• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What can be damaged on an NSX waiting 17 years in the showroom?

Hmm, After doing more research on my car, I knew it was owned by an Olympic Gold Medalist, but wasn't sure who.

I was looking through the paperwork and the person who owned it was
" Derrick Campbell 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano Gold Medal Winner
Short Track Speed Skating
Men's 5,000 metres Relay "

He was selling the car due to moving to canada for his job.

Kind of Unique, I knew he was a gold medalist but I thought it was cross country skiing instead of speed skating.

Many factors could qualify a certain car as something I would want to mark as significant. They include, but are not limited to:

- Rare color/transmission combinations
- Low mileage cars
- Celebrity owned
- Factory one-offs whose existence is denied
- Cars that have been exported out of their original market
- Early or Late Production numbers for a given year

I usually put a notation about these cars in my production number spreadsheet.

Hmm, After doing more research on my car, I knew it was owned by an Olympic Gold Medalist, but wasn't sure who.

I was looking through the paperwork and the person who owned it was
" Derrick Campbell 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano Gold Medal Winner
Short Track Speed Skating
Men's 5,000 metres Relay "

He was selling the car due to moving to canada for his job.

Kind of Unique, I knew he was a gold medalist but I thought it was cross country skiing instead of speed skating.

If you feel you have a "significant" or historical NSX and want me to make a note of it in my spreadsheet, feel free to PM me the VIN and production date (found on the label in the driver doorjamb). A picture of the label would be even better. :) If you're uncomfortable giving out the VIN, all I need are the last 8 digits.

Last edited:
It appears the car is from Switzerland (CH on bumper).

He should have taken it to Canada with him. Kms. on the speedo, etc. He wouldn't have had to pay any duty on it either, as he has owned it for a while.
These cars sell for much more here than in the US. This one is special.

VIN?

It appears the car is from Switzerland (CH on bumper).

He should have taken it to Canada with him. Kms. on the speedo, etc. He wouldn't have had to pay any duty on it either, as he has owned it for a while.
These cars sell for much more here than in the US. This one is special.

The special thing about the car is that it's a 91 BUT was never registrated or owned (except for the dealer) by somebody. We have a somewhat 'strange' system: the first date of registration is the year of the car. If it gets registrated the car is officially 'born' in 2008 for example. Funny thing because the production ended in 2005. But for the insurance company it's a 2008 or new car regardless of it's true birth date. :) That's a little bit weird with our system.

There is a 95 out there but it's a true 91.

People are still trying o figure out which car Ayrton Senna had, I believe.

If someone had found HIS car, it would be worth a fortune…Ben, do you have any ideas about his VIN number?
For example, it would have been a European model. Was it red? I believe it was. Also I thought I read somewhere it was registered in Switzerland or Italy. Was it an actual production model, or a pre-production?

Anyone?

To give you an example of how European VIN numbers don’t match the years, when I bought my NSX in Holland, it had a registration date of 1993. But I recognised it as a 1991 year car.

Then I had to register it in the UK, for that I had to have a letter from Honda in Japan telling the production date.
Honda Japan said it was produced from the factory on 26 November 1990 and sent to Italy. Then it was displayed in a showroom for several years before being taken to Holland.

So this shows it is not easy to determine the car details from only the papers.

Could this be Senna’s car?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
A guy told me that no. 1 was Sennas and no. 2 was Gerhard Bergers car. But this info is of high uncertainty. As Berger is austrian the car could be still in Austria.

Last info on this one.

It still has the OEM oil filter and the brake fluid looks very brown and a liitle dirty. God knows how the hydraulics look inside esp. the brake calipers ($$$). The fluid actually looks like 17 years old and I don't know why it hasn't been changed even once in those years.

The garage dealer whom belonged the car died a year ago and his sister turned my fair offer down and holds it as a memoriabilita. Too bad for the car if they don't do the necessary things but maybe it's too late for it anyway. Said to see.

Last info on this one.

It still has the OEM oil filter and the brake fluid looks very brown and a liitle dirty. God knows how the hydraulics look inside esp. the brake calipers ($$$). The fluid actually looks like 17 years old and I don't know why it hasn't been changed even once in those years.

The garage dealer whom belonged the car died a year ago and his sister turned my fair offer down and holds it as a memoriabilita. Too bad for the car if they don't do the necessary things but maybe it's too late for it anyway. Said to see.

I would avoid this one like the plague. You're never going to convince the seller that the car isn't worth a high premium and some fool will buy it. Let them deal with it.

17 year old oil on a car driven 2-3 times a year is a frightening proposition. Probably gas at least 10 years old sitting in the tank. Wow. IMO this car is far worse off than a 200K+ mile well-maintained NSX and should be priced accordingly.

My 17 year old model hasn't cracked one rubber part yet. The real concern would be as Ron said: acid in the bearings as that could be real expensive, ditto the tranny. If it's literally been in the showroom, acid formation should have been minimal as I believe condensation is necessary to create the acid. If it's sat outside a couple of times a year in the wrong environment that might start the process. Personally if the price was right I would go for it, but i would not pay a premium though as you do have a slight risk there. I would think you could still find pristine 20k cars for much less(?)

My 17 year old model hasn't cracked one rubber part yet. The real concern would be as Ron said: acid in the bearings as that could be real expensive, ditto the tranny. If it's literally been in the showroom, acid formation should have been minimal as I believe condensation is necessary to create the acid. If it's sat outside a couple of times a year in the wrong environment that might start the process. Personally if the price was right I would go for it, but i would not pay a premium though as you do have a slight risk there. I would think you could still find pristine 20k cars for much less(?)

But your car has not been sitting for 17 years. There are many parts that fail due to non-use alone. A 17 year old, regularly driven car may not ever have some of the issue that a 17 year old museum piece may have.

For me, the price would have to be very right, like almost the same as a average mileage 91 in great shape. I would expect to put $10K into this car to get it to daily driving shape and even then strange problems may occur for the rest of the car's life.

For me, the price would have to be very right, like almost the same as a average mileage 91 in great shape. I would expect to put $10K into this car to get it to daily driving shape and even then strange problems may occur for the rest of the car's life.

They ask about 5-10k more that the average price of a 91. They say: look how clean and unused it is. Your guess about the 10k is about right as the car needs TB/WP, CCU, BOSE, tires, full service, coolant hoses and battery for sure. The hydraulics esp. brakes and climat control are very unsure and both are expensive as well. Paying a premium is not reasonable under these circumstances.

They ask about 5-10k more that the average price of a 91. They say: look how clean and unused it is. Your guess about the 10k is about right as the car needs TB/WP, CCU, BOSE, tires, full service, coolant hoses and battery for sure. The hydraulics esp. brakes and climat control are very unsure and both are expensive as well. Paying a premium is not reasonable under these circumstances.

Agree 100%

Thomas,
Keep us informed as to the results of the sale of this car. It would be interesting to hear from the new owner, if not you.
I agree on replacing some of the stuff:
Brake Fluid,
Coolant,
Timing Belt,
Trans Fluid,
Engine Oil,
TIRES for sure, a good inspection of the others would be prudent.

As far as the other things, I would just drive it and change them as they failed. Remember the CCU and BOSE AMPS didn't fail early, only after much use. The A/C system would just have to be used and see what happens. Honda makes a very good A/C system with quality seals. Granted these are better if used regularly, but may still be OK. After the big scare that there would not be any R-12 for the old A/C systems it seems that today there is still plenty of R-12 available at a reasonable price. I paid like $40/lb last summer. I wouldn't worry too much about the coolant hoses. They have had very few heat cycles. Give them a squeeze and check for flexablility, they should be fine.
Brad

Brad,

Thanks for your input.

I'd change the R12 like the other fluids too but have to admit that I don't know if freon can go bad. There is oil in there too and maybe some water also. -> main reason for changing it. A conversion to R134 is very simple as the gaskets of the compressor are already designed for it (called Denso Germany).

The dealer has told me that the BOSE and CCU are defective. The caps dry out even without usage, it only takes longer.

Most frightening is the 17 years old brake fluid. I don't know if there has built up rust in the system. Calipers and the hole ABS system could be affected.

I'll try to hold track of the car.

Do European cars have the VIN and production date label in the driver doorjamb? If yes, what is the production date of this car?

Back