• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Very Slow Windows! But motor sounds ok...?

i recently bought a 97 NSX-T and realized that the windows are very slow. i've heard that this is a common problem for NSXs. i've also heard that sometimes re-greasing the insides might fix this problem. on few occassion, the window on my driver's side actually paused in the middle of raising it up and i had to pull it by hand to help it go up.

re-greasing the driver's side window will cost me $175 at the Acura dealer in Glendale, CA.

replacing the entire regulator will cost me around $1100.

from what i've explained, what do i need to do? replace or re-grease? what other signs should i look for in order to diagnose this problem?? thanks in advance!

Regreasing should resolve your problem. Had the same issue and now things are back to normal after liberal regreasing.

It is just as important to remove the existing grease first. The old grease dries up and hardens which causes friction on the tracks. I recently took my door apart and cleaned up all the tracks with wd-40. Windows work like a charm now.

thanks! i'm going to the dealer now to get an oil change and maybe a replacement battery as well. i'm going to get the regreasing done there since i have no tools in my apt to do so... =(

do a search on this. Often times, regreasing AND adjustments are necessary to make it smooth again. You can pick up the urea grease at the dealer and take it to a glass shop to have them clean it/adjust it. They have more experience w/ glass than the stealer does and it's less $$.

Jeff

When I use to be a tech at Honda back in the days. We would soak almost every car with "lithium grease" on both sides of the window jams. I mean, soak till it drips..lol:biggrin: works everytime.

do a search on this. Often times, regreasing AND adjustments are necessary to make it smooth again. You can pick up the urea grease at the dealer and take it to a glass shop to have them clean it/adjust it. They have more experience w/ glass than the stealer does and it's less $$.

Jeff
that's a great idea. i should just look for a place in LA that does glass well. know of any? also, anyone know any good trustworthy mechanic to go to in the Los Angeles area? for oil changes, etc...

Is this Steve? Sorry I missed your call... it was good meeting you the other day.... :) I would just go to autozone, buy a jack and some stands and a drip pan and do the oil changes yourself! hehe its tough to do though when you live in an apartment..

I need to have this done on mine as well... What kind of glass shops would you guys recommend?

Last edited:
Is this Steve? Sorry I missed your call... it was good meeting you the other day.... :) I would just go to autozone, buy a jack and some stands and a drip pan and do the oil changes yourself! hehe its tough to do though when you live in an apartment..

I need to have this done on mine as well... What kind of glass shops would you guys recommend?
wassup homie! good to meet u as well. i just got the oil change done and that light bulb replaced. free labor charge on the bulb, just part price. oil change was $75. they tried to make me replace the rear axle boot for $345 and i said im good.

yeah, where is a good mechanic for us to fix this damn window! oh, and let me know when ur gonna detail ur car. i wanna do it too!

So if I cleaned all the tracks and spray WD-40 that would be enough lube to get it working again? Or should I use liquid wrench, PB Blaster.

I've tried once to get that door panel off. It was a pain and I was afraid to break it, so I put it back on. I followed the manual. I must be doing something wrong. If it's anything like Honda's or Acura Legend, the clips slides right up.

wassup homie! good to meet u as well. i just got the oil change done and that light bulb replaced. free labor charge on the bulb, just part price. oil change was $75. they tried to make me replace the rear axle boot for $345 and i said im good.

yeah, where is a good mechanic for us to fix this damn window! oh, and let me know when ur gonna detail ur car. i wanna do it too!

I would take a look at your CV boots to make sure they are ok... its a common issue as the rubber dries out and needs to be replaced... $345 is reasonable for that job depending on which side its on. I'm guessing that is for the passenger side right? :)

I'm not sure of who can help us out on the window thing... :confused:

Soaking it with lithium grease or more Urea grease is only a temporary solution. It will last only for a handful of times for the NSX. This solution might be a better approach for late model cars, but some of our NSX are 17 yrs old.

You have to remove the old grease. It is really caked on there. You have to see it personally to see what I mean. Then you will understand why more grease, WD-40, PB Blaster, etc are only temporary solutions.

You have to remove the tracks from the car. It is not impossible to do yourself, but the door latch rod was very tricky for me. You need to remove this to take out the rear door sash. I'm sure a window guy has a tool or trick to do this.

I used almost a whole can of engine degreaser and silicone spray to remove the old grease. The silicone spray actually worked better than all the other spray I tried (brake cleaner, carb cleaner, wd-40, engine degreaser, pb blaster).

Now my windows goes up fast and smoothly. Just make sure you use Honda Hi-Temp Urea grease only on the window tracks. Do not use other grease.

Give Kotto Auto Glass a call... Eddie is VERY meticulous about his work

800 810 4933

I am not sure how much he would charge or if he would even do it...he did a windshield for me. VERY happy with the work. Tell him Jeff w/ the NSX sent ya'.

Jeff

Back