• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Updates on 2021 builds

I understand that Acura has 15 years of part availability. At some point all cars of limited volume will have some difficulties. That is why the sooner you get one the longer you have to enjoy.

I thought that the 2022 MY changes were (at the very least) to enable the NSX to be sold in Japan - the latest safety systems, and an upgrade to the infotainment system. Also, hasn't the further development of the NSX been moved to Japan, which hints at R/S models, maybe?

I thought that the 2022 MY changes were (at the very least) to enable the NSX to be sold in Japan - the latest safety systems, and an upgrade to the infotainment system. Also, hasn't the further development of the NSX been moved to Japan, which hints at R/S models, maybe?

Not sure but I believe as of late last year they stopped selling the NSX in Japan due to super low sales volumes (see article below).

https://jalopnik.com/after-dismal-sales-honda-finally-stops-selling-the-202-1846514420

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still don't understand how that article is the least bit newsworthy. What car company continues to sell previous model-year cars after the new model year comes out?

it'll be concerning about parts and services down the road if they stop the production so soon. There is probably very limited certified mechanics in US as it is.

There's a 35 year retention policy for NC1 parts - supposedly. With less than 3000 samples, the current certified mechanics are not getting much practice.

Image 4-28-21 at 12.04 PM.jpeg

@powdbyrice you probably have more insight into this than I do. My confirmation was existence of some MY22 model, unconfirmed if it’s carryover or refresh.

Last year I recall some of the orders for Oct build were transitioned from MY20 to MY21 so definitely likely some late spring/early summer orders could carry into a MY22.

Sadly I do not. We find out at the same time as the rest of the world. Usually I end up reading about it on autoblog before I go in to work. LOL.

Last edited:

My understanding is yes. But, they didn't move it to develop a S or R, they moved it because of corporate disappointment in how the US-based team has managed the program. I think Honda is still debating budget at very high levels, which will determine the final scope of changes for 2022 and also for beyond. Given that they just announced a 2040 cutoff for ICE in all models, it's possible the NSX will either fade away or re-emerge as a full electric or fuel cell Gen 3. The NSX is still very active (and successful) in GT racing, so there is hope for the marque, but I suspect that the 2022 refresh will be the only one for this platform. That said, I think we'll see a Type-S before it goes away.

Not sure but I believe as of late last year they stopped selling the NSX in Japan due to super low sales volumes (see article below).

https://jalopnik.com/after-dismal-sales-honda-finally-stops-selling-the-202-1846514420

Two reasons that there is no 2021 NC1 in Japan:
  • Japanese motor law changed to require lane sensing and crash avoidance on all new cars sold after 2021- no exceptions.
  • The as-yet unspecified 2022 model refresh

Honda needs to re-tool the car to include the mandatory safety features. This was originally planned for the 2021 model, but the COVID financial pause kicked it out another year. So now the 2022 gets it. Given the low volume, I'm sure Honda didn't lose much sleep over skipping a year for the JDM version.

PURPLE!!!!

I'm leaning towards a refresh in 2022.

I am finding myself in a dilemma - keep my 2021 build for July build or just wait a few months for 2022 with a refresh (maybe). Sux that I won't know if the rumors are true until this summer. Obviously, incentives probably won't be available until early next year if at all. Not quite sure if the safety enhancements will be worth losing $20K incentive and the long dreaded wait...argh

I am finding myself in a dilemma - keep my 2021 build for July build or just wait a few months for 2022 with a refresh (maybe). Sux that I won't know if the rumors are true until this summer. Obviously, incentives probably won't be available until early next year if at all. Not quite sure if the safety enhancements will be worth losing $20K incentive and the long dreaded wait...argh

That’s a tough one! You’ve already been waiting a while. How do you feel about waiting until Q1 22 at the earliest?

Also you’d be toying with the $20k incentive (which is typically announced in March. A refresh could mean you end up paying full price.

I belive Audid R8s doesn't have driving safety features such as auto braking and blind spot monitoring similar to NSX, does that mean Audi won't be able to sell R8 in Japan starting next year? I don't believe Audi is adding these features at least not in US.

Two reasons that there is no 2021 NC1 in Japan:
  • Japanese motor law changed to require lane sensing and crash avoidance on all new cars sold after 2021- no exceptions.
  • The as-yet unspecified 2022 model refresh

Honda needs to re-tool the car to include the mandatory safety features. This was originally planned for the 2021 model, but the COVID financial pause kicked it out another year. So now the 2022 gets it. Given the low volume, I'm sure Honda didn't lose much sleep over skipping a year for the JDM version.

CP, yep I agree. More than likely I will just go ahead with 2021 (before my wife changes her mind about letting me get a fun car) :)

I guess I have another month or so before I have to lock in production so we shall see.

That’s a tough one! You’ve already been waiting a while. How do you feel about waiting until Q1 22 at the earliest?

Also you’d be toying with the $20k incentive (which is typically announced in March. A refresh could mean you end up paying full price.

CP, yep I agree. More than likely I will just go ahead with 2021 (before my wife changes her mind about letting me get a fun car) :)

I guess I have another month or so before I have to lock in production so we shall see.

Hahaha true, can’t ignore the real decision makers in all this.

I had something similar. I got to buy myself the fun car as long as my fiancé gets her dream big Indian wedding, paid for by yours truly. The funny part is I’m the one who’s of Indian roots not her lol.

Last edited:
I belive Audid R8s doesn't have driving safety features such as auto braking and blind spot monitoring similar to NSX, does that mean Audi won't be able to sell R8 in Japan starting next year? I don't believe Audi is adding these features at least not in US.

It looks like for JDM new cars it is 2021 and for imported cars it is 2024, so the R8 is ok until then. Interestingly, starting in 2025, all existing Japan-made cars must have the automatic braking system "retrofitted"! What does that mean for the NA1/NA2 NSX???

https://www.nippon.com/en/news/yjj2019121700530/automatic-brakes-on-new-cars-mandatory-from-nov-2021.html

It looks like for JDM new cars it is 2021 and for imported cars it is 2024, so the R8 is ok until then. Interestingly, starting in 2025, all existing Japan-made cars must have the automatic braking system "retrofitted"! What does that mean for the NA1/NA2 NSX???

https://www.nippon.com/en/news/yjj2...akes-on-new-cars-mandatory-from-nov-2021.html

Wait... so the NSX is considered a JDM vehicle? Despite being designed, engineered, built, and assembled in the USA?

Getting back to [MENTION=37431]sbkim[/MENTION] 's dilemma, for what it's worth I suggest you stick with your 2021 build. There's just too much uncertainty with the 2022s. On one extreme, 2021 could be the final model year of the NSX and they won't even build a 2022, meaning you'd be losing your chance to order one at all. Or it could be the exact same car, again, maybe just with another exterior color choice. Or it could be slightly "refreshed" but with a higher sticker price and no $20k incentive. Or it could be more intensely refreshed, but the changes aren't things you actually like or want. Finally (and I know this is what's leading to the dilemma) it could be a notably and significantly improved model that makes you wish you had held out for it. Worst case, if the 2022 is simply amazing and irresistible, do you think that the boss of the house would let you take a loss by trading in your 2021?

(speaking as a car guy, not a salesman)

Knowing how Honda works, do you believe for the refresh they would:
1) bump the HP to 650+
2) completely revamp the interior
3) dramatically change the front/rear facias

in my opinion
1) maybe a hair over 600hp? its not like the NSX is slow, but it does get left behind at higher speeds
2) i think they'll retain the overall look. Probably change the touchscreen to a capacitive unit and update the UI to the current Honda UI. They can't add the touchpad like the rest of the lineup. Theres no room and its a Honda in the rest of the world, so it has to look like one.
3) heres where it gets interesting. do they introduce the pentagon grille?
4) add to the factory installed features. what exactly? i dont know.

Thanks for the helpful thoughts everyone! I am a little perturbed that I wasn't able to order earlier and have taken delivery by now. Given the delays (partially driven by that darn AFS incentive not opening up until March), I am finding myself to be one of the last recipients of 2021 MY production, which by the way may not be the worst thing given uncertainties with 2022 MY.

Another way to look at it is that you managed not to die during the Covid-19 Pandemic (not necessarily over) which took over 570,000 US lives. You are getting a supercar which means you are like in the top echelon of car buyers. You will have a car that is like crazy ass fast, limited number (less than 2500 in the Whole World), Head turning good looks. I would say you are a winner.

Wait... so the NSX is considered a JDM vehicle? Despite being designed, engineered, built, and assembled in the USA?

Getting back to [MENTION=37431]sbkim[/MENTION] 's dilemma, for what it's worth I suggest you stick with your 2021 build. There's just too much uncertainty with the 2022s. On one extreme, 2021 could be the final model year of the NSX and they won't even build a 2022, meaning you'd be losing your chance to order one at all. Or it could be the exact same car, again, maybe just with another exterior color choice. Or it could be slightly "refreshed" but with a higher sticker price and no $20k incentive. Or it could be more intensely refreshed, but the changes aren't things you actually like or want. Finally (and I know this is what's leading to the dilemma) it could be a notably and significantly improved model that makes you wish you had held out for it. Worst case, if the 2022 is simply amazing and irresistible, do you think that the boss of the house would let you take a loss by trading in your 2021?

Good advice here. I'm not a Japanese lawyer, but I think they mean if it is a Japan-based company (i.e., Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, etc.) and it is a car model that they sell in Japan, it must have the system as of Nov 2021.

(speaking as a car guy, not a salesman)

Knowing how Honda works, do you believe for the refresh they would:
1) bump the HP to 650+
2) completely revamp the interior
3) dramatically change the front/rear facias

in my opinion
1) maybe a hair over 600hp? its not like the NSX is slow, but it does get left behind at higher speeds
2) i think they'll retain the overall look. Probably change the touchscreen to a capacitive unit and update the UI to the current Honda UI. They can't add the touchpad like the rest of the lineup. Theres no room and its a Honda in the rest of the world, so it has to look like one.
3) heres where it gets interesting. do they introduce the pentagon grille?
4) add to the factory installed features. what exactly? i dont know.

I think you're right on 1- maybe a little tweak to the map and boost levels, kind of like what Nissan has done for the GT-R over the years. Also 2- I think you're exactly right on the interior. The overall exterior look will stay the same, but just refreshed to reflect the current design language. Maybe different headlight shape and nose? I do think they will try to work the pentagon grill shape into the nose. I wish they would elongate the tail, but that's a major change. I think you might get sport seats, more wheel options and a more robust CF package (more weight saving and less cosmetic). Those same options might get packaged into a Type-S trim.

The biggest change I think will be inside the powertrain- rumors are that Honda Japan has been working on a Gen2 version of the front E-motors that are lighter, shed heat better and continue to add power above 120 mph.

Thanks for the helpful thoughts everyone! I am a little perturbed that I wasn't able to order earlier and have taken delivery by now. Given the delays (partially driven by that darn AFS incentive not opening up until March), I am finding myself to be one of the last recipients of 2021 MY production, which by the way may not be the worst thing given uncertainties with 2022 MY.

I think you're smart to have grabbed a build slot. We still have no idea what Honda will really do- and I don't think they do either.

Another way to look at it is that you managed not to die during the Covid-19 Pandemic (not necessarily over) which took over 570,000 US lives. You are getting a supercar which means you are like in the top echelon of car buyers. You will have a car that is like crazy ass fast, limited number (less than 2500 in the Whole World), Head turning good looks. I would say you are a winner.

Amen!

The whole point of this NSX is that it is built to order - you place your order, they will build it! (as long as the order books are open in your country)

Looking to put in a order this week-was told 90 day build time do you guys think that time line is correct? Also with the build this close to the 22 model year if i order now will I still get a 2021?

Thanks Mark

Back