• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Upgrading our NC1s

I agree with Bricks. Said another way, had Acura offered the Type S with no limit; I suspect that there would not have been the frenzy. Acura did not want to close out the car in such a manner. Better to go out with people wanting more then to have tried for every last sale. kind of like the Zanardi.

actually the zanardi was not a hot potato when originally offered..now look at them...

The original NC1 was designed as a tract monster with the ability to daily drive. The subsequent improvements have been focused on improving the track performance envelop. So for the most part, the major changes with the Type S vs the 2017 NC1 will not be realized on the street. I find it hard to imagine the car driven on the street behaving very differently Given how well it behaves now. There is some antidotal data supporting this observation. Yet I find myself wanting to have all the improvements.

That's interesting. I have not driven the Type S, so I cannot comment on it. But... When I was shopping for an NC1, I test-drove both '17-'18 and '19+ models, and you are right. I couldn't really tell any noticeable difference on the street. Perhaps, I need to drive them back to back for a longer period of time to notice them... but what I am saying is that, improvements are likely subtle for non-professional drivers like me...

Well think about it, the zanardi offered a weight savings and some different components with a 50 build unit limit. Had they killed the car following the Zanardi things would have changed significantly. That was 1999. The car continued to sell in small numbers. My 2001 was one of less than 300 sold. The 2002 was a big change externally but not much happened internally. The 2002 increased in numbers but never really sold. The cars were not faster as I understood. The 2005 just kind of died off

I've been in zanardis and NA2 coupes/not zanardi and the subtle difference is in the slightly stiffer springs/dampers....

Apology if I missed this thought above — the simple upgrade for all GEN 2 is battery and timing/degree of engagement. So ECU and one piece of hardware. At near equal weight, what can a battery of today do versus one from 8-10 years ago?
And wouldn’t Honda like the foreshadow their third generation EV NSX by throwing down some torque inducing electrons now?

Are you asking that Honda offer a battery plus ECU upgrade?
Some of the boutique manufacturers do that
If Honda were to do it, there would be an ugly price tag, so I don't expect to see it offered
To me, Honda is way way way behind on eCars
They have to focus on that

Last edited:
the battery packs are behind the seats and not much room...

I feel the best and easiest upgrade is to add lightness. The car is nearly 3900lbs. Dropping weight will benefit every aspect from suspension, acceleration, and braking with perhaps a wash or a slight detriment to comfort?

I was able to drop 400lbs on my NA1. That's 13% less weight. 13% less weight on the NC1 is 500lbs. Certainly half of that seems doable without too much effort. Heck... how heavy is that hood? Swapping those seats for a nice carbon buckets will likely get us halfway there. Titanium exhaust is another low hanging fruit.

Keep in mind a GT3 is nearly 700lbs lighter than an NC1.

I agree about the weight but having driven mine a little the suspension tuning in sport + is very compliant and having such a stiff chassis helps the car feel lighter than it is...but the steering feels a little numb/overboosted..The thing with the type S is I don't want to mess with it...;)

I feel the best and easiest upgrade is to add lightness. The car is nearly 3900lbs. Dropping weight will benefit every aspect from suspension, acceleration, and braking with perhaps a wash or a slight detriment to comfort?
No, not even close.

I did a lot of weight loss with my NA2, and it was a mistake.

Losing significant weight on the NC1 is a fool's errand. This is a street car, not a track-focused car. If you want a track car, buy something else.

No, not even close.

Losing significant weight on the NC1 is a fool's errand. This is a street car, not a track-focused car. If you want a track car, buy something else.
If you're referring to weight loss at the expense of comfort, i'm personally against that. My weight loss program was not cheap but it was effective at zero expense to comfort and still preserving a full interior. Granted, I personally prefer comfortable bucket seats vs. the cushy OEM seats, but you might be the kind of guy that gets the Porsche Touring seats vs. the Carbon bucket options which is what I would choose. There's no such option for the NC1. Those NC1 seats must weight a ton.

Weight loss in the NC1 is possible but it won't be cheap. If you want the cheap weight loss route, then sure.... strip it of everything. I'm against that if that's what you're referring to.

No, not even close.

Hmm everyone I spoke to at pmc feels that the S is more track focused...I'll let you know next year..

Hmm everyone I spoke to at pmc feels that the S is more track focused...I'll let you know next year..
It may be "more" track focused, but it is still a street car. It has a full interior, power seats, and a multi-speaker sound system.

I would say its a very track capable street car...:cool:

No, not even close.

I've been on track with stock NC1 and they are pretty quick based on times they are track focused in the right hands...

I wish they had carbon fiber wheel and bucket seat factory options for NC1.

The C8 Z06 carbon wheels shaved 40lbs of rotating mass. Improvement with that alone shaved 1.5 sec off 2 mile track on Z06 vs standard wheels.

These are made by Carbon Revolution which is also OEM manufacture for Ferrari (Pista, F8, SF90), and Ford (Ford GT, GT350/500). On Ferrari the weight saving is 48lbs or 50lbs with titanium wheel bolts over standard. Having driven both standard wheels vs carbon wheels. They make noticeable difference. Even steering feels better, car overall feels much more responsive.

There are some really comfortable carbon bucket seats out there with zero compromise to comfort (Mclaren/Ferrari), on par or better than NA2 NSX-R seats. The seats not only shaved a lot of weight without electronic adjustments, but it gives the car much more emotional feel. Not all bucket seats are super narrow and hard to get in and out. The NC1 and Type S seats are comfy, but too cushy and sits too high for my taste, makes the car feels too grand tourer imo. I much rather have manual sliding comfortable sport seats.

Just this weekend I sat in a 991 GT3RS. Those Porsche carbon buckets are sublime. So comfortable and so subtle (as far as buckets though) but loads of support laterally. Maybe my only one complaint is to recline the seat another degree or 3. I'm tempted to start considering an early NC1 just to see what exactly can be shaved weightwise.

Another area of potential weight savings is the sound system. Again, this is a no-compromise-to-sound-quality solution i'm proposing. For example, I recently completed a sound system in my current NA1 that saved ~8lbs net net and it sounds incredible. Compared to the stock system is not even on the same planet. I'd be curious to see how heavy that NC1 sound system is in total.

Weight saving is not easy. It's also often not cheap. I hope no one confuses weight savings with stripping the car for track use. That's an entirely other thread.

A relatively easy weight loss program would be to replace the glass mat lead acid battery at around 38 to 40 with a Lithium battery 24 amp hour on a trickle charger for a 30 pound savings. Then remove the muffler and replace with a straight through Titanium exhaust at a savings of 30 pounds. The resulting savings is balanced. You could then explore changing out the seats, realizing that a significant savings will result in less adjustability and comfort. if Wheels could be changed out to carbon fiber you could pick up some benefits both in reduced weight and better dynamics. So perhaps another 100 pounds could be shaved. Then you could modify the engine with JB4, and Meth injection. The results would be a really fast car. Or you can just enjoy what you have.

Unfortunately, There will always be faster cars.

Back