• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

vibration coming from engine from idle to 1800rpm

I just bought a 91 nsx and it has a weird vibration from idle untill about 2000 rpms, can any one help? Is this normal or should i be concerned?

Nothing's wrong with your car. Check out this thread from the FAQ: here

Edit: Welcome to the forum!

A rough idle can be a sign of larger problems, like bent valves, but is most likely what was described above.

If the problem gets worse or you are concerned about it the amount of noise I would have the car looked at.

dynastynsx said:
I just bought a 91 nsx and it has a weird vibration from idle untill about 2000 rpms, can any one help? Is this normal or should i be concerned?

every new owners seem to ask the same question. I did that myself and I think it is normal for that rpm range. Not sure if it is true with the 3.2 engine as well.

It is guys and it has to do with the harmonics that a V6 creates on the crank at different RPM's. Straight sixes, like the BMW's has not odd 2nd, third or 4th stage harmonics like V6's, and even some V8's. They are silky smooth if the crank throw angles are designed correctly. Of course my explanation is very rudimentary but by changing the V angle you can change this vibration to occur at different RPM ranges. V6's can come in many V angles, such at 90 (which is ours) 60, even 15 degrees and they are doing that for different reasons. I hope that helps just a little.

Get your engine recentered and be happy that your NSX has a soul before redline. :)

Greetings,
Thomas

Back