• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What parts should be replaced during a motor out?

Hey primers,

In case you have not heard the word, my ctsc motor blew up. It still has not yet been diagnosed yet but I am planning for the worst. Motor out, forced induction bottom end build, more boost, etc. I have compiled a check list of things to replace when the motor gets pulled out. I have already replaced several maintenance type parts at the time the supercharger was installed exactly two years prior to today. Please add to the list or quote what I should add to the build. Plus, it needs to happen soon before I change my mind and buy an ugly GT-R. :biggrin: Please see the list below. I am open to all recommendations please.

Thank you, AJ

Parts which are on the list:
1) Low compression pistons.
2) Arp head studs.
3) Cometic head gaskets.
4) New timing belt and water pump.
5) Ti Dave's harmonic balancer plate- bought already, collecting dust.
6) New oil pan gasket and welded oil pan baffle.
7) New fuel pump.
8) New injectors.
9) New exhaust manifold gaskets and studs.
10) New clutch/exedy twin organic with throw out bearings.
11) DA intercooler with heat exchanger.
12) New lost motion assemblies.
13) Upgraded rear beam bushings.
14) Aem fic. May go full stand alone but it is very hard to do in the Bay Area due to smoggyness.Please don't turn this into a engine management thread....
15) Ten psi ctsc pulley.

Things already done/replaced at ctsc install two years ago:
1) New valve cover gaskets and valve adjustment.
2) New fuel filter.
3) New ignition control relay.
4) New main relay.
5) New starter.
6) New spool valve gaskets.
7) Complete cleaning of top end of motor including throttle body. Thanks K&N.....
8) Inspection of timing belt. Clean bill of health.
9) Gator back serpentine belt.

Get a full stand alone and have a "smog" map. If your starters ok, I won't change it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Get a full stand alone and have a "smog" map. If your starters ok, I won't change it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I have heard of this smog map before but I cannot find any info about it. I talked to Shad about it and he said that unless I have a tuner right there on the smog Dyno, it "may"not pass. Can anyone shed some light on this? I would love to go full stand alone as I want to incorporate the gauge art into the system. But, I do not have time to hassle my tuner to get it right at smog time, which is due again in October.

Also, I would love to drop my car off at sos to do the work. Does anyone know about the costs of transport for 780 miles to sos? Thanks.

Hey primers,

In case you have not heard the word, my ctsc motor blew up. It still has not yet been diagnosed yet but I am planning for the worst. Motor out, forced induction bottom end build, more boost, etc. I have compiled a check list of things to replace when the motor gets pulled out. I have already replaced several maintenance type parts at the time the supercharger was installed exactly two years prior to today. Please add to the list or quote what I should add to the build. Plus, it needs to happen soon before I change my mind and buy an ugly GT-R. :biggrin: Please see the list below. I am open to all recommendations please.

Thank you, AJ

Parts which are on the list:
1) Low compression pistons.
2) Arp head studs.
3) Cometic head gaskets.
4) New timing belt and water pump.
5) Ti Dave's harmonic balancer plate- bought already, collecting dust.
6) New oil pan gasket and welded oil pan baffle.
7) New fuel pump.
8) New injectors.
9) New exhaust manifold gaskets and studs.
10) New clutch/exedy twin organic with throw out bearings.
11) DA intercooler with heat exchanger.
12) New lost motion assemblies.
13) Upgraded rear beam bushings.
14) Aem fic. May go full stand alone but it is very hard to do in the Bay Area due to smoggyness.Please don't turn this into a engine management thread....
15) Ten psi ctsc pulley.

Things already done/replaced at ctsc install two years ago:
1) New valve cover gaskets and valve adjustment.
2) New fuel filter.
3) New ignition control relay.
4) New main relay.
5) New starter.
6) New spool valve gaskets.
7) Complete cleaning of top end of motor including throttle body. Thanks K&N.....
8) Inspection of timing belt. Clean bill of health.
9) Gator back serpentine belt.

Coolant Hose Kit
Billet Cam Plugs (SoS)
Billet Oil Pump Gearset (SoS)
New Timing Belt Tensioner
Thermostat

Does anyone know about the costs of transport for 780 miles to sos? Thanks.

For an enclosed carrier it is approximately $1.00 per mile. Since your car is not running I imagine there would be a surcharge as the carrier's trailer will need a winch to load your car. I used Plycar Group to ship mine from Indiana to Oregon. They did a great job - not a scratch. Reliable is another good choice. Timing is something to keep in mind. They like to run with a full load so depending on how long it takes to fill the truck you could be looking at a couple of weeks between scheduling and pickup.

Coolant Hose Kit
Billet Cam Plugs (SoS)
Billet Oil Pump Gearset (SoS)
New Timing Belt Tensioner
Thermostat
as mentioned all hoses, but you could say anything that has rubber in it (O-rings etc) so you know that everything was new at time of build its what I did

Yes, I almost forgot the most crucial! Coolant hoses! Plus the billet oil gear set.

Did someone mention you also need a Big Bank Account? ��

Billet oil gear (Toda Racing is the best) was my one add since you covered so much already. Nice work AJ.

Also have your shop check the cam journals. Some motors go bad here for some odd reason.

Back