• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Urgh... BAR team banned for two races

BAR team banned for two races

The BAR Formula 1 team has been banned for the next two races after they broke FIA regulations the FIA announced in a statement today, Thursday. The team will miss the Spanish Grand Prix this weekend and the Grand Prix of Monaco in two weeks time. The team also lost their points scored in the San Marino Grand Prix.

The third place of Jenson Button and fifth place of Takuma Sato will be lost from the San Marino Grand Prix because their BAR 007 cars were too light after weighing the cars by the Stewards of the Meeting after the race.

The team also received a six month suspended ban, with the suspension in place for twelve months. This means that should the BAR F1 team break a rule again within the period of one year the team will be banned from the F1 championship for six months.

I guess they are done fopr the season. What's the matter with BAR,they didn't have a scale to measure the cars?
Wonder what is going to happen to Button's contract? :mad: :mad:

BAR-Honda will appeal in civil court. The ruling is total BS in my opinion. Read the ruling here:

http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press_Releases/FIA_Sport/2005/May/050505-01.html

The FIA concedes that the rules are written vaguely, so whose fault is that? Certainly not BAR-Honda. They also admit that they could find no evidence that BAR-Honda deliberately cheated, but they're going to punish them anyway!?! Screw the FIA :mad:

What does the fuel pressurizer have to do with the weight?

I have read a couple of reports about this violation and still don't understand what the fuel tank pressurizer had to do with it. CAn anyone elaborate? Thanks.

Re: What does the fuel pressurizer have to do with the weight?

OLDE GUY said:
I have read a couple of reports about this violation and still don't understand what the fuel tank pressurizer had to do with it. CAn anyone elaborate? Thanks.

It really was a non issue. Without going into detail about the cheating allegations and how that supposed hidden or 2nd fuel tank was used to cheat, entire fuel delivery systemd used on the BAR007 was legal. Even the FIA representative at the appeals court hearing stated it was legal and there was no secret tank. The collector in this case only comes into play because of the fuel left within it when asked to drain the tanks of fuel. BAR claims that the fuel in the collector is need for proper opporation of the car and believed it counted as the cars weight. The FIA says BAR is wrong with that interpretation and fuel can't be used as ballast. In the end, the FIA appeals court concluded that there was no fraudulant attempt by BAR to cheat, but since the car weighed in at 594.6kg after all fuel (Including the fuel in the collector) was drained that the fuel had to be ballast to keep the car over the minimum weight. now, I am okay with that and BAR being DQed for that techical rules infraction, but the etra two race ban and 6 month suspended snetance is too much. FOr example, just last year BMW/Williams and Toyota were DQed from one race even because they were ruled to be using illegal brake ducts which is a technical rules infraction. Why give BAR the extra penalty? Many, incduing myself believe it is the FIA laying down the law and trying to show they are still in charge. BAR made a fool out of them with the engine rule loophole at the start of the season which the FIA said no team would do. Honda is also part of the group who wants to defect to the gpwc. Since the appeals court cleared BAR of any attempt to cheat and basically just nailed them on the weight issue, the extra suspension had a hidden meaning behind it. What that is is all speculation, but is inconsistent with previous punishments.

Oldeguy - Look Here

FIA: Drain the car of fuel so we can weigh it.

BAR: OK, all the fuel is out of the car.

FIA: Are you sure ALL the fuel has been removed?

BAR: (Direct quote here) "Yes, that's it."

FIA: Hmmm ... what is this tank here with 15 Kg of fuel in it?

BAR: Oh, did you say ALL the fuel?

FIA: See ya in court!

Re: Oldeguy - Look Here

ChrisK and Soichiro - Thanks for the explanation. I got it now. Bill

Back