• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

UFC 84 'Ill Will'... place your bets

That time again. I'm stoked for this event, so I thought i'd provide a technical breakdown for the hardcore MMA guys. This card is pretty stacked, and several of the fights have some heavy implications.

1. B.J. Penn vs Sean Sherk (LW Title Fight)
Penn is IMO the most talented person in MMA. Unreal flexibility and TD defense, top notch subs, heavy hands and strong chin. He's beaten Din, Caol, Serra, Gomi, Hughes, Bang, 2 Gracies, Jens, and Stevenson. He's fought from LW to HW, and went the distance w/ Machida @ HW. He was whooping GSP until he gassed, and had Hughes beat again until he separated a rib. Sherk has a killer shoot, and he's beaten Karo twice and his cousin Manvel, Tiki, Radach, Diaz, Florian, + Franca. Neither guy has ever been KO'd and each only has one TKO loss, but Sherk hasn't finished a fight since '05. B.J. is also 3" taller than Sean.
Prediction - Penn by submission.

2. Wanderlei Silva vs Keith Jardine
I've seen every one of Wand's fights, incl his Vale Tudo bouts. His combination of sheer aggression and vicious Muay Thai are exciting to say the least. He tends to charge in with some looping strikes and chin exposed sometimes, but his fight w/ Chuck showed he is capable of evolving and adapting, and also absorbing Chuck's bombs. Anyone who says he's washed up is probably jumping the gun I think. He's beaten Mezger, Hendo, Saku 3 times, Page twice, Arona, Fujita, and a whole parade of Pride hometown guys (Matsui, Oyama, Otsuka, Tamura, Yoshida, Minowa, Kondo, Nakamura :smile: ). He has 10 KO and 10 TKO wins, his 2 KO losses were late '06 and early '07, and his 2 TKO losses were back in '97 and '98. Having lost his last 3, we will either see the best or worst of Wand. Jardine's 2 big wins are over Forrest and Chuck, both decisive. Obviously his leg kicks are his biggest weapon, and since he's 3" taller I predict he'll dish out some punishment to the midsection. He was KO'd back in '02 and sent into orbit by Houston last year, other than that his chin has held up.
Prediction - Wand by KO.

3. Tito Ortiz vs Lyoto Machida
I am not a Tito fan (Jacob is his real name BTW), but I cannot deny that his A-level wrestling and GNP has served him well. He's beaten Mezger, Wand, Kondo, Tanner (perfect slam), Cote, Matyushenko, Vitor, Forrest (gift decision), and K. Shamrock 3 times. He only has 1 KO and 1 TKO loss, both to Chuck. Lyoto, while not having an amazing resume, is undefeated and has won versus Bonnar, Franklin, B.J., and Soko. Actually, he dominated Soko and was Franklin's only loss until Anderson came to town. He's never KO'd anyone but does has 3 TKO wins. His style has been accused of being overly cautious/boring, but his record speaks for itself. I think we'll see a see-saw battle, with both men leaving it all in the cage. Tito knows a win over Lyoto will strengthen his negotiating power as he shops other orgs, and Machida knows he will finally have his recognition if his hand is raised.
Prediction - Machida by decision.

4. Wilson Gouveia vs Goran Reljic (Gouveia)
5. Thiago Silva vs Antonio Mendes (Silva)
6. Ivan Salaverry vs Rousimar Palhares (Ivan for sure)
7. Rameau Sokoudjou vs Kazuhiro Nakamura (Soko)
8. Rich Clementi vs Terry Etim (Clementi definitely)
9. John Koppenhaver vs Yoshiyuki Yoshida (whatever)
10. Jason Tan vs Dong Hyun Kim (whatever)
11. Christian Wellisch vs Shane Carwin (whatever)

I'm looking forward to it. Here's my two cents.

Penn over Sherk

Wanderlei over Jardine

Lyoto over Tito

Wow, guess all the MMA fans are gone from Prime...

Great event, Wand came through, BJ dominated, Lyoto did his thing, all my predictions were correct except for Gouviea...man he got blasted.
I'll go ahead and say it now...Wand vs the winner of Forrest vs Page.

Great event, Wand came through, BJ dominated, Lyoto did his thing, all my predictions were correct except for Gouviea...man he got blasted.

Was good spirited fight:biggrin:

You ever watch on youtube street fights, old school brawls some are so funny.

I never expected the Penn fight to turn into a boxing match. You almost never see fighters throw jabs. But man did BJ pick off Sherk.

Wanderlei, man what can I say. I think Jardine may have underestimatd him, and for that, probably got a couple brain cels knocked loose.

Ortiz, ooof! That knee he took from Lyoto looked damn painful. Like him or hate him, (I was never a fan of the guy) but you have to give him respect for 13 years in the UFC. Best of luck to where ever he ends up.

I disagree about the next matchup...what about Thiago Silva? He's still undefeated and would probably get a shot 1st.

I disagree about the next matchup...what about Thiago Silva? He's still undefeated and would probably get a shot 1st.

Would be a good one for sure, but Thiago still has not faced an A-level opponent and is still somewhat unproven IMO. Wand viciously stopped Rampage twice in Pride, so assuming Page beats Forrest as he should...Rampage vs Wand III would be the money match, no Gman?
Just so glad the Axe Murderer is back, that was a straight up rape choke and KO he laid on Jardine.

How about BJ Penn wanting to move up to Welterweight to fight GSP?

How about BJ Penn wanting to move up to Welterweight to fight GSP?

BJ is talented but he's not the best all around. I think GSP would completely destroy and dominate BJ. As far as the best all-around MMA fighter, Anderson "The Spider" Silva!

That was a good fight night. I had all the predictions correct and was glad to see the outcome except for the title fight, I could care less about BJ or Sherk. The one I most cared about was the debut of 0my fellow Croat Goran Reljic. I was glad he had a good fight and beat that loudmouth cocky Brazilian who said he was gonna "beat him up and send him back to Croatia". Haha loser! Reljic was pretty good but he's got some work to do. He threw great leg kicks but needs to put more power behind them to get the KO's.

Love UFC....

BJ is talented but he's not the best all around. I think GSP would completely destroy and dominate BJ. As far as the best all-around MMA fighter, Anderson "The Spider" Silva!

That was a good fight night. I had all the predictions correct and was glad to see the outcome except for the title fight, I could care less about BJ or Sherk. The one I most cared about was the debut of 0my fellow Croat Goran Reljic. I was glad he had a good fight and beat that loudmouth cocky Brazilian who said he was gonna "beat him up and send him back to Croatia". Haha loser! Reljic was pretty good but he's got some work to do. He threw great leg kicks but needs to put more power behind them to get the KO's.

Love UFC....

IMO B.J. won the 1st fight w/ GSP, but I can see it argued either way. Regardless, as B.J. put it...after the fight he went to the bar, while Georges went to the hospital. It's clear now that Penn's conditioning is no longer a weakness, I think he would win against GSP. He has heavier hands, better Jiu Jitsu, and a better chin. They both have unreal takedown defense so it would probably be a kickboxing war until Georges went to plan B and found a way to take it down. By then he would possibly be a bit stunned from punches/knees and might fall victim to a sub. That's how I see it going.
Reljic did look nice, I like Gouveia and he removed him from his conciousness. He apparently trains w/ Cro Cop? I think the best all-around MMA fighters are (in no order) Fedor, Nogueira, Anderson, BJ, GSP, Mach Sakurai, Wand, Nick Diaz (most underrated).

I never expected the Penn fight to turn into a boxing match. You almost never see fighters throw jabs. But man did BJ pick off Sherk..

Yup that is how to tear apart a wrestler or ground fighter ohhh no I said it ground fighter:eek:

Land the blows, follow up with harder ones keep him on defense game over :biggrin:

Back