• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Was this a good or average deal on my new Dell laptop?

Sig

Experienced Member
I just bought a new laptop through Dell and feel like I got a pretty good deal. But was it really? I don't buy computers often enough or follow the latest and greatest techno pricing to truly know if I got an average deal or above average. I bought it using my company's Dell Partner discount plan.

Price Paid $1,127.92
Shipping & handling $24.00
*'s are for components that were upgrades over the base

Dell Inspiron 6000
Pentium M processor 725 - 1.6ghz/2mb cache/533 fsb
Windows XP
*15.4 Ulrasharp WSXGA+ LCD panel (approx. list price on upgrade= +$99)
1 GB DDR2 SDram
*128MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon x300 PCI Express x16 Graphics (approx. list price on upgrade= +$120)
*60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive (approx. list price on upgrade= +$80)
Integrated network card & modem
8x cd/dvd burner (dvd+/-rw)
*Intel Pro 2200 and Dell 350 bluetooth Internal wirelss cards (approx. list price on upgrade= +$35)
*9-cell lithium ion battery (80 WHr) (approx. list price on upgrade= +$99)

3yr ltd warranty, At-Home Service and Tech support plus Nights and Weekends

*3yr 'Complete Care' Accidental Damage Warrany (approx. list price on upgrade= +$119)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Looks like a good price, <rant mode on> but Dell's service sucks, I bought my Inspiron 5100 2.5 years ago through Sam's Club, including the same "3 year at home care service plan" that you got. This computer has been a total lemon, numerous bugs and issues. When I call to attempt to get the issues resolved, I get a tech that tells me to "restart the computer", the "try a system restore". Duh. They absolutely refuse to work on this computer. I tell them that this computer has numerous hardware issues (speakers sometimes don't work, can't connect to the internet (wireless or dial-up), touch pad not working correctly, usb ports not recognizing devices) and I don't have the time or patience to be walked through each issue, it would take all day. I told them I would even send them the computer, I don't need a tech to come out, or if there is a locally contracted shop I could take it to. Its been very frustrating, to say the least. I'll never purchase another Dell product. <rant mode off>

I hope you have better luck with yours.

Will

WillErickson said:
Looks like a good price, <rant mode on> but Dell's service sucks, I bought my Inspiron 5100 2.5 years ago through Sam's Club, including the same "3 year at home care service plan" that you got. This computer has been a total lemon, numerous bugs and issues. When I call to attempt to get the issues resolved, I get a tech that tells me to "restart the computer", the "try a system restore". Duh. They absolutely refuse to work on this computer. I tell them that this computer has numerous hardware issues (speakers sometimes don't work, can't connect to the internet (wireless or dial-up), touch pad not working correctly, usb ports not recognizing devices) and I don't have the time or patience to be walked through each issue, it would take all day. I told them I would even send them the computer, I don't need a tech to come out, or if there is a locally contracted shop I could take it to. Its been very frustrating, to say the least. I'll never purchase another Dell product. <rant mode off>

I hope you have better luck with yours.

Will

So do I! Sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience.

Sig, it was a decent deal...
The 3 year is what boosted the Price. I think the ones at costco only come with a 1 yr, because Dell charges for year 2 and 3.

Service , over the last 4 years I have bought nearly 200 computers from Dell. I have never had a service issue, In fact the turn around time for 3 year in home/office is usually within 24hrs. No joke....

I have never been able to get that kind of service from any other vendor that I buy anything from. The info and service that you can get and set up from their web sight isn't matched by anyone that I can think of.

Now I am not wanting to sound like a fan of Dell, because they simply fit my business model, Because there are other Laptop available at the same dollars that have a few more features at the least...

Sig, I sent you a PM of what thet System cost me... Give or take a few small differences if any...

Sig said:
I just bought a new laptop through Dell and feel like I got a pretty good deal. But was it really? I don't buy computers often enough or follow the latest and greatest techno pricing to truly know if I got an average deal or above average. I bought it using my company's Dell Partner discount plan.

Price Paid $1,127.92
Shipping & handling $24.00
*'s are for components that were upgrades over the base

Dell Inspiron 6000
Pentium M processor 725 - 1.6ghz/2mb cache/533 fsb
Windows XP
*15.4 Ulrasharp WSXGA+ LCD panel (approx. list price on upgrade= +$99)
1 GB DDR2 SDram
*128MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon x300 PCI Express x16 Graphics (approx. list price on upgrade= +$120)
*60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive (approx. list price on upgrade= +$80)
Integrated network card & modem
8x cd/dvd burner (dvd+/-rw)
*Intel Pro 2200 and Dell 350 bluetooth Internal wirelss cards (approx. list price on upgrade= +$35)
*9-cell lithium ion battery (80 WHr) (approx. list price on upgrade= +$99)

3yr ltd warranty, At-Home Service and Tech support plus Nights and Weekends

*3yr 'Complete Care' Accidental Damage Warrany (approx. list price on upgrade= +$119)
I have never had a problem with any of my Dells. I have about 8 in my office.
Also...
Price it out on both sides of Dell.
Many times they have different prices on the Small Business side for the exact same product, and you don't need to have a "business" to use that side.
-jc-

I just did what I should have done in the beginning, priced it out on the Dell public site.

I did just that and configured an identical system component for component with an identical service/warranty plan. I got a list price of $2300 and an out-the-door price of $1801 after a $500 promotional discount. So overall, it looks like I saved a bit over $600! In the end, it looks like the Dell EPP can provide some pretty good deals.

Back