do appreciate their interpretation on the performance car and check them out at car shows regularly.

Whether you end up buying the NSX, Type S or not, it is a special car that history will remember and those of us that adopted the NSX interpretation of the supercar do not regret it.

NSX Type S Demand

Agree.

We can't make the NSX, or any other car, into what we want. We can decide to buy or not buy. I loved the original NSX when it came out in the 90s. I was in high school, so definitely not able to buy.

But, the second generation blew me out of the water. The look, the personality of the car, the capability/performance and how it stood out better than most of those brand cars with bigger names. The price did not bother me at all, including brand new build at over 200,000, based on the engineering and its unique interpretation, at the time, on the future of supercars. Today, we know that interpretation is spot on as big brands are following the same path.

It also got a lot of hate in the media which I loved, as it meant people are noticing it and it will be a historic car. At the same time, drive it around town and people follow it, come up to you to talk about it and endlessly crack necks. This told me that the car is special, how it made people feel, kids, adults, women, men, white, black, bikers etc.

The key was I judged the car on its own, not in comparison to others.

It was the right fit for me.

Good news is, there are plenty of cars out in the market with different features to fit the buyer and what is important to them. Ultimately, when you buy a car, it has to fit you and your personality and what is important.

So you should spend your money in a manner to make you happy.

I will never buy many exotics out there, but I don't spend my days criticizing them either as they are near and dear car to the hearts of many, for their specific reasons. I also do appreciate their interpretation on the performance car and check them out at car shows regularly.

Whether you end up buying the NSX, Type S or not, it is a special car that history will remember and those of us that adopted the NSX interpretation of the supercar do not regret it.

I agree, I have been looking at the NSX since the 2019 changes, I was considering a purchase when I read the "Type R" rumors and decided to wait. I have read about the car since introduction and I have watched the PMS production and painting video's, amazing.

When I read 2022 was the final year and all would be a Type S, I sent an email to Acura for online ordering information, they directed me to my Acura dealer, I contacted the dealer and I was told I was the first to ask about it. I went to the dealer and placed my order on Friday 8/13, I was told I was the first (only) order at that time, my $10,000 deposit check cleared, I expect to get an allocation, but I have not heard from Acura. I think my dealer is a top 70, they have a NSX service person and sales person listed on their website. I am not sure, but I expect that anyone who is allocated one of the 299 cars should receive a call from Acura to verify their order in September, until I am called by Acura, I am not sure I will get the car I ordered, but I am confident. I plan to go to the PMC if I get an allocation, also the engine plant and time on their racetrack.

Back