• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is this Lexus worth?

At the epicenter of the Zombie Apocalypse
Calling all Lexus experts!

My mother is now 83 years old, has COPD and macular degeneration and will no longer be driving. She has a Champagne/Tan 1998 Lexus ES300 with 45,000 miles on it that looks like it just came off the showroom floor. She is the original owner and the car has always been garaged indoors and all service done by the local Lexus dealer. I went on cars.com and there are a couple of '98 ES300s in the 60k to 70k mile range with asking prices near $11k.

What should I ask for this thing? I don't need it. Besides Charlotte I also have a 2010 Accord Crosstour.

Check out KBB.com

sorry to hear about your grand mother.

i would try the local autotrader and find an avg price for the 98 ES. from there tack on another 10-15% due to the exceptional low milage/condition for your car and see if there are any takers.

the es300 was a sweet car, i recall the refinements they made on the same gen es300 in the late 90s versions compared to the per say a 93/94; the cars were a night and day difference.

Calling all Lexus experts!

My mother is now 83 years old, has COPD and macular degeneration and will no longer be driving. She has a Champagne/Tan 1998 Lexus ES300 with 45,000 miles on it that looks like it just came off the showroom floor. She is the original owner and the car has always been garaged indoors and all service done by the local Lexus dealer. I went on cars.com and there are a couple of '98 ES300s in the 60k to 70k mile range with asking prices near $11k.

What should I ask for this thing? I don't need it. Besides Charlotte I also have a 2010 Accord Crosstour.

Low milage or not, you can only really sell a car like that for the KBB / Edmunds value.

I understand it is in nice condition, but its not a collectors item. They made a million of em, and a good chunk of them are in the same or similar condition to your mothers car, even though the majority are probably much higher milage.

The people shopping for a 98 Luxury car are probably guys like me, out looking for a DD that is nice enough, but not so nice that I'd be afraid for it to get hailed on in the parking lot of the office.

I bought my 04 TL in 08, it had 16k on the clock. I bought from a dealer, and I paid KBB value even though it had a 3rd of the average miles for its age.

Good luck selling. It should be easy to offload in that condition, with those miles if you ask the right price. Saving that hassle alone should be worth something to you.

P

I would go with KBB as well as it will be hard to command a premium for that color combo.

Around here, that car is worth 7-8K.

My parents have a white/tan 99 ES300 with 36k miles, and they offered it to me for $5k. The paint is not in pristine condition, but I figure it could be fixed for $1-2k. I'm not sure it's worth much more $6-7k, given it's just a glorified Camry.

36k should not have any paint issues, was it parked outside or inside?

I believe it was parked outside during the day and garaged at night. The clear coat seems really worn though; I doubt the paint ever saw any wax in the past 10 years.

If the paint is in good condition I'd say min $12k.

Nah, the outside has lots of dings, chips, and scrapes, and the inside needs a complete detail too. I don't know who I got my car care genes from but it wasn't my parents!

Back