• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Type-S power numbers? Hmmmm....

2020 model
Engine alone
500hp @ 6500-7500
406ftlbs @ 2000-6000
https://acura-nsx.com/2020-acura-nsx/

Type-S
Engine alone
520hp @ 6500-6850
443ftlbs @ 2300-6000
https://acuranews.com/en-US/release...-2022-acura-nsx-revealed-at-monterey-car-week

Engine:
I’m not sure how Acura calculates the hp since I can’t seem to get their numbers when I add up the motors plus the engine. Interestingly the maximum engine speed and power for all models previous up to 2021 is 7500rpm EXCEPT the Type-S which uses 6850rpm. That leaves 650rpm unaccounted. With larger GT3 turbos one would assume higher HP numbers at higher rpms over the old turbo unless Acura is limiting the power. But if you were limiting the power why list 6850rpm specifically and not the full 7500rpm limit like all previous models?

Motors:
The electric motor output is exactly the same between the 2020 model and Type-S. How is that possible when the Type-S news release states:

"The gear ratio for the Twin Motor Unit (TMU) that powers the front wheels and provides active torque vectoring in corners has been lowered to 10.382:1 from 8.050:1. This 20 percent lower ratio increases off-the-line torque, giving NSX a powerful launch."

And

"Additionally, the supercar’s Intelligent Power Unit (IPU) providing power to the electric motors is used more efficiently. This allows for a 20 percent higher usable battery capacity, and 10 percent greater battery output."

A lower gear ratio and 10% greater battery output and there is no change in hp or torque numbers for the motors?!?!? I think Acura is sand bagging the Type-S. Under promising and over delivering. Based on gear reduction and increased battery output, I would expect that the 0-60ft is closer to if not 2.5 seconds now.

Almost 40 lbs of torque is significant. Yes I think they quietly produced a screamer to close it out. The video they show of the car shows it lighting up the rears like a drift car. Kind of a SAYONARA!

Yes, I definitely agree that Acura is under-stating the true horsepower of the Type-S. Porsche tends to do this with the 911 Turbo and Turbo S. They have tended to be very conservative with their quoted 0 to 60 mph and quarter-mile times and correspondingly lowball the hp figures.

There's a quick formula for calculating horsepower:

(Torque X RPM)/ 5252 (a constant).

So torque and horsepower always match each other at 5252 rpm.

If you apply the formula to one of the data points given in the press releases (6000 rpms because that's the highest rpm they quote torque for):

For a 2020 model we get:

6000 times 406ftlbs divided by 5252 = 463.83 hp - this is just for the ICE so the electric motors contribution has to be added.

For the Type S we have:

6000 times 443ftlbs divided by 5252 = 506.09 hp - again ICE only.

So at 6000 rpms the Type S has a 42.26 hp advantage over a 2020 model; again this is just from the twin turbo V6. With the larger turbos and 25 percent more flow from the injectors I would expect the differential to increase as the engine goes from 6000 to 7500 rpm.

I suspect they are concealing gains from the electric motors as well. Now add in quicker shifts from the transmission, better cooling from the intercoolers, improved traction from the Pirelli tires and I think there will be a substantial performance gain:)

I'm just happy the carbon roof is back...

For the Type S we have:

6000 times 443ftlbs divided by 5252 = 506.09 hp - again ICE only.

So at 6000 rpms the Type S has a 42.26 hp advantage over a 2020 model; again this is just from the twin turbo V6. With the larger turbos and 25 percent more flow from the injectors I would expect the differential to increase as the engine goes from 6000 to 7500 rpm.

I suspect they are concealing gains from the electric motors as well. Now add in quicker shifts from the transmission, better cooling from the intercoolers, improved traction from the Pirelli tires and I think there will be a substantial performance gain:)

Taking a look at the Speed of Science JB4 graph. The green line with downpipes, JB4 and 93 octane looks like it may be pretty close to what we should expect performance wise. That's pretty good "start" to those that want to push the limits of larger turbos, injectors and more efficient intercooler. A JB4 power increase, like the purple line gain, on top of the green line could be 650 to the wheel. That would be faster than anything we have seen to date with the JB4.

I'm also interested in how the stock Acura modified curve looks compared to the JB4 green line. More power under the curve than aftermarket or is it basically the same?!?

JB4-Tuning-Box-Testing.jpg

@kim all depends on the engine management system and tuning in place.

Same way it neuters the car now with the variable electric motor output as the Ice engine output increases.

Honda has never been one to sand bag like the Mcars or AMGs.

I suspect any increase in performance will come from the front motors and if they still shut off before the 1/4 mile and/or 130mph all the standard performance metrics will still be “off”.

Think you’d still be better off with the JB4.

On a side note I was cruising with my buddy with a 765 and another with a Huracan Perf and on launch the current cars handle their own extremely well. Wish we could increase things to a 3500rpm launch and that would be a game changer.

Thanks Droptopp: Well we'll have to see what actually comes out when the cars are released. I've already contacted Payam at Berger and Science of Speed and offered to let them use my Type S, if I get one, for developing a JB4 and whatever else and received positive feedback. My dealer hasn't got any info yet to pass on as I don't have an allocated unit but I'm sure mine will be a later build, though I feel pretty good about my chances. I am thinking that the Type S with a JB4 should be a pretty strong performer with the bigger turbos and injectors.

Yes a stronger launch would help, traction permitting. My best 60 foot so far is 1.615 secs and that yielded an 1/8 mile time of 6.82 secs which is booking. I haven't tried this yet but wonder if putting the car in just sport plus mode and trying to do a standard brake torque without launch control would work. I have a stock GMC Syclone and took that to Irwindale and managed to get a 1.67 sec 60 foot time and 8.10 sec 1/8 mile. That was doing a launch with about 5 psi of boost with the truck barely holding the stage with street tires. So I am wondering if you could do the same thing with the NC1?

I'm probably going to be waiting a long time for my Type S to actually get built. By then I should have my 2022 911 Turbo S and so I won't mind waiting for Jb4 development on the Type S because I'll have the TTS so play with for drag racing in the interim. I'll be keeping my NC1 until i get the Type S and if I don't get one then I'll just keep the NC1.

Last edited:
A lot of interesting questions and topics were brought up in this thread. I made a quick reflection on two of them.

Engine:
I’m not sure how Acura calculates the hp since I can’t seem to get their numbers when I add up the motors plus the engine.

They don't just add the total numbers together like some other manufacturers do - they add them together based on the rev. That's why you see a lower number.

Kim, when it comes to launching the NSX, someone stated that with a delicate right foot it was possible to beat the built-in launch function, but not easily. Give it a try :)

My2C

A lot of interesting questions and topics were brought up in this thread. I made a quick reflection on two of them.

They don't just add the total numbers together like some other manufacturers do - they add them together based on the rev. That's why you see a lower number.

Kim, when it comes to launching the NSX, someone stated that with a delicate right foot it was possible to beat the built-in launch function, but not easily. Give it a try :)

My2C

Thank you for the suggestion Dice. I'm going to give it a try. Im going to Irwindale Drag Strip on Sept 25 for an Elite Tuner car show and they have drag racing that day. The problem I have had the last few times I went was too much downtime waiting in staging lanes due to either cars blowing up, leaking fluid or crashing into the wall, all of which means clean up time and waiting up to 2 plus hours to get a single pass down the track. Hopefully I can get a few runs in next time to try this out. Whether this will work or not of course likely depends on how well the track is hooking up.

Back