• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What can I expect when I’m ready to buy an Acura NSX?

Hi everyone. I’ve concluded that I would like to look into purchasing an Acura NSX in a few years time when I have the money available. I have a few questions:

1.) Can I expect prices for the NSX to be significantly higher in a few years compared to today?

2.) What is the cost of ownership like? Compared to a BMW ///M car, can I expect to pay more or less?

3.) What is ownership and the driving experience like? Does it attract a lot of attention? I enjoy smaller, lighter cars; hence why my current weekend car is a Miata.

Thank you for any help!

1. Yes, they will continue to climb in value, but there will be a deal to be had....be patient

2. Cost of ownership depends on how well kept the NSX you buy is.... but if you find one that needs some maintenance the price should reflect it. Things are gonna break on an older car, but nothing catastrophic on these cars for the most part. It's not cheap, but not crazy expensive

3. Ownership is awesome.... just seeing it in your garage puts a smile on your face let alone driving it. It gets attention at cars and coffee as people still love seeing this icon and kids on the street usually give you a stare but nothing crazy.

1. Yes, they will continue to climb in value, but there will be a deal to be had....be patient

2. Cost of ownership depends on how well kept the NSX you buy is.... but if you find one that needs some maintenance the price should reflect it. Things are gonna break on an older car, but nothing catastrophic on these cars for the most part. It's not cheap, but not crazy expensive

3. Ownership is awesome.... just seeing it in your garage puts a smile on your face let alone driving it. It gets attention at cars and coffee as people still love seeing this icon and kids on the street usually give you a stare but nothing crazy.

Thank you! What is the driving experience like in a NSX? Does it feel lightweight and nimble? How does it do in the twisties? Would you say its a decently quick car?

Prices will increase. Snap ring failure would be the most expensive non maintenance item to fix, apart from that you may have to deal with slow rolling windows, busted radio and or climate control and a buzzy ABS accumulator. With that being said, these cars are solid!

May I ask how you’ve decided that you want to buy an NSX before you’ve even driven one?

Prices will increase. Snap ring failure would be the most expensive non maintenance item to fix, apart from that you may have to deal with slow rolling windows, busted radio and or climate control and a buzzy ABS accumulator. With that being said, these cars are solid!

May I ask how you’ve decided that you want to buy an NSX before you’ve even driven one?

Thanks! I’ve just always thought of the NSX as an iconic Japanese sportscar, so I just assumed it would be a fun car to drive. I would like to test drive one, but I’m afraid dealers won’t want to hand over the keys with no intention of purchasing yet.

I just got my first NSX 2 weeks ago. It's been my dream car since I was 10. I'm not just a fan of the NSX, I feel like the NSX is a part of my ethos since it's been in my life for so long. Anyways, onto the reality of owning one. I'm not a super rich person, so a car like this puts a lot of pressure on me to keep it pristine so that I can keep the value up if I sell it. That means things like - keeping it garaged, getting stressed when you park it somewhere out in the open, not driving it in the rain. All that stuff kinda puts a reality check on the dream. Bank on things needing to be repaired on a 20-30yo car. Even if the big things like timing belt and clutch are taken care of, there will likely be some small things here and there (speaker amps, hydraulics for trunks & hoods, etc) and it just depends on how crazy you want to get to try to have all the mechanicals at 100%.

Driving it, the only thing I don't like is the steering. I have a 91 with no power steering, and while I expect having to work the steering wheel, I find that you have to turn the wheel quite a bit to make it turn where you want it to. The low seating, clutch+shifter, visibility, engine are all sublime. There is a bit of attention out on the road and gas stations - generally it's all fun. I don't care about the attention or showing off. If I had my way I'd be invisible.

another fun honda is the S2000....

I have yet to come across an NSX owner who doesn't declare that they will increase. I think there are a lot of variables when it comes to this, and lots can happen within the market that can affect the price, and it is really unknown. The best thing you can do is find the google spreadsheets; a member has compiled a ton of historical data and it will give you an idea of pricing. Bring a Trailer prices seem unusually high. also, just because you see them listed for a price, doesn't mean that's the selling price. Your best bet is to figure out which one you want (NSX vs NSX-T) (manual vs Auto) (3.0 vs 3.2) etc etc and track down prices relative to those specs.

another fun honda is the S2000....
I may take some heat for this, but I'll take docjohn's post a step further: if you're looking for a car in which to go tear up twisty roads you might consider an S2000. I think it does many things as well as or even better than an NSX, and is less expensive to own. However, the NSX is a better looking car, a better touring car, and will garner attention that you won't receive in an S2000.

Or you can buy a slightly used newer car with all the attributes of the Gen1 NSX for around the same price as a higher mileage NSX. It’s called the Porsche Cayman.

Last edited:
I think many people buy the ‘old’ NSX because they love the look of the car, not performance since some newer cars are definitely better performers for the same money or less.

Last edited:
I think many people buy the ‘old’ NSX because they love the look of the car, not performance since some newer cars are definitely better performers for the same money or less.

I also think they want to buy one to drive it often. These cars are becoming "classic" vehicles and shit will start breaking, and parts will be hard to find. I can't justify buying car just because I love the look. And look at how many owners here are DIYers.

Get One!

1.) Can I expect prices for the NSX to be significantly higher in a few years compared to today?

The past is the best predictor of the future. The value of the NSX has risen and should continue. But nobody can tell you for a fact one way or another. If you are buying a car as an investment then you can't drive an NSX and if you can't drive it - why buy it?????

2.) What is the cost of ownership like? Compared to a BMW ///M car, can I expect to pay more or less?

I owned a BMW E39 M5 along with several other BMWs over the years. The M5 was one of the best cars I've ever owned, fun to drive, good interior space, got a lot of attention since it was red and I loved to drive it on the highway! The only thing I didn't like was it felt like a big car! Certainly not a quick fun runabout like your Miata.

The biggest drawback was that I was ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS having to fix something. Sometimes it was expensive (new trailing arms and front suspension components, thermostat etc etc etc.......) and sometimes not so expensive like VANOS, which if your handy can be repaired yourself. but if you pay someone to do the Vanos its really expensive. The cost of ownership was high not only monetarily but with my time. I sold the M5 and while I miss it - I was not sad to sell it.

I own two NSXs a 91 Red/bk 5 speed and a 97 Spa Yellow Auto. If you buy one with the timing belt and water pump recently replaced you should be fine. It's a Honda and the reliability with Honda is known for is certainly likely in any NSX. Im sure there are some with horror stories like any car, but for the most part the NSX is VERY reliable.

I bought one in Las Vegas and Drove it home 2281 miles - no problems. I'd NEVER do that in a BMW......

3.) What is ownership and the driving experience like? Does it attract a lot of attention? I enjoy smaller, lighter cars; hence why my current weekend car is a Miata.

The car will get a lot of attention. Almost every time you fill up with gas, stop for a bite to eat and driving down the road people will look and ask questions. The car drives incredible. It's quick, nimble and a blast to drive. Only one complaint - it's hard to get in and out of for this 59 year old!! I think everyone will tell you it's worth it though!! The Targa is a lot easier to get in and out if you have the top out.

If you get one I will almost guarantee you that you will fall in love with it. It's the best of all worlds with very little drawbacks. And if you are a golfer you can put your clubs in the trunk... just sayin!

Good luck I don't think you will be disappointed as long as you buy a good car with some documentation and if you buy it from someone on this site even better because everyone here will help you with any problem you have.

Mark

Light and nimble? You bet! Nothing will put a smile on your face like driving a twisty back road in an NSX. You will get attention wherever you go like no other car. If I don't get a thumbs up from another driver every time I drive it, I think somethings wrong. I had a pedestrian jump out in front of me, in traffic just to tell me he was in love with the car! Be alert, or you'll run someone over. :)

My thoughts:

How's the Miata doing? Do you care? Do you enjoy it? Somewhat regardless of purchase price what would expect as an acceptable loss?
When I bought my car I thought - well if I sell it in 5 years and take a $10K loss, so what - my CRV takes the same hit.

I would bet much less - I do all of my repairs myself and I'm not a mechanic - these guys here are knowledgeable and do nice write ups on most topics.
I think my billfold would rather be at a reputable Acura dealer that services NSXs, or a local expert than waiting for the bill on an M car. Maybe I am wrong.

These cars are a blast to drive, nimble, and have nice power in the VTEC range. Try to get in one, even if only for a ride.
Sorry - you're going to get attention, most likely because there are rare and timelessly stylish (we'll see in 10 years).

And as others have said - be patient - make records of cars and sale prices. Eventually one will stick out as a good buy.

Good luck on your decision.

Al

One thing to consider (which has been mentioned in other similar threads, but not here yet) is getting replacement parts. Although it is not impossible, be prepared to either wait a little or hunt around for used or equivalent parts.
For example, my car had misfire problems after a wash. A quick search on the forums showed that water would run off the back window and land on the motor. The gasket surrounding the ignition coil was bad causing water to leak in. Finding replacements for OEM ignition coils took while because they had to be shipped from Japan. It was not a deal breaker, but couldn't drive the car for awhile.

I read somewhere that OEM windshields are no longer available. I have not confirm this, but gives you an idea of what to face when owning an old car.

Don't let this unmotivated you. I'm just sharing my experience so you set your expectations to avoid surprises.
In the end, it is a blast to drive and worth the sweat.

Thank you! What is the driving experience like in a NSX? Does it feel lightweight and nimble? How does it do in the twisties? Would you say its a decently quick car?

Test drive an S2000 at a dealer lot and you're 75% of the way there. Same tight handling, same shifter, same build quality. The length / engine placement in the NSX vs the S2000 feels different, and obviously the increased torque of the V6 is immediately noticeable. Also there's the targa vs soft-top difference.

Values will continue to go up, especially since the new NSX isn't selling in big numbers (same with the MkIV Supra vs the BMW that succeeded it).

+1 for everybody saying "try the S2000", I had one as a starter car before trading it up to the NSX. Buy the right S2000 and you won't lose a dime on it over the next 3-5 years. Then roll that into the NSX.

+1 for everybody saying "try the S2000"

I'm gonna add my voice to the S2000 choir. I have both and for me the S2000 is a much easier, and frankly, more enjoyable car for daily driving, around town stuff. The power steering and short turning radius, and shorter overall length make it much more maneuverable in parking lots, and it sits high enough that I don't have to worry about the door hitting curbs when I open it like I do w/ the NSX. It is plenty competent at speed on any of the country back roads around here and the quick steering response is a hoot. I can't go any faster on the roads around here in the NSX than I can in the S2000, it's just a different feel. The NSX is much more comfortable for long trips and more stable for high speed open road stuff. I would never sell the NSX in favor of the S2000, but I definitely opt for the S2000 more often when it's just the daily driving chores. You can't find a more fun DD than the S2000.

Its the best toy you'll ever buy.... attracts attention like a boner in church... cheap to run and own.... and you never see another driving around....

do buy one of these

Ive driven the s2000, and they are cool for sure... if you have the dough.. buy the NSX

Or you can buy a slightly used newer car with all the attributes of the Gen1 NSX for around the same price as a higher mileage NSX. It’s called the Porsche Cayman.

yes... there are a lot of cars you can buy for the same money as an NSX... and you get a car either everybody has.. or almost anyone can get!!

performance.. do we really care.. the speed limit is 70... and there are cops/potholes and texters everywhere....

road feel... yea.. nsx has it
looks... yea
"where you get that"??? oh heavens yes
I thought it was only a Ferrari when I saw you pull up!!! oh yes
can I take a picture with it? yup

It's non stop..... if you going to drive anything but a minivan.... might as well be something special... go thru the effort and expense to find an NSX... it's worth the effort. No point in a toy car unless everybody wants to see it. People actually thank you for showing up at their show and shine!!!

In fairness.. don't daily drive it... it's a toy.. lets be realistic

If your criteria is a fun sports car, the S2000 is probably one of the top choices. The NSX isn't just any old fun sports car - it's special, it's an engineering masterpiece, it's rare, it's exotic, it's a dream car. It's overqualified for the fun sports car criteria.

Back