• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

want to buy NSX need opinions

Hello all, I'm looking for an NSX and have some questions for current NSX owners and would appreciate any information to help make my decision.

1) Replacement tires - i don't have so much money yet i can afford new tires every 6 months. Which would you recommend for longer tread life with minimal change in handling characteristics.

2) I like the targa roof so i want at least a 95 model. However is the 97 with the new engine and transmission significantly better to spend the extra money.

3) Any ideas as to which model year is best value/performace ratio.

Thanks for you help.

Struggling eye dr.

1) Replacement tires - I just replaced my rear OEM Bridgestones at 6,500 miles...obviously the OEM Bridgestones and Yokos don't give you many miles. Responding to my queries about alternates, NSXers who desire longer life tend to favor the Dunlop SP9000s...there is a trade off in performance, but you get many more miles. Check the FAQ for more info on tire options.

2) If you're going for the Targa, I strongly recommend the 97+ cars. I wouldn't even consider the earlier models. Keep in mind that the Targas are heavier and roll more than the coupes, so the 97+ 290HP engine and 6speed tranny help offset that considerably. Additionally, the 97+ NSX-Ts have additional rigidity to compensate for losses due to the Targa mod.

3) For Targas, 1997 is your best bet. For coupes, I'd go with a 1994 model.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 08 February 2001).]

Originally posted by eyedrj:

1) Replacement tires - i don't have so much money yet i can afford new tires every 6 months. Which would you recommend for longer tread life with minimal change in handling characteristics.

2) I like the targa roof so i want at least a 95 model. However is the 97 with the new engine and transmission significantly better to spend the extra money.

3) Any ideas as to which model year is best value/performace ratio.

Good Choice!!!!

In my opinion:

1. Still working on this one. I'm about to replace tires for the first time. The OEM Yoko's weren't available quickly so I'm trying Toyo Proxes T1S.

2 & 3. These two kind of go hand in hand. If you can find a '95 with a 6-speed or short gear mod try that. Otherwise try for a '97. The gearing seems to make a very big difference. There were other changes to the body structure in the '97+ also to stiffen things up because of the targa.

------------------
BobsYT
2000 Red/Black #81

The 97 targas are no different than the 95 targas as far as structural rigiditiy goes. The panels on the 97 cars are made from a stronger alloy, however panels do not increase rigidity.

Regards / Chris

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

1. I think spending a lot of money on a high-performance supercar, and then compromising that performance by mounting lower-performance tires, is a waste of money. You'd get more value for your money by getting a less-expensive car and keeping it properly equipped. Just my opinion.

Keep in mind that the Targas are heavier and roll more than the coupes, so the 97+ 290HP engine and 6speed tranny help offset that considerably.

The improved acceleration increase due to the '97+ changes have nothing to do with the amount of body roll in the -T.

Originally posted by eyedrj:

Since tires are THE most important component of any car, I would suggest that you do some more research on whether or not the NSX is for you. I have purchased 3 sets of new rear tires in 11 months. It is a small price to pay considering that driving with bald tires can induce much higher expenses (ie: crashes and injuries).

I suggest that you consider buying an earlier model, and with the $10-20,000 that you are saving, you can buy the best tires every six months.

Good luck in your search.

I agree with Dr. Lane. If in the first breath you say that you cannot afford to replace tires every six months, yet you are still looking at a 97+ model . . . Tires are a minimal expense. I am not suggesting that you throw away money, but tires are "noise level" as far as I am concerned on a car like this. I want it to perform, at its peak. I mean no disrespect, but considerations such as that are like buying a $50k car and worrying about gas mileage. JMO

Buy the car, you will not regret it.

Kevin

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
The 97 targas are no different than the 95 targas as far as structural rigiditiy goes.

There are structural changes for '97+. Nothing as dramatic as when they first reinforced them in '95, but you can feel the difference.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The improved acceleration increase due to the '97+ changes have nothing to do with the amount of body roll in the -T.

You're missing what I said. I lumped together the two problems with the Targas (added weight and additional roll) and then lumped together the changes. Obviously more power and tighter gearing don't affect roll...but they do help make up for the added weight (which is why I favor the 97+ over the 95-96 models).

Back