• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What not to do as an HPDE student - Video

This video does not involve and NSX but should be used as a "what not to do" training tool for HPDE. Amazingly, the driver who posted the video on youtube originally included the comment "some idiot held me up" until he took flack for that and deleted it. I would not be surprised if he ultimately removes the vid based upon the criticism he is getting but it astounding to watch how his "instructor" lets this guy stay on the track. Check out his hands and, kids, don't try this at home.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWJSZIq7XDA

That guy drove his own lines and in a span of five minutes spun out three times. At some tracks, spinning out three times usually awards you a trip off the racetrack.

Wow, what a mess. I used to have a MK1 MR2 and they are very easy cars to drive, however, they will spin (just like the NSX) if you go in too hot. This guy never found the right line, so at darn near every turn, he was on the verge of losing it. Glad he's on the other side of the pond. :)

That is a great video Bob. Now be honest and tell everyone that it was you, and we'll let you take more pictures with your Brownie at future ALMS events. :wink:

That is a great video Bob. Now be honest and tell everyone that it was you.

Okay, you got me. I have to confess it was me taking the video while Doc Lane was driving the parade laps at Sebring this year. Admittedly, he was a little flustered after arriving to the track late from school on the short bus but at least he was still wearing his helmet from gym class that day.

Oh my God... Where are his hands? He is holding the wheel like he is pulling into a mall. I would have pitted for no other reason that to not be on the same track with that dude... lol...

Hahaha wow, that is unbelievable. Even with only a weekend under my belt, I can see he does just about everything wrong... hand placement, shifting in the turns, hard to tell if he is even braking prior to the corner, terrible lines.

Definitely scary to know those people are out there on a track somewhere, usually I just see them everyday on the Pike on my way to work.

:biggrin:

wrong01.jpg

From an HPDE participant's persepctive, I've never seen an event where any participant spun so often. This includes novices driving in the rain.

From an instructor's perspective:
o why was the instructor not instructing
o why did he not respond to obviously unsafe driving

From a Chief DI's perspective, why do I allow instructors to pair with students who repeatedly show they aren't in control. The CDI should have been all over this.

From an Event Coordinator's perspective, do we not notice when student's go off track multiple times? Where is my CDI? What are my corner workers saying? Where is the event coordinator during this?

Man, what a mess.

Some yahoo students think the instructer is rewards weight:wink: :rolleyes:

Was he trying to make it spin or is he seriously that bad of a driver? What's with shifting mid turn? Amazing...

I seriously hope that is not an instructor in his passenger seat.:eek:
Given the lack of verbal feedback, it is almost certainly NOT an instructor in the passenger seat.

Either an instructor was foolish enough to sign this guy off or, more likely, he's driving in an event which doesn't require instructors or instructor sign-offs before driving solo. (Which is an excellent illustration of why such events should be avoided.)

Dammit, why can't I load the video from youtube? I'm so wanting to see it!

Good points all: first, I definitely tell a student which behaviors they exhibit will get them in trouble. If they continue to do it I wave them to pit lane where we chat.

With Chin Motorsports, a spin means a black flag, go have a chat with the Chief Instructor who usually asks the student (in a nice way, of course) if he/she knew what they did to induce the spin. Often the chief will reinforce by asking the instructor the same question to ensure the instructor is fully engaged. It's not often a student spins more than once in a day.

Safety first.

That guy drove his own lines and in a span of five minutes spun out three times. At some tracks, spinning out three times usually awards you a trip off the racetrack.

At most track events that is exactly what it means....pack your stuff, you are going home.

Finally got to see the video. We'd have a LOT to talk about:
  • Hand position when turning
  • Fast-hands at turn-in point; likely not looking far enough ahead, needs to slow his hands down and move turn-in point back. Looking farther down the track can help this.
  • If not shifting BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL!
  • Line, Line, Line
  • When staring to understeer, UNWIND THE WHEEL a little
  • RECOGNIZE THE RED MIST!!!

Sheesh!

At some tracks, spinning out three times usually awards you a trip off the racetrack.
And aside from the "three spin rule", at some tracks spinning out three times often awards you a trip in the wrecker that flatbeds your crashed car home.

At today's Trackmaster event, a Mustang GT was riding my ass so I gave him the point-by. I checked my rear mirror to see why he didn't pass and what do you know, they bastard spins out in the dirt directly behind:rolleyes: . Never saw him again all afternoon. It's these idiot hotshot drivers that you've gotta watch out for.

And aside from the "three spin rule", at some tracks spinning out three times often awards you a trip in the wrecker that flatbeds your crashed car home.

Hey Ken....speaking of instructing, are you going to be at VIR this Monday and Tuesday?

That guy was shifting mid corner, overtaking mid corner, used 1/2 the width of the track rather than the whole width. Didn't have a line (he wasn't driving his line - he didn't have one) and was far to eager to try to pass people for a guy who was spinning out on average twice per lap.

nightmare. that is the exact reason I only go to HPDEs with qualified instructors and smart drivers. If I see a yahoo like that, I let the organizers know, and if they don't act, I leave.

Moron.

Back