• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What else should I do with a Comptech SC Install?

So, I am thinking seriously about the comptech sc for my basically stock 97...I have only added an Anytime exhaust and a K&N filter...and my question is "Do I need to mod anything else?"

By this I mean, with all the extra power, what, if anything, will need to be upgraded...suspension, tire size, clutch, other engine components?...my car is really only for street, but I'd love the extra power...I just haven't seen anyone say if you install a sc that you should also do this...

I guess what I am saying is there anything that I HAVE to add with an sc?

From what I hear just bolt on and enjoy the ride :biggrin:

Some will say you need bigger brakes with the added power. Personally, for street driving I don't think that is the case. The CTSC is not THAT much faster.

NetViper said:
Some will say you need bigger brakes with the added power. Personally, for street driving I don't think that is the case. The CTSC is not THAT much faster.

Do I detect a little sarcastic tone? :biggrin:

92NSX said:
I seriously don't think so.

Hence the Grin, lighten up :wink:

92NSX said:
I saw the grin. Why would you say I need to lighten up? I was merely saying I don't think Dave was indicating any sarcasm.

kidding bro :wink:

netfreak said:
So the stock engine can handle constant boost without the need for aftermarket pistons and related internal items?

Yes and no.
Yes, many on here have had no problems running boost on stock internals.
No, many on here have had problems running boost on stock internals.

Added the Comptech SC to my 92 approximately 1 year ago, all stock engine internals. Everything is working fine. Added a Comptech clutch due to age and miles on the original clutch prior to SC install. If you have any additional questions or would like to talk through the install process feel free to contact me.

You might want to consider adding a stronger clutch although this is not a necessity. My 1997 only has 15K miles and with the added power of the ctsc the stock clutch can slip. This is not a problem and does not occur under normal spirited driving, however if you really like to take off off the line or shift at high rpm the stock clutch cannot handle the extra power.

BTW i have the same exact problem with the stock clutch on my s2000 which is also supercharged. as of yet i have not changed either clutch as again under normal driving it is not a problem.. Just a heads up.

Thanks

tom

netfreak said:
Yeah definately a stronger clutch. I would also think you'd want to keep an eye on fuel flow and management.. last thing you want is to run lean or rich and kill the engine.

I hear its a good idea to replace the fuel filter on older NSX's

Mike,

You mean "Fuel Pump". Since the CTSC uses a step up voltage system to raise the fuel pressure, over time it can beat up the stock pump to the point of failure. The voltage can go up to +20V:). Walbro 255HP pump would be the way to go.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
Mike,

You mean "Fuel Pump". Since the CTSC uses a step up voltage system to raise the fuel pressure, over time it can beat up the stock pump to the point of failure. The voltage can go up to +20V:). Walbro 255HP pump would be the way to go.

HTH,
LarryB

SOS makes a kit for this using the Walbro but ive read on numerous you should replace the fuel filter as well.

Okay...since I started this thread...let me summarize...

No real need to do anything else...but,

1. watch out for clutch...jumping on it hard may cause the clutch to slip?
2. fuel pump...upgrade to ensure you have enough juice?

anything else?...specifically for my 97?

thanks again for insight...I love prime for advice :biggrin:

Mike

1. boost gauge
2. not sure if comptech has belt issues like the basch, but maybe good year Gatorback belt to prevent from slipping

mmmikemo said:

Mike

mmmikemo said:

Mike
i'll add my vote to the new clutch as well. might as well be proactive than have to return to do later.

have fun, it's a nice bump :)

Don't use the K&N filter. Surf our site for more details. Mark Basch or NSXTech, has done more CTSC installs than anyone on the planet. He highly discourages the use of this product.

Rod

Back