• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What do you think this MR2 is worth?

Wow, that's a beauty.. prime example..
I would just check the values of all the agencies (KBB, Nada, and others) to get a value... start from there.

Seems like most fair condition cars are asking for $3000-$5000. This is a prime example, but if it's at $10200 and the reserve isn't met.. I would pass... There's a lot of other cars I'd consider before this... (like the second gen MR2 turbo instead)

Last edited:
I'd say it's worth a good amount. Not many of them around and certainly not many with that low mileage. I have not seen a first gen MR2 in quite a while. I happen to be only 30 or so miles from where that car is located. Never seen it in person though. You thinking of bidding?

I'd say it's worth a good amount. Not many of them around and certainly not many with that low mileage. I have not seen a first gen MR2 in quite a while. I happen to be only 30 or so miles from where that car is located. Never seen it in person though. You thinking of bidding?

While I know that there are other cars that would have better performance on paper for this money, this is truly a rarity in the Japanese mid-engined world. I occasionally see them, but they are almost always in bad shape with the trademark fender rust etc...I currently have a 93 MR2 as my daily driver, but this would be more of a collector item for me - putting 3-5K miles on her a year, similar to my NSX. Am I thinking of bidding? - Strongly considering it. This was the car that I fell in love with that got me into MR cars, and I have owned an MR2 since 1997. He has listed it before and has not met reserve in the auction. I am not too sure how much I am willing to pay for it, but I was thinking in the neighborhood of 12K. I "stole" my 93 when I bought it from a one-owner back in 2002 with 12K miles for $8500. Doesn't look like I will be getting THAT kind of deal. :eek:

EDIT: His reserve is $17K. I'll pass.

Last edited:
While I know that there are other cars that would have better performance on paper for this money, this is truly a rarity in the Japanese mid-engined world. I occasionally see them, but they are almost always in bad shape with the trademark fender rust etc...I currently have a 93 MR2 as my daily driver, but this would be more of a collector item for me - putting 3-5K miles on her a year, similar to my NSX. Am I thinking of bidding? - Strongly considering it. This was the car that I fell in love with that got me into MR cars, and I have owned an MR2 since 1997. He has listed it before and has not met reserve in the auction. I am not too sure how much I am willing to pay for it, but I was thinking in the neighborhood of 12K. I "stole" my 93 when I bought it from a one-owner back in 2002 with 12K miles for $8500. Doesn't look like I will be getting THAT kind of deal. :eek:

EDIT: His reserve is $17K. I'll pass.
Holy guacamole Batman!

I appreciate the guys enthusiasm, but something tells me he will have that car listed for a long time at that reserve price.

One of the nicest collectibles from Toyota is this first gen supercharged MR2.

I was personally searching one of these but never came across one this clean and low mileage. However I think $12K is probably the top $ I will pay.

It's definitely one of a kind and not many left.

If he is willing to wait months (or even years) for the perfect buyer, then $17k might be doable. A car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I'm asked all the time if I would be willing to sell my NSX. Easy answer, YES. My car is always for sale - don't expect a good deal as my price is fairly high. :)

Agreed on all counts. 12K was about my price point. He could be sitting on this for years, but as it was pointed out, value is in the eye of the beholder. Shame...I really wanted this. If someone wants to give me $50K for my 91 then I could work it out. :tongue:

I "stole" my 93 when I bought it from a one-owner back in 2002 with 12K miles for $8500.

Nice! I wish I had been looking back then. Clean 91-94 MR2s are impossible to find now. Do you have any photos of yours? I would be happy with an NSX and MR2 in my stable. Very envious. :)

Well, my 93 is not as clean compared to 10 years ago when I bought her. She has 160K miles on her now. But all in all, she still shines up pretty nice after a good cleanup. Getting ready to replace the leather interior on her in the next few weeks.

Here is a pic from last year taken from my iPhone.

attachment.php

Attachments

• mr2.jpg
    mr2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 189
An MKII with that low of miles is worth 17k, not sure about an MK1. Several <50k mile turbo MKII's are bringing near that figure.

Well, my 93 is not as clean compared to 10 years ago when I bought her. She has 160K miles on her now. But all in all, she still shines up pretty nice after a good cleanup. Getting ready to replace the leather interior on her in the next few weeks.

Here is a pic from last year taken from my iPhone.

http://nsxprime.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=85347&stc=1&d=1333309131
Looks clean! It seems lots of NSXers are former MR2 owners: http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46950

I'd love to drive a MKII MR2 someday to find out what it's like to drive the other Japanese mid-engine sports car. :)

I've owned 2 mkII MR2's, my first was NA, second was turbo.

I still remember they day I bought my first one, it was July 1996 - bought a 91 MR2 NA for $10,500 with about 40k miles on it. I miss that car.

I had a 91 MR2 from 95 to 98. I recently did a search on used cars and was surprised to see that car might be worth more now than I sold it for in 98.

Wonderful little car, a 2/3 scale NSX in many ways. It is the car that gave me the mid engined wonderlust.

I love both the MR2 and NSX. Very similar, but very different at the same time. In some ways, I like the overall feel - handling wise - of driving the MR2 over the NSX. I have Tein Coilovers on both cars, but IMO, the Tein coilovers perform better on the MR2.

Glad to see so many MR2 enthusiasts around here. I have never owned a MKI, but I have always wanted to. Too bad his reserve is 17K. Phew.

Last edited:
Back