• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Urgent help needed on tie rod ends!

I was changing the outer tie rod ends last night and I totally forgot to count how many times I turned the tie rod end to unscrew it on the Drivers side. Anybody that knows how many turns there are on the drivers side?? Thanks!!

Sorry, but it does not work that way;). Time for an alignment.

Regards,
LarryB

I agree you can eye-ball it to drive it to get aligned.

now if you only took one side off then you can eye ball it pretty close.

to eye ball it you need to make sure the front of the car is up on jacks both sides

turn the steering wheel to straight and with the wheel off turn the knuckle
intill it looks like its straight with the frame of the car.

then turn the locking nut all the way out and away.

then turn the knuckle till its looks straight then hold the tie rod under the hole and keep turning it till it lines up with the hole.
insert and put the top nut on. put wheel back on but you only need one lug stand back and check if it pretty close. if it is then put the rest of the lugs on and turn the locking nut back to lock, insert the cotter pin and drive to align shop.
if its not keep doing it till it looks good.

but you def need to get alignment.

and dont do it again LOL

Actually if you only took one side off you can easily just drive the car and tweak it till it drives with the steering wheel straight.

Actually if you only took one side off you can easily just drive the car and tweak it till it drives with the steering wheel straight.

well right after i posted this morning, i drove it to my work-got it on a lift and we did both at the same time while it was in the air. i drove it afterwards, steering wheel is straight...and car feels MUCH better. no more loose feeling in the wheel. still need an alignment probably, since i didnt get one yet after i did my suspension.

Back