• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Weathershield HD or Weathershield

Unfortunately I only have covered parking, rather than garage parking.

The person I bought my car from always kept his car in the garage and I wish to treat my car with the same respect and to keep the paint looking like it just rolled off the assembly line.

I've been doing research, and it seems like the Weathershield HD is the best for Texas weather. Does anyone have any inputs?

I have the regular weathershield and love it. That said, mine is used for inside parking only.

I would say the hd would be better, but I read some reports of scratching based on the inside material of this cover. I am almost positive the post was on www.autopia.org, but I wouldn't swear to it. Give it a search.

The hardest part is keeping your car clean. Even dust accumulated under a car cover will scratch your clear coat as you fit or remove the cover.

The weathershield is great because it is lightweight and folds really small.
I also washed and dried mine yesterday in my own washer and dryer. Piece of cake. Unless you have a huge washer and dryer at home, this is a big benefit.

Shop around, there are big price differences in these covers.

The cheapest I found the Weathershield HD is for 285. I saw some other covers that were rated well at autoanything.com. However, the cheaper ones that were rated equally happen to be their own brand, and the company may have developed a bias due to higher profit margins on company brand.

Did you find the thread that stated that the HD had left some abrasions to the surface?
I have some websites with good prices at home I can check if you like.

After searching for about 3 hours on the web, the best price I found was 285 bucks for the Weathershield HD custom fit for the NSX.

Man thats a lot of money on a car cover!!!

PT91

I went to the thread. I was on the phone today w/ a few different car cover companies, webcover selling for 299...

I will have the seam lined with the flanel as instructed.

I appreciate you going out of your way to get my questions answered.

Thanks a lot!

I will let you know how much I like the HD when I get it.

Mani

I have the stock/factory car cover on my car all winter and I take it on and off quite often. Its flannel lined and has never scratched my car yet :smile:

I thought that the stock car cover was for indoor use only.
Is it water resistant?

Just curious, why would you assume that the Weathershield HD is the best for Texas weather? Was there something in their marketing pitch? :wink:

We offer the exclusive IntroTech car cover custom made for the NSX. It is very light weight, UV treated, both indoor and outdoor use, breathable microfiber 150 Denier, and unlike others, has unlimited warranty (instead of 5 years, or 2 years .......), fits the Type R wing, and the wide body though the fit is tight on the latter. All that for almost half the price with a carrying bag and an option of your choice of logo color too. :biggrin:

Details here: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4288956653

And here: http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1462

And even if you decide to go with Weathershield or another brand, do ask the vendors/manufacturers for any studies whether drying them in your home dryer as opposed to hanging them to dry would not shorten their shelf life.

While we have introduced this product to the NSX community only about 14 months ago, thus far we have not heard of a single complaint from about 40+ customers.

HTH

Last edited:
pt91 said:
I thought that the stock car cover was for indoor use only.
Is it water resistant?

Everyone has been saying its for indoor only but as ive said before it appears to be waterproof and my car doesnt get wet for some odd reason

HRANT

I am just worried that my baby will lose its shine, and I'm also worried about the interior aging. When I bought the car, the car came w/ the OEM car cover. However, I personally don't trust it. The cover is said to be waterproof, but not water repellant.

I've been researching car covers a lot, but have not heard of your product. I've read the best on the market is the Weathershield HD, "good for coastal areas"

Unfortunately, my apt complex only has covered parking, no garage parking. The price for your product seems much more reasonable, but hey you pay peanuts, you get monkeys right?

UNLESS you can prove otherwise.

Open to hearing your pitch as to why your product maybe a better buy rather than the HD. (aside from the pricing)

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Everyone has been saying its for indoor only but as ive said before it appears to be waterproof and my car doesnt get wet for some odd reason

Wanted to add my $0.02.

At NSXPO 2003 I used my OEM car cover in the Embassy parking lot. There was a lot of fog that night and it collected on the car cover. No water was present on the surface of the car. I guess this means that it is waterproof.

But here is the *huge* downside. The cover does not shead the water like a Weathershield cover but holds onto it much more tenaciously. Also, if it gets on the flannel side it just gets worse. It took me a while to get the cover dried off and until it was dried there was, I would guess, 4-5 CUPS of water collected in the car cover bag. The bag is incidentally waterproof also because none of it made it onto the trunk carpet.

Back to the original topic. I have no experience with either the WeatherShield HD or Hrant's cover. But based on what you want to use the cover for (garage parking) I would recommend one of the nicer Evolution covers or the OEM cover

Pros / Cons on the Evolution covers:
- Much bulkier
- Not as nice looking
- Heaver than the Weathershield covers, and from the looks of it Hrant's as well.

+ has 4 layers and has much better bump protection
+ Cheaper

IMHO, if you are in garage parking (not covered parking as in apartments) I would get the Evolution 4 cover or the OEM cover. I have used them on many cars and they are designed not to scratch. They are about 4 times as thick and will help when unkind people lean their bodies or their car up against your NSX. If you are in a garage, you should not have to worry as much about moisture. My main concern would be door dings and people dragging things along your car. I once had a person per a box on the trunk lid of my SC400. I not so nicely asked them to remove it when I walked up to my car. For those cases *I* would get the thickest cover you can find.

HTH, Sorry if it is not answering the question you originally asked, but hopefully it is pertinent.

Comments embedded ......... take it with the humor intended :smile:

NSXFreak00 said:
HRANT

I am just worried that my baby will lose its shine, and I'm also worried about the interior aging.

........ Mani, it's only a car. After the first rock chip from the FWY, or the ding from the shopping mall, you will feel differently unless you intend to keep it as a garage queen like Jeff (aka Hiroshima) :wink:

When I bought the car, the car came w/ the OEM car cover. However, I personally don't trust it. The cover is said to be waterproof, but not water repellant.

....... I think you meant to say water repellent and not waterproof. If trust is based on waterproof issue, no other car cover that is breathable will be waterproof. Not even the OEM, and I used to have one. Read the fine print, they are water resistant or water repellent. But if indeed they are waterproof tight, then moisture from under the cover can't escape out and that will cause serious damage to your paint, and mildew on the cover. Why do you think they say don't drive with your nose cover (bra for non-pc) in the rain? Or remove it immediately afterwords? The nose bra being vinyl is waterproof after all ......... As Jeff recommends, the OEM or the Evolution 4 will give you more protection from dings. But, besides being bulky, the OEM will leave fuzz after each use. Ours is about the size of the CD changer in your trunk.

I've been researching car covers a lot, but have not heard of your product.

....... You haven’t hit the search button on the vendor list or have you? Check under car covers :tongue:

I've read the best on the market is the Weathershield HD, "good for coastal areas"

...... I was going to say no comments but could not resist. Do they make one for mountain areas, flat lands, in-lands, or how about dry weather vs. humid weather, one for the southwest vs. one for the northeast, one for dark colors and one for light colors …… but more seriously, as long as you tie the cover down correctly (and we have two tie downs – front/back plus the lock), our cover will withstand the Arizona or Texas sun and sands. And ours go lower than the OEM, just about 2” max from the floor.

Unfortunately, my apt complex only has covered parking, no garage parking.

……. Here is real deal. Jeff, having a long running reputation amongst the locals for being anal about his car cover usage :tongue: offers good advice here for your needs. And 2-3 cups of water after a heavy night of dew is a bonus that few other car covers can offer …… even Griot’s garage does not offer the HD version of Weathershield, perhaps they are still negotiating the commission :eek: :wink:

The price for your product seems much more reasonable, but hey you pay peanuts, you get monkeys right?

....... Let me see, if I put a store front, hire some employees, create and maintain a web store (DaliRacing bails me out in here), pay all the distributors commission, hire marketing firms, put ads in car magazines and charge you the same $400 would that then make my product more likely to convince you as a premium quality or better? I will be happy to toss in a fuzzy monkey wearing an NSX logo if you go along with the $400 price tag :biggrin:

UNLESS you can prove otherwise.

....... Ah the bate finally heh ……… The only difference I see is that the HD is 300 Denier vs. ours is 150 Denier (corrected my earlier post). But since you already have covered parking, I don't see the advantage for double the price. The higher the Denier number the tighter is the weave and thus while more durable, it also becomes less breathable. So, perhaps that is why they don't advertise for rainy areas, and hence there is some truth to their marketing. For a reference, entry level luggage start at 300 Denier whereas ballistic Denier can hit 1600+.

Edit: If you read the difference between the regular Weathershield and the HD, they note that the latter is for heavier/larger cars with sharp edges and angles (thus the 300 Denier), and mostly for RVs that would be parked outside all the time. They also note that it is heavier and bulkier than their regular one. And for regular daily use, they recommend their regular Weathershield which would be almost identical to ours. But wait, there is more :eek: ...... they charge an additional $9.95 for the lock, and another $9.95 for the storage bag, and I bet you it comes without a logo :cool:

Open to hearing your pitch as to why your product maybe a better buy rather than the HD. (aside from the pricing)

Can't say it is better or worse since I didn't test ours against theirs. I found this webpage which should give you a comparison with other brands:

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=c&cid=3

Edit: Note the comparisons are for the regular weathershield and not the HD.

But read my warranty against theirs that should say something even for the non HD. And the best testimonial would be from the 40+ current users if they care to pitch in. I am game.

HTH.

Last edited:
Based on what Hrant stated in his post I think his cover is comparible to the weathershield. I do not have any first hand experience with his cover but the material in the pics and the size it stores at looks to be very similar to the CoverCraft Weathersheild material.

I still stand behind my recommendation to buy a thicker cover until you have your own enclosed garage. But if you do decide on a weathershield style cover, for the price that Hrant is offering, I think you should go with his.

HTH

BTW. My car is not really a garage queen. It has 122k miles and a ton of rock chips. I just keep the parts where there is paint shiney :biggrin:

Back