• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

upgrade planning?

im getting the gofast bug. love the car stock, but would like it a little quicker.

i need to do mods in slow steps, so im interested in not buying something now that wont work with something later

what is the first thing you would do for an immediate gain?

are the headers/exhaust systems providing noticeable performance improvements?

turbo or boost? which system is best?

i know this has been discussed before, but things change and id appreciate recent opinions

thanks in advance for your advice. this forum is part of the reason i bought the nsx....

BaschBoost supercharger. Best bang for the buck in NSX mods for full-time operation.

Second best is BaschBoost supercharger plus exhaust and headers.

Nitrous is best bang for the buck but only when you're on the spray.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
BaschBoost supercharger. Best bang for the buck in NSX mods for full-time operation.

Second best is BaschBoost supercharger plus exhaust and headers.

Nitrous is best bang for the buck but only when you're on the spray.

Whoa now, who is posting for Ken?
smile.gif
He could not be the one who wrote about changing this beloved car with a SuperCharger, even if it does come from Mark. What is the matter Ken, finally thinking about making some changes after 11 years!!!

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

It probably depends on the year of your car.

If it is a pre-97, then your best bet is to get some "headers" for your car, and then an exhaust system.

I think that the following is an old dyno run on George's setup, he was running a 3.0 liter
with Cat bypass + Comptech Exhaust at that time. (Don't remember if he had aftermarket
headers)
http://www.dynospotracing.com/modnsx3.htm

That is pretty good, using the common 15%
drivetrain loss George's car was making about
306 hp at the flywheel. 36hp more than stock.

Post 97 are trickier, I've been tinkering on mine for a while, not wanting to go the supercharger way.

The previous owner of my car had a RM Racing Exhaust and a RM Racing Intake, with that setup the car only made about 269.7 at the wheels.

Check out:
http://www.dynospotracing.com/32nsx.htm

Then I proceeded to get some Comptech Headers
installed on it, the car's top HP number went up slightly to 273 at the wheels, but the car lost some torque at the low end.

Finally I had to replace the RM Exhaust because it started resonating, replaced it
with a Comptech Exhaust, the top HP numbers
remained about the same as the previous numbers, but low end torque improved a bit.

So to make a long story short, with the Comptech Headers/Exhaust + RM Racing intake
my car is making about 314hp at the flywheel
only about 24 more hp than the claimed stock.

I've driven a Competch supercharged NSX and
would not really consider getting one at this
point in time given that it completely changes the nature of the NSX engine and given the price.

I'll be checking out the BBSC over this weekend with the folks here in the Bay Area.

Perhaps that might be the next viable upgrade
for everyone. The cost seems to be reasonable and it seems to give the best bang for the buck.

My only concern is the serviceability of the engine, given that the driveshaft for the
supercharger goes across the engine and the new coolant tank seem to block access.

Hopefuly Mark Basch has some tricks up his sleeve to make all of these non-issues
smile.gif

Good Luck in your upgrades.

Originally posted by ncdogdoc:
Whoa now, who is posting for Ken?
smile.gif
He could not be the one who wrote about changing this beloved car with a SuperCharger, even if it does come from Mark. What is the matter Ken, finally thinking about making some changes after 11 years!!!

No, just helping to answer Huckster's question. He's been living with his car for a little while and decided that this is an area he'd like to improve. I'll keep my drivetrain stock. For now, anyway...
wink.gif

BaschBoost Supercharger
Added hp: 100 (est)
Cost (P&L): $5-6K (est)
Reduction in 1/4 mile time: 2+ sec (est)

Headers and Exhaust
Added hp: 20
Cost (P&L): $3-4K
Reduction in 1/4 mile time: 0.4 sec

Short gears and 4.23 R&P
Added hp: n/a
Cost (P&L): $2.5-3K
Reduction in 1/4 mile time: 0.19 sec

George was running the TAITEC JGTC Center-Exit, Fujitsubo Headers, and GruppeM special air cleaner intake which I believe is the best setup for achieving maximum horsepower with I/E/H.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Originally posted by 2slow2speed:
It probably depends on the year of your car.

If it is a pre-97, then your best bet is to get some "headers" for your car, and then an exhaust system.

I think that the following is an old dyno run on George's setup, he was running a 3.0 liter
with Cat bypass + Comptech Exhaust at that time. (Don't remember if he had aftermarket
headers)
http://www.dynospotracing.com/modnsx3.htm

That is pretty good, using the common 15%
drivetrain loss George's car was making about
306 hp at the flywheel. 36hp more than stock.

Post 97 are trickier, I've been tinkering on mine for a while, not wanting to go the supercharger way.

The previous owner of my car had a RM Racing Exhaust and a RM Racing Intake, with that setup the car only made about 269.7 at the wheels.

Check out:
http://www.dynospotracing.com/32nsx.htm

Then I proceeded to get some Comptech Headers
installed on it, the car's top HP number went up slightly to 273 at the wheels, but the car lost some torque at the low end.

Finally I had to replace the RM Exhaust because it started resonating, replaced it
with a Comptech Exhaust, the top HP numbers
remained about the same as the previous numbers, but low end torque improved a bit.

So to make a long story short, with the Comptech Headers/Exhaust + RM Racing intake
my car is making about 314hp at the flywheel
only about 24 more hp than the claimed stock.

I've driven a Competch supercharged NSX and
would not really consider getting one at this
point in time given that it completely changes the nature of the NSX engine and given the price.

I'll be checking out the BBSC over this weekend with the folks here in the Bay Area.

Perhaps that might be the next viable upgrade
for everyone. The cost seems to be reasonable and it seems to give the best bang for the buck.

My only concern is the serviceability of the engine, given that the driveshaft for the
supercharger goes across the engine and the new coolant tank seem to block access.

Hopefuly Mark Basch has some tricks up his sleeve to make all of these non-issues
smile.gif

Good Luck in your upgrades.

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

huckster,
i'd go for the baschboost,only problem is there is nobody i'd trust here in kc to install it.if you can get mark basch to come to kc,maybe i'd get one!
smile.gif

Mark has been willing to travel when several buyers in an out-of-town location decide to do a group buy. Perhaps the two of you, plus Ron at Superior, might be interested in doing a threesome...

Perhaps the two of you, plus Ron at Superior, might be interested in doing a threesome...

....Only if you take pictures!!!
tongue.gif

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

ok,ive met ron, and no offense buddy, but a THREESOME is out of the question. now if our sexy nsx ladies all want to get together, THAT is a totally different story.

im still about three months away from pulling the trigger(tax time has been a huge disapointment). but email me randall and we'll strategize.

thanks everybody for their input. those who havent posted id like to hear more....

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
George was running the TAITEC JGTC Center-Exit, Fujitsubo Headers, and GruppeM special air cleaner intake which I believe is the best setup for achieving maximum horsepower with I/E/H.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Chris,

You are right, how could I have forgotten about that center exhaust, even to this
day I have not heard a louder NSX
smile.gif

I have just taken a light year jump into the present - I have my first computer, first internet access, and first car to obsess over. I have also discovered this site, and have foregone dinner to spend the last four hours perusing the community's discussions. Needless to say, I am impressed and excited to become a part of it all.

...and would like to quote an axiom: "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." Already with an eye to improve on perfection, I have considered headers, exhaust, cold air intake and (dare I say it) a supercharger. For the price, the only SC I have considered is the BBSC. However, the product seems to be a new one, and I would like to hear any input from those who have had one installed. Not to be negative, but careful - the NSX is proof that something can be done right the first time, if engineered well!

I also would like to to have feedback on all the postings I have reviewed quoting difficulties with receiving product or correspondence with Dali racing.

As for group orders/requests for Mark Basch to perform a house call, any Texans interested in the BBSC, please email me privately on the subject, as to not clutter this forum.

Thank you,

R Boss

------------------
I've spent too much time planning to do things...

Hi R Boss,

Originally posted by NSXXCC:
I have just taken a light year jump into the present - I have my first computer, first internet access, and first car to obsess over. I have also discovered this site, and have foregone dinner to spend the last four hours perusing the community's discussions. Needless to say, I am impressed and excited to become a part of it all.

Congratulations! It's all very exciting. I'm sure all of us who own the NSX remember what a thrill it is when we first bought one. The internet is a big thrill too; I can assure you it was even more so after living with the car for years while rarely seeing another one or meeting another owner, to find a way to connect with our relatively few numbers.

You are also extremely fortunate to be living in Texas. Each year, the NSX Club of America holds its annual event in a different city. This year, NSXPO 2002 will take place in the DFW area, November 6-10. Hold the dates, and join the NSX Club now!

the only SC I have considered is the BBSC. However, the product seems to be a new one, and I would like to hear any input from those who have had one installed.

This is a new product and only a few folks have had them installed. Installed numbers will increase dramatically in the coming months as Mark Basch moves into full-fledged production mode.

Most of us have high hopes because we respect his knowledge and expertise. IMO he knows as much about the NSX as anyone in the United States who doesn't work at Acura HQ in Torrance.

I also would like to to have feedback on all the postings I have reviewed quoting difficulties with receiving product or correspondence with Dali racing.

Lud has asked that all vendor comments be posted only by the principals in any individual case.

Welcome to our community! I'm sure you'll find it meets with your highest expectations.

I noticed that SOS is hosting some test runs of the BBSC this coming week. Can't wait for the reviews! (hint, hint)
wink.gif

Back