• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Typical Newbie Question..Doooooh

Greetings from down under.

Guys .Here we go again!!

My prospective buy: 1991 red coupe.
72000 miles, one owner last 4yrs, all log books up to date etc.

Please..why shouldn't I buy it?

Sure you've answered this a hundred times- sorry.

What should I, and/or qualified mech particularly look for?

Its from a reputable dealer. The $'s equate to approx $33000 u.s.
Thanks in anticipation.

(Steve)

I think the price might be a little high. Most of the 1991's with that amount of mileage are going for under 30's now.

As far as other problems, did snap ring affect NON-us cars? Ken might know that answer.

Also, the window regulator issue is a factor.

You can find out all kinds of information on he FAQ on this site. If you haven't already, look through it and you will learn most of what you need to know.

Good luck.

PS.. how rare are NSX's down under?

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

The only problem I can see is the price .$33,000.00 US dollars is high.Of course a car that was perfect with a lot of mods might be valued at that price.Assuming ALL was in perfect condition and installed recently.
supercharger
coil-over suspension
aftermarket wheels and tires
455 gears/short gear set
new clutch preferably aftermarket
And lastly that the timing belt/water pump/
and I think there was a problem w/ rubber coolant lines that were later replaced steel lines in that year.Last and definatly NOT least check if the tranny is within "snap ring" range (if not pull 2200 USD off the top)
FOR ME if the car had all of the above at least MOST of the above then the price would meet the car.yES i AM ASKING A LOT but i HAVE A LOT OF CHOICES TODAY.
I am valuing the mods and proper preventive maintainance at 8-10 thousand naturally I would be only willing to pay for HALF the original cost of major mods and none of the expected to be maintained and or changed things.The dealers asking price for this car and willing to sell price is at least 5000 USD less (thats what I would expect to pay)
25000.00-30000.00 assuming it was bone stock and
-tranny was not snap ring failure range.
- timing belt and water pump were changed
-cooler lines were updated
-clutch was new or near new
-preferably a 1 owner car.
-impecable condition with the exeption of minor rock chips.
-AND I'M SURE IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER "ISSUES" TO LOOK FOR THE OTHERS HERE WILL POST SOME HELP AND OR CORRECT MY MISTAKEN SPECIFICS OR OVERLOOKED 91' POTENTIAL PROBLEMS.

------------------

Pricing in Australia may be very different from in the States. I don't think anyone on this side of the big pond can judge whether that's a good price or not.

The snap ring problem affected NSX's around the world. The tranny ID range quoted in the FAQ is used worldwide as well, so you can just look at the transmission to determine whether it is in the snap ring range or not.

Thanks everyone. Great.
Yep they are rarer here.

It is immaculate and I havent started haggling.

(New sales approx 15!!! per annum)

Thanks again,

Regards Steve

Originally posted by NetViper:
I think the price might be a little high.

Hey Dave, have you ever seen an NSX that wasn't priced too high? Everytime price comes up on these boards, you always respond to the post saying the price is too high. I can think of at least 6 times off the top of my head. I bet the Forums Nazi could dig 'em all up....
smile.gif
Are you trying to drag the prices down to help you?
biggrin.gif

Back