• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

valentine 1

after having this nsx for a little over a week now i am finding myself wanting to speed like i was 16 again....but i would like to avoid the amount of tickets i received in my little 280zx....any thoughts or real world use on the valentine 1?...it seems to have the best reviews
thanks for everyones input on this site
jim
'92 black/black

There's a new comparison in the current (February 2002) Car and Driver, and the Valentine 1 is once again the winner. It's a great detector.

Just remember that no detector makes you immune from instant-on radar or laser. It provides warning in many circumstances but not all.

i've had my v1 since i bought my nsx ~2 yrs ago. not a chance i would even turn the car over without having it plugged in... i can't begin to count the number of times it's saved my bacon.
be well.
hal

I use the Valentine 1 and I find it far superior to any unit i have ever tried.Especially when a cop is gaining on you from behind and the signal keeps getting quicker and quicker(very nice).I also couple that w/ the Black Widow (front and rear) lazer and radar scrambler and anti-photo lazer plate cover.I know the my scrambler works my friend whos a cop tested it and it worked 3 time w/ his instant on unit and one time w/ the older type scrambler.Of course I was not speeding when we tested it.
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------

FYI- You can call them (valentine 1) and ask to get put on the list for a refurbished or returned unit (usually only takes a week or two). Still direct from V1, but for $349 instead of 399.

My experience: Soon after buying my V1 it broke (no alert even in front of an radar unit turned on). I sent it back for warranty repair and received it back within a couple of days! wow. Works great now. Great service, Great design. I've had just about every detector on the market and the V1 is by far the best. Guess you get what you pay for.

hg

The level of customer service from Valentine Research is the best I've found anywhere.

I once called them up to order replacement suction cups for mine. (At that time, you couldn't order them from their website, although now you can.) Answering the phone was Mike Valentine! I chatted with him, asked him whether he occasionally answers the order line to stay in touch with his customers and he confirmed that this was indeed the case. And then he took all the information for my $2 order.
biggrin.gif

GREAT company to deal with. Great products, too.

Following the Valentine1 thread, I have a question. I know that there are three modes, A, l and L. I understand that l "mutes" low strength X band and L ignores the low level X band all together, but my question is whether l or L affects K or Ka. Using it on the highway, I want as much K and Ka sensitivity as possible!

I then began to wonder if A was equivalent to "highway", l to "city" and L equivalent to a even more filered "city" mode.

Thansk for the help.

Kevin

In the latest issue of car and driver, with the GT40 on the cover(probably still available on newsstands), they do a test of the various radar detectors in both highway and city mode. it was RIDICULOUS how much more advanced warning you get for Ka and K band when you have the V1 on the most sensitive setting versus 'L' mode. I'm switching over on long trips...

I have been in NSX caravans where people had various radar detectors running and the V1s always gave far more warning than anything else.

Hey Guys,

I agree with this thread; the Valentine 1 is far and away the best, and I have tried many. I have been using one now for 5 years and am without a speeding ticket.

A few people were mentioning laser... A year ago, laser became a big threat in my area (Tucson AZ), so I began looking toward a jammer. After doing a lot of research, I chose the Blinder Laser Jammer.

However, like all "jamming" equipment, it seems to be more voodoo until you can see it work. I spoke to one of my friends with the Phoenix Police Department who was able to get a trained officer with a new laser gun for an impromptu test. I stood behind the gun as I watched the Blinder completely jam the laser gun from as far as the eye could see up to the gun. Phenominal. If you're looking for laser protection, I can personally recommend the Blinder.

If anyone is interested, I wrote a full review of the test. Just my .02
smile.gif

------------------
Dennis Walsh
WheelKinetics.com

[This message has been edited by Wheel Kinetics (edited 30 January 2002).]

I have to agree with all, the V1 is the best!

I would not buy a V1 from anyone used. You may get an older model without the latest updates, whether it's firmware or hardware. Valentine is always improving their system and you get their support when you buy new! Yes they sell them on Ebay, but you do not know if it is stolen or old etc... You can ask the seller for a serial number, and then check with V1 to see if in fact it is stolen unit or how old the model is. But for what they are selling them for used, you are much better off buying it for $399. This way you'll get a full warranty and most important factory support. For the extra fifty or a hundred dollars, you'll have peice of mind. Go with the V1 and buy from the factory, you can not go wrong!

Originally posted by byang:
In the latest issue of car and driver, with the GT40 on the cover(probably still available on newsstands), they do a test of the various radar detectors in both highway and city mode. it was RIDICULOUS how much more advanced warning you get for Ka and K band when you have the V1 on the most sensitive setting versus 'L' mode. I'm switching over on long trips...

Why don't you just set it to little L "l" mode? That's the setting I keep. This keeps it at it's most sensitive setting and beeps at the muted level, then beeps loud (about the time the big L mode would kick in).

I could be wrong...

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:

Why don't you just set it to little L "l" mode? That's the setting I keep. This keeps it at it's most sensitive setting and beeps at the muted level, then beeps loud (about the time the big L mode would kick in).

I could be wrong...

I keep my Valentine 1 in A ("all bogies") mode and manually defeat the x band in the settings. X band is 80% of your 'falses.'

------------------
Dennis Walsh
WheelKinetics.com

Originally posted by Wheel Kinetics:
I keep my Valentine 1 in A ("all bogies") mode and manually defeat the x band in the settings. X band is 80% of your 'falses.'

I second that recommendation. I too run my V1 in "A" mode with X-band disabled. With the exception of dense urban areas, I get typically get near zero false alarms. This change made my V1 100% more useful.

This of course assumes your local law enforcement doesn't appear to use X-band, which appers to be the case here. Almost every police and and state trooper I run accross is using K-band, with motorcycle cops using Ka-band.

Back