• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What are the model or type called when the tail lights are connected to the spoiler from one end to the other?

I couldn't find a quick question thread so I'll post a thread instead.

Hello all. I've loved the first generation NSX ever since I played Gran Turismo 3 as a kid and the most amazing thing I have ever put my eyes on when it comes to cars is that beautiful tail light and spoiler combination, where it looks like a sideways D when the car is braking

(quick photoshop of what I mean):

I just want to know this car more and am wondering if having the tail light connected like that is a mod or if the car came like that but as some updated design, a different type or something.

This is the standard design. Only the NSX-R 2002+ had a different spoiler from the factory that no longer had the connected light bar (3rd brake light).

This is the standard design. Only the NSX-R 2002+ had a different spoiler from the factory that no longer had the connected light bar (3rd brake light).
NSX-R still has a third brake light.

Ah okay! I didn't understand the question at first.

Also the NSX-R, S Zero, and Zanardi's wing is slightly different because of the reduced weight version. Just for reference if anyone is wondering :)

Hmmm. A red sideways "D" like the OP has shown must be an aftermarket item, of which there are many, not OEM. The "D" is thrice "broken" on OEM. Maybe GT3 based their model on one with aftermarket rear lights?
The original version had outboard rectangular yellow turn signals, also available in a smoked tint from Honda in Japan, which broke up the corners of the "D". Also just above the signal is a triangular rear reflector.
They changed the blinkers to yellow ovals inside a red rectangle in 2002.
But neither design connected along the lower section. The section with an H or A that you put your key into is not illuminated, and on either side of that rectangle are the reverse lights, which are white. The key section is available aftermarket in an illuminated form.

Interestingly, this "broken" D appearance is continued on the NC1, although the spoiler is not illuminated.

Last edited:
Back