• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Type S or GT4 RS

I went through that thought process and the RS was fall back 1..ZO6 was 2..For me the Type S would be the better all around do everything car. The RS might save a few bucks but more track focused...Plus the aesthetics of the NC1 fit my gestalt better.

I am not a P car guy but really like the fact that they are moving up the power and performance for the mid engine platform.

That car should be amazing on the backroads and a track.

i like the GT4RS.

depends on how you would use it.

daily: NSX
track duty/collector item: GT4RS.

i dont think any GT4RS will sell for less than the Type-S.

Had zero interest on the Type-S since I am not a fan of the drivetrain architecture of the NC1.

That been said the Type-S should have been a variation-model and not a limited edition IMHO, so that folks would have had a chance to get one if they really wanted one.

Can't really wrap my head around of why someone would cross shop a Type-S with a 718 GT4 RS, polar opposites in regards to platform architecture (NA engine RWD) vs (Turbo V6, Hybrid AWD). The driving dynamics will be very different as well. The only thing in common is the Mid Engine architecture and that about summarizes it.

Ended up submitting a configuration for a build for the GT4 RS last week to the dealer, now just need to wait for an allocation to become available for the car.

Also waiting for my turn to order the C8 Z06, that will probably be sometime in 2023 at the earliest given my position in the waitlist at the dealer.

I would think that sports car customers consider a lot of cars.

The GT4 RS is something that was recently disclosed, so it populates itself into would I, should I lists like your target Z06 has for you.

I would imagine that Henry Ruggs III is also thinking about getting a Z06 to replace his crashed C8, although I hope he spends some time in jail prior to that purchase.

I would think that sports car customers consider a lot of cars.

The GT4 RS is something that was recently disclosed, so it populates itself into would I, should I lists like your target Z06 has for you.

Someone who is shopping for an AWD Hybrid Mid Engine car would cross shop it against a McLaren Artura, Ferrari 296 GTB or the future E-Ray (C8 with electric front motors).

Most people who will be able to purchase the GT4 RS have been on lists for many years or are VIP's or are willing to pay serious ADM for the car.
I personally have been on a list for a GT4 RS since 2015. Prototypes of the GT4 RS have been doing the rounds at the Nurburgring as early as 2017.

I have been on a wait list for the C8 Z06 for a while as well, before the car was even announced or making the rounds at the Nuburgring.

I'm guessing that most folks had their name down for a Type-S even before the car was announced.

Then again some folks have a very short attention span and are easily distracted by the latest shiny object.

Someone who is shopping for an AWD Hybrid Mid Engine car would cross shop it against a McLaren Artura, Ferrari 296 GTB or the future E-Ray (C8 with electric front motors).

Most people who will be able to purchase the GT4 RS have been on lists for many years or are VIP's or are willing to pay serious ADM for the car.
I personally have been on a list for a GT4 RS since 2015. Prototypes of the GT4 RS have been doing the rounds at the Nurburgring as early as 2017.

I have been on a wait list for the C8 Z06 for a while as well, before the car was even announced or making the rounds at the Nuburgring.

I'm guessing that most folks had their name down for a Type-S even before the car was announced.

Then again some folks have a very short attention span and are easily distracted by the latest shiny object.

Here is where i'm coming from between the 2 car choices. I always love the Nsx gen 1 or 2. when they announced the type S i was sold. i'm next in line in a top 5 dealership for the type s. I'm a car nut, I always wanted a fun but rare car to drive that will hold value well. Since I have a front engine car already a CR my next car would be a mid engine or a GT3 992.
When the spec came out for a GT4 RS with the same GT3 motor in a mid engine set up i'm in love more so then what type S has to offer because NSX gen2 may be the first few this the hybrid set up but the RS is most likely the first and last of putting close to a racing engine in the mid engine set up. Thats still within my reach.
I got lucky to be 3 in line for one with out paying crazy ADM since its not limited production and the dealer is a high volume dealer i feel i got a very good chance to getting one. If somehow I get lucky and got offer to buy both cars It'll be a hard choice. I know they are different type cars normally people won't cross shop but if you have a very good chance to have both land in your favor you still need to make a choice.

Here is where i'm coming from between the 2 car choices. I always love the Nsx gen 1 or 2. when they announced the type S i was sold. i'm next in line in a top 5 dealership for the type s. I'm a car nut, I always wanted a fun but rare car to drive that will hold value well. Since I have a front engine car already a CR my next car would be a mid engine or a GT3 992.
When the spec came out for a GT4 RS with the same GT3 motor in a mid engine set up i'm in love more so then what type S has to offer because NSX gen2 may be the first few this the hybrid set up but the RS is most likely the first and last of putting close to a racing engine in the mid engine set up. Thats still within my reach.
I got lucky to be 3 in line for one with out paying crazy ADM since its not limited production and the dealer is a high volume dealer i feel i got a very good chance to getting one. If somehow I get lucky and got offer to buy both cars It'll be a hard choice. I know they are different type cars normally people won't cross shop but if you have a very good chance to have both land in your favor you still need to make a choice.

Sounds like you have already made up your mind.

Be aware that the GT4 RS will be a very rough car to drive on roads since it has monoball bushings and higher spring rates than a regular GT4 and even less sound insulation than the regular GT4 (the GT4 already has less sound insulation than regular 718 vehicles).

Since you already own a S2K CR, you are probably used to driving cars with track oriented suspensions. The NC1 (Type-S included) is a car with all kinds of onboard computer related assistance (a very digital experience with a layer between the driver and the car), the GT4 should be a very modern analog car in contrast. (Besides it been PDK vs a manual transmission car).

Best of luck with your purchase.

I'm not concerned about the specific systems analysis in my choosing...for me its still a seat a window and a steering wheel..just what I like looking at and busting a move..

For myself……. There’s tons of awesome sport cars out there! And regardless of what we get…..there is always something better, badder & faster. I like having something unique…. That you don’t see often or rarely. Got the Vantage when It first came out….. and rarely saw another one…. Even now. My daily is the Alfa Quadrifoglio…..never see one…. And mine is the Q’Ring Edition….. only one of I think 55….worldwide! And the only NSX I ever see now….. is mine! Even at the local cars & coffee…. Ferrari’s…. Bugatti’s…..everything….. but a 2nd Gen NSX! It’s nice being the only guy on the block!

I don't know how much power the GT 4 RS will deliver but I've been track day racing in and against a GT4 and was honestly disappointed by the lack of torque in the midrange.
What about looking into the DeMan motorsport Cayman build with a 4.5 L engine producing 500 WHP?
https://demanmotorsport.com/4-5l-cayman/

I don't know how much power the GT 4 RS will deliver but I've been track day racing in and against a GT4 and was honestly disappointed by the lack of torque in the midrange.
What about looking into the DeMan motorsport Cayman build with a 4.5 L engine producing 500 WHP?
https://demanmotorsport.com/4-5l-cayman/

GT4RS 500ps => 493hp 9000RPM engine, stiffer suspension, shorter gears and more aero than a 718 GT4.

A GT4 RS will be about 2-3 seconds faster per lap vs a regular GT4 for most tracks 2.3miles or longer even when running standard R-compound tires.

A 7:05 at the Nurburgring with the Cup 2R's is about a 7:15 lap at the Nurburgring with regular MPSC2's (10 seconds worth of laptime just by the Cup 2R's vs the regular Cup 2's).

The the car itself is already 13 seconds faster than a regular 718 GT4 at the ring without taking into account the stickier Cup2 R's.

Taking a 718 GT4 swapping the LCA bushings to non-compliance as well as the various links => easily costs $3K once you include parts and labor USD
DeMan 4.5L build is close to $30K for the engine upgrade itself
The PDK gearbox on the RS has shorter gears than the regular 718 GT4 PDK. (not sure if that is even possible aftermarket, only choice would be to use a RS gearbox that will be another 10~15K right there)
Upgaded brakes + suspension + aero easily worth another $10K-$15K
Costs anywhere from $3-$5K to transport the car cross country FL -> NY then NY -< FL or CA -> NY then NY -> CA.

So you are looking at 45K ~ 50K for the cost of the upgrades + the cost of a GT4. (And you will still won't get the shorter ratios in the PDK)

At the end of the day you end up with a car that is going to cost about as much as a GT4 RS or even more, that won't have a warranty and won't be street legal in most states in the United States.

Not sure how people are getting around emission testing since the engine clearly does not meet emissions and is intended for off road use only since it is not certified as a road legal engine.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spy...s-thread-deman-motorsport.html?ispreloading=1

If you ever decide to sell the car you won't be able to get your money back.

BGB Racing in FL as well as Sharkwerks in CA offer similar builds.

GT4RS 500ps => 493hp 9000RPM engine, stiffer suspension, shorter gears and more aero than a 718 GT4.

A GT4 RS will be about 2-3 seconds faster per lap vs a regular GT4 for most tracks 2.3miles or longer even when running standard R-compound tires.

A 7:05 at the Nurburgring with the Cup 2R's is about a 7:15 lap at the Nurburgring with regular MPSC2's (10 seconds worth of laptime just by the Cup 2R's vs the regular Cup 2's).

The the car itself is already 13 seconds faster than a regular 718 GT4 at the ring without taking into account the stickier Cup2 R's.

Taking a 718 GT4 swapping the LCA bushings to non-compliance as well as the various links => easily costs $3K once you include parts and labor USD
DeMan 4.5L build is close to $30K for the engine upgrade itself
The PDK gearbox on the RS has shorter gears than the regular 718 GT4 PDK. (not sure if that is even possible aftermarket, only choice would be to use a RS gearbox that will be another 10~15K right there)
Upgaded brakes + suspension + aero easily worth another $10K-$15K
Costs anywhere from $3-$5K to transport the car cross country FL -> NY then NY -< FL or CA -> NY then NY -> CA.

So you are looking at 45K ~ 50K for the cost of the upgrades + the cost of a GT4. (And you will still won't get the shorter ratios in the PDK)

At the end of the day you end up with a car that is going to cost about as much as a GT4 RS or even more, that won't have a warranty and won't be street legal in most states in the United States.

Not sure how people are getting around emission testing since the engine clearly does not meet emissions and is intended for off road use only since it is not certified as a road legal engine.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spy...s-thread-deman-motorsport.html?ispreloading=1

If you ever decide to sell the car you won't be able to get your money back.

BGB Racing in FL as well as Sharkwerks in CA offer similar builds.

I believe you have answered the initial question: GT4 RS vs NSX type S.
On one hand you have a racing car and on the other a GT supercar.
I've been at Spa in Belgium in and against a NC1 with my turbocharged NSX and was very impressed at how easy it was to go fast in the latest NSX.
The drive out of the tight corners was unbelievable!

Saw your post and thought we'd chime in since we have a fair share of GT3 / GT4 clients in the Bay Area and build a lot of Porsche parts too!

We took delivery of our our Type-S last night, (previous NC1 owner) and we had a 997 GT3 and now planning to take delivery of our 992 GT2 PTS color later this year.

Our good friend has a GT4 now and has the allocation for the GT4RS.

So with that out of the way, we think the Type-S is going to be far superior to the RS because of so many factors. Don't forget no matter what trim factor you pick the GT4 is still the entry level of the Porsche cars. The car always felt it lacked mid range torque and the interior is not comfortable for long road trips. Add to it the RWD and no manual tranny option, it rules that car out in our eyes.

The GT3 would be a more more fair and better comparison to the Type-S. Both are flagship models and both offer a lot for your money.

Quite honestly we think the GT3 will be the superior car if you just consider the fun factor of the 6-speed. We won't know till we put more miles on both cars however the NSX Type-S we think will be the Swiss army of the cars, as it can do pretty much anything and still pickup grandma on weekends :)

This is all assuming price is not a factor....

With the huge ADM on a GT4RS being around $150k+ from what we heard, that would put the car deep into the $300k+ range easy. Does that still make the car such a good deal? Only you can answer that questions.

Totally different cars in my mind as many have said. One seems like the peak of the old guard. The other a nibble into the future (which can have it's downsides in terms of obsolescence). However, the easy answer is buy the one that fits your use case best - easy decision here as again, both still different.

If you can only pick one type S or the GT4 RS assuming money is not an issue which would it be.
If only 1, I would take Type S for sure. It is a ridiculously good all around car. Before picking up the NSX-S which is my 3rd NC1. My back up plan was F8 Tributo, 992 GT3, Performante (now Tecnica since it was announced later), 992 TTS, R8 V10 Plus, another 19 to 21 non -S NC1 (19+ has improvements that made the car less nervous and more fun to drive).

If money no objective, I would totally would get both + Hurcan Tecnica, C8 Z06, 992 GT3, 992 Turbo S (with new lightweight package), Speciale, F8 Tributo and add some all time great classics such as S2000 CR, E92 M3 manual, ITR, R34 GTR, 993 Turbo. Essentially a garage that mimic my Forza Horizon garage. Can go way crazier to F40, F50, CGT, LFA, etc, just trying to keep it as realistic as possible to real life.

If only 1, I would take Type S for sure. It is a ridiculously good all around car. Before picking up the NSX-S which is my 3rd NC1. My back up plan was F8 Tributo, 992 GT3, Performante (now Tecnica since it was announced later), 992 TTS, R8 V10 Plus, another 19 to 21 non -S NC1 (19+ has improvements that made the car less nervous and more fun to drive).

If money no objective, I would totally would get both + Hurcan Tecnica, C8 Z06, 992 GT3, 992 Turbo S (with new lightweight package), Speciale, F8 Tributo and add some all time great classics such as S2000 CR, E92 M3 manual, ITR, R34 GTR, 993 Turbo. Essentially a garage that mimic my Forza Horizon garage. Can go way crazier to F40, F50, CGT, LFA, etc, just trying to keep it as realistic as possible to real life.

I'm just happy to see you active on Prime again! And glad that you got a Type-S! You definitely deserve it and I'm happy you got an allocation.

I'm just happy to see you active on Prime again! And glad that you got a Type-S! You definitely deserve it and I'm happy you got an allocation.
Thank you and thanks to NSXprime. Otherwise, I may not have gotten it. The post mentioning automated listings motivated me to check daily and call.

So far pretty happy, added wireless carplay adaptor, sprint booster, just need child seat and ppf next week then it is ready for daily duty.

Hopefully when the next gen comes process be a little smoother. NA1/NA2/NC1 and future NSX for sure always be my favorite. I hope they offer something new sportscar experimental again in next version. My guess it be EV, please offer one with ability to shift and some nice sound or better like i4 M50 or Taycan.

Last edited:
Thank you and thanks to NSXprime. Otherwise, I may not have gotten it. The post mentioning automated listings motivated me to check daily and call.

So far pretty happy, added wireless carplay adaptor, sprint booster, just need child seat and ppf next week then it is ready for daily duty.

Hopefully when the next gen comes process be a little smoother. NA1/NA2/NC1 and future NSX for sure always be my favorite. I hope they offer something new sportscar experimental again in next version. My guess it be EV, please offer one with ability to shift and some nice sound or better like i4 M50 or Taycan.

I tried to convince Mrs. Honcho to get a NC1, but she would not do it. I'm going to try again with the Gen3. :)

I myself prefer the Gen1 experience, so I'm sticking with my LHD S-Zero.

I tried to convince Mrs. Honcho to get a NC1, but she would not do it. I'm going to try again with the Gen3. :)

I myself prefer the Gen1 experience, so I'm sticking with my LHD S-Zero.

I am looking forward to Gen 3 as well, all I wish for is something new to set it apart from all the EVs, doesn't have to be fastest. Mainly ability to shift, then I am totally sold. The Taycan Turbo S almost did it for me, drives like 911, but not having ability to shift, it got old rapidly. I don't think I can be very excited regardless how fast EV gets until it can offer ability to shift beyond just 2 gears.

For the Mrs, I share my experience. My mrs asked for Tesla since 2015, I said no no no no no, absolutely no way, and went though Range Rover, BMW for her essentially cars I wanted. Then in 2017 I gave in, life changed, convenience it offers, maintenance free, problem free, we often take trips for no particular reason and just hop on and go. Free life time supercharging too. 70k miles later, I offered her G63 or Urus choice to replace our aging Models S with ludicrous +, she said Plaid Model X, doesn't want anything besides Tesla. Only want most efficient comfy car for the kids. If no more delay, next month delivery. The decision of giving in back in 2017 paid for very much all my cars including Type S and then some. Prior to 2017 I never bought a single share of tsla pre split, nor traded a single contract of tsla options. Back then I was selling mostly selling $5 to $30 tsla cash secured naked put options and long leap calls. Absolutely insane ride.

I like Gen 1 and Gen 2 NSX experience the same, somedays I want analog, somedays I crave something different. There were only twice in my life that I see a car I had to have it. First was back in 90s original NSX when I was younger, first gen NSX too was life changing for me, probably more so than Tesla, I was 100% driven by the desire to obtain it. That really helped me fundamentally for rest of my life. I was certain and moved on from NC1 after having 17 and 19. The 17 and 19 was just an efficient car for me, wasn't sexy enough for me to want it more than just daily driver. Then the day Type S unveiled, it gave me the same feeling I had when I first saw the Gen 1 and I had to have it. Rest is history.

We have very very small window of opportunity until most of everything become EVs in a few years. Hybrids will be gone as well. From 90s, to S2000 and beyond like C8 Z06, ZR1, there are many more last of it kind soon.

Last edited:
Back