• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unable to resolve TCS Code 5-1 and would greatly appreciate any help or ideas.

First let me assure you that I have searched extensively and have not found any TCS 5-1 threads that have led me to a resolution. Also most have slightly different symptoms which is why I'm starting a new thread.

The car is a 1994 with manual transmission stock wheels and tires. This was a non-running car when I purchased it and I have basically done a comprehensive refurb so the number of variable is infinite.

Symptoms:
As soon as the car is started the yellow TCS warning light goes on solid and never goes out.
The green TCS indicator light on the on/off switch never illuminates.
In the rain the TCS seems to actually be working, as the car loses power and it feels like it's due to the throttle actuator. With the TCS unit unplugged there is no such issue in the rain.

The service manual indicates Code 5-1. is Abnormal fail-safe-relay, throttle actuator or throttle body

Steps Taken:
1. First tried to reset the TCS code using Fuse 23 also by disconnecting the batter.
2. Went through the troubleshooting portion of the SM for code 5-1. Everything checked out with no issues. The troubleshooting steps basically had me check continuity of the wires in the harness, look for power at the relay and on the TCS unit, as well as do a resistance check on the throttle actuator. All of these things check out normal.

3. Bothered Mitch (Thank you again Mitch!). We tried my TCS unit and ECU in his car and they work perfectly.
4. I have replaced the battery, main relay, and ignition switch, as part of my refurb. Additionally, I swapped a known good fail-safe relay and TCS switch.
5. I took note on Mitch's car that if I unplugged the throttle actuator it took 20 seconds or more for the Yellow TCS light to come on. On my car this happens immediately regardless of what I unplug.
6. I have also ohm'd out all of the wheel sensors and they are all identical to that of my 1998. Additionally, if they are unplugged I get the same yellow TCS light immediately.
7. I removed the throttle actuator and verified that the motor turns properly and there is no glaring indication that it is the issue.

When I purchased the car it had a big bore throttle body that was in the box and never installed and the previous owner never had the TCS issue. The only other thing I can dream up to try is swap a different throttle body, as it seems like the only thing I haven't been able to verify.

Does anyone have any advice that they might be able to pass along? I've been working on this on and off for a few weeks and I'm just not making any progress.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice,
Chris

Chris,

Obviously you have the car back together. That's good news.
The not so good news is I don't know anything about the throttle by wire, (TBW) system other than get hold of Larry B or go to NSXCB and find KAZ.
The best way to get hold of him is definitely use his e-mail. You can find it through one of his refresh blogs there.

Cheers
nigel

Chris,

Obviously you have the car back together. That's good news.
The not so good news is I don't know anything about the throttle by wire, (TBW) system other than get hold of Larry B or go to NSXCB and find KAZ.
The best way to get hold of him is definitely use his e-mail. You can find it through one of his refresh blogs there.

Cheers
nigel

Thanks Nigel. This is a 94 and not TBW. I'll try the new throttle body before I go pestering anyone.

Any chance it could be the throttle position sensor, (TPS)?
I don't have my manuals to look at the schematics but seems there is nothing related to the "throttle body" other than the TPS that could produce your code?

Cheers
nigel

HUGE THANKS to BTL3.0! Thanks for letting me borrow your throttle body. There is no way I would have found the issue without having a known good in the equation.

I resolved this issue by adjusting the throttle valve opening sensor on my throttle body. It must have be adjusted incorrectly by whomever did the big bore throttle body service.

WOOT!

Back