• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What to do with wrecked NSX

So I need to do something with my wrecked NSX, we have determined its not worth fixing as the frame is pretty bent up are the front right suspension mounting points. Its a black/black 92 5-speed, with 100k miles located in upstate SC. I figure my options are, sell as it, part it out, find a cheap automatic and convert it with my parts(newish clutch and rebuilt 5sp), or find a cheap unwrecked car with bad engine and swap in my good engine. Just looking for suggestions, if I sell it outright I was thinking of asking around 10k. Pretty much everything is fine past the A-pillars, minus the blown airbags. Does that seem low, high? Any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 288
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 272
How much time do you have? Parting requires removing and shipping parts out to people. If you don't want to spend a lot of time doing that, selling as is would be the best option. I assume you bought it back from the insurance company?

my wife pumped out a baby girl today.

Im a little slow today LOL

any other pics that looks bad but not that bad.

I can fix it. PM me with better pics.

or macninja may want it.

pm him to.

its sad to see a hurt NSX

no NSX is a lost cause in my book. if you want to ship it down and I work on it as a side project I would. may take some time but I can have it back
in order instead of throwing in the towel LOL

Talk to Macninja77, he dismantles/guts, rips, cuts, hacks,joins, & brings back to life NSXes that were Considered Dead.

Last edited:
I would sell the more expensive parts such as engine and transmission maybe the doors if those are good and anything up front that is salvageable like the HVAC and the sell the rest of the car to someone who likes to buy these totaled nsx's because then they can use the rear shell,trunk, and quarters to fix up one that was rear ended. Then of course whoever chops the back end off can recycle the rest for scrap aluminum.

yeah my 2002 parts car is waiting to be cut up for alum scrap, but I still like looking at her empty shell so I may hold on to it for awhile

serious Pm me or Macninja

your asking price is about what we would pay for it.

well atleast you can click over to the salvage WIKI section and add your VIN

hope everyone is OK from the crash since I was the only one to ask.

Last edited:
Sadly I only had liability on it when this happen so no insurance, I acquired the car for a really good deal and was trying to save some money until it turned 20 and then I was gonna look into collectors insurance. I feel very confident about my driving abilities, I was stupid to let anyone else drive it. I appreciate the offers to fix it and as much as I would like to it just doesn't seem worth the money to have a repaired NSX, even if the guy driving covered all the repairs the car won't have the same value having been repaired. I mean from what I understand the only way for the front to be back to OEM stiffness would be to tubeframe it. If you guys think it could be fixed for around 8k or less I might think about it, but otherwise I'm just trying to get my money back and look for another.

shawn: Everyone was fine, there really wasn't a hard impact, it jumped a few curbs and I think that did most of the front right frame damage. Congrats on the new baby girl!

Sadly I only had liability on it when this happen so no insurance, I acquired the car for a really good deal and was trying to save some money until it turned 20 and then I was gonna look into collectors insurance. I feel very confident about my driving abilities, I was stupid to let anyone else drive it.

You don't have to wait for the NSX to reach a certain age to qualify for collector car insurance. There are companies that will issue collector car policies for it.

Man, I would be pissed if someone else wrecked my car. :mad: How the hell did that happen? :eek:

Those pics made me sad for the whole day. :frown:

Sadly I only had liability on it when this happen so no insurance, I acquired the car for a really good deal and was trying to save some money until it turned 20 and then I was gonna look into collectors insurance. I feel very confident about my driving abilities, I was stupid to let anyone else drive it. I appreciate the offers to fix it and as much as I would like to it just doesn't seem worth the money to have a repaired NSX, even if the guy driving covered all the repairs the car won't have the same value having been repaired. I mean from what I understand the only way for the front to be back to OEM stiffness would be to tubeframe it. If you guys think it could be fixed for around 8k or less I might think about it, but otherwise I'm just trying to get my money back and look for another.

shawn: Everyone was fine, there really wasn't a hard impact, it jumped a few curbs and I think that did most of the front right frame damage. Congrats on the new baby girl!

Dude...Shawn has all but outright offered to pay what you want for the car. PM him and get a deal done while the offer is on the table.

Plus, do not take this the wrong way, but I would hold off on looking for another one. If you could not afford to insure this one properly in the first place, buying another and having the same issue may be a bad idea.

Dude...Shawn has all but outright offered to pay what you want for the car. PM him and get a deal done while the offer is on the table.

Plus, do not take this the wrong way, but I would hold off on looking for another one. If you could not afford to insure this one properly in the first place, buying another and having the same issue may be a bad idea.

X2

Shawn has brought back far worse. Get with him and work out a deal. He can buy it off your hands, rebuild it and sell it if you don't want it back.

Congrats on the baby Shawn!

my wife pumped out a baby girl today.

Im a little slow today LOL

any other pics that looks bad but not that bad.

I can fix it. PM me with better pics.

or macninja may want it.

pm him to.

its sad to see a hurt NSX

no NSX is a lost cause in my book. if you want to ship it down and I work on it as a side project I would. may take some time but I can have it back
in order instead of throwing in the towel LOL

Not trying to hijack this thread, but congratulations to the Mrs. and Yourself for the New Baby Girl.

91 Red/Black NSX
09 VW Jetta TDI

Those pics made me sad for the whole day. :frown:
You don't even know. I still don't know if I'm over it. I have acquired a 2010 TSX 6sp that kinda makes me happy, but it is no NSX.

I never said I couldn't afford it. I found this car for a great deal, I knew the risk I was taking. I have no claims on my insurance so its super cheap, I should be able to recoup enough that I feel in the long run i will come out better than making a claim like that. Besides the car is a theft recovery, and while the SC title I have makes not mention of it or salvage, I have heard this can cause an issue for insurance. Finding one for the same deal is going to be the real challenge.

That being said I didn't really mention the theft recovery before as I just saw the car as parts. Now you guys make me think this car is worth buying to fix. It was sold to me as having a salvage title, but like I said my SC title says nothing about it, but carfax does show a theft recovery. The car seems fine, ignition and door lock had to be replaced so the keys didn't match up. I did however just buy a full matching key and lock set for it. I didn't let the theft recovery bother me cause the car was so straight, it had obviously never been hit, until I left it out of my hands :/. The theft happened a few owners back but the last owner only drove it 10k or so, but did the TB WP service along with a rebuilt tranny said to be from SofS(it shifted like sex so I didn't argue), a new clutch, new subframe with bushings and tein springs with koni yellows in the front(probably no good now) and new OEM shocks in the rear. Don't know why the mismatch, but it handled great.

Thirded. Him and the Mac Ninja are truly doing the lord's work putting these beautiful cars back on the road... we just have to keep their supply chain saturated :biggrin:

Not trying to hijack this thread, but congratulations to the Mrs. and Yourself for the New Baby Girl.

91 Red/Black NSX
09 VW Jetta TDI

DITTO! DITTO! DITTO!

Congrats to you both and best to the newest loved-one! :smile:

LOL my daughter is already getting used LOL no men for her LOL

anyway I got your PM

send me more pics to my personal email or text me the pics.

we can maybe work something out

...I never said I couldn't afford it. I found this car for a great deal, I knew the risk I was taking. I have no claims on my insurance so its super cheap, I should be able to recoup enough that I feel in the long run i will come out better than making a claim like that..

I figured when you wrote this that it meant insurance was too costly for your budget:

'Sadly I only had liability on it when this happen so no insurance, I acquired the car for a really good deal and was trying to save some money until it turned 20 and then I was gonna look into collectors insurance.'

Otherwise I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would risk losing an entire NSX over a couple of hundred bucks a year in auto insurance.

Did the driver own his own car? His insurance would cover the loss.
Sadly not in ol SC, insurance follows the car not the driver. From what I understand it maybe could have been covered had the other driver carried full coverage on any of his vehicles, but he didn't so there was nothing that could be done.

I figured when you wrote this that it meant insurance was too costly for your budget:

'Sadly I only had liability on it when this happen so no insurance, I acquired the car for a really good deal and was trying to save some money until it turned 20 and then I was gonna look into collectors insurance.'

Otherwise I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would risk losing an entire NSX over a couple of hundred bucks a year in auto insurance.
A couple hundred bucks a year over several years depending on what I might be insuring in the future can really add up. Even if I had insurance I would have still lost this NSX in a way, I really didn't want a car with any kinda frame hit. I probably would not have keep it regardless. Life is full of risks, I knew the risk I was taking and honestly in hindsight I am much more pissed I let someone else behind the wheel than insuring it more. Like I said, between selling whats left and collecting from the driver, I should pretty much break even, and still don't have any claims on my record. I would especially hate having a giant claim on my record due to someone else.

I just want to say that filing an auto insurance claim isn't a death sentence to your insurability. It's what you are paying your insurance premiums for, to recoup your investment rather than making the insurance companies fat. People file claims all the time and continue driving their cars without going broke or becoming uninsured.

Anyway, what's done is done, I guess a couple of takeaways are:

-never let someone drive your NSX, especially if you're underinsured.
-insurance is meant to be used if you need it, don't try to preserve it like your credit rating.

Back