• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What year to get '94 or '95

I got a problem.. I was wondering what your guys thoughts on getting a '94 NSX or a '95 NST? I like the lighter weight '94 and the rims Yet the '95 has more powerfull engine..

what to do..

Is the '95 you are looking at modified? Stock for stock they are not any more powerful than '94. They went to the 3.2L in '97.

Because you're in CA, you're very likely to really enjoy having the T-top off every chance you get. It adds another wonderful dimension to driving the car. In fact, I haven't driven my car without the T-top off since I purchased it, and it sits parked at home with the top off at all times. Even if it's "cold" outside, the heater keeps you warm at high speeds. My wife pointed out that with the top off and the windows up, there's very good ventilation, but not the "blow your head off" wind that you get in a true convertible. The car is so aerodynamic that very little wind enters the cabin. It's really amazing and ideal. Of course I never drive it when it's raining, so I never need the the top on, unless it's car wash time. After the car wash, it comes right out. I suggest the 95, if you want the additional dimension.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

HapaHaole,
In all fairness, I will present the relative strengths of the '94 for your consideration. For the record, and to disclose any potential bias, <grin> I own a Brooklands green '94. The strengths of the '94 lie in the integrity of it's chassis and the steering setup. 1995 was the first year for the "T" and hence the first year Honda worked on compensating for the loss in structural integrity for chopping the roofline. Granted, the open air "looks" great...but there is a tangible tradeoff in terms of performance. The '95 is a heavier car and does not have the same crisp and precise feel in the corners as a true coupe does. Also, the steering of the '94 has no power assist and provides incredibly detailed input to the driver. You will work a little harder in low speed parking manuevers but it's well worth it. Beyond this, you can look at the average selling price of a '95T Vs a '94 and bank the difference at time of purchase or invest in some performance mods for your '94 coupe. On average, this will be enough to put I/H/E on your car which will greatly enhance the driving experience. This additional performance more than compensates for the "open air" experience of the T. This said, it's only one man's opinion and whichever year you decide to go with you'll own a wonderful automobile which will give you many years of dutiful performance and miles of smiles! Best of luck in your search.

You know.. that is one side of my brain also saying what you are.. P e r f o r m a n c e.

I am really deciding which one for me.. the only problem is that I am 6'2" and the T is better off for me to drive.. like the viper. I can only get the T top Viper since I cant fit in the Coupe models.

Yet I will drive both the T and the Coupe.. In N.cali so far all I have been able to test drive is the T.. so anyone know where in N.cali they have a Coupe for sale so I can test drive it??

Just to re-affirm what TampaBay said... The 95-96 leaves alot to be deisired in the way of performance. He is right that the pre-95 cars and the special order 97+ coupes are the best in performance.... More advice would be to spend more money on a 97+ 'T' if you decide that you really want the open roof. The 95-96 cars were considered by some to be a bit of a 'dropping of the ball' of Honda. They are too heavy w/o the 3.2 pushing them, the top has been known to rattle and are the worst handling NSX's among other things.... By the way, any NSX is still fantastic and beats the daylights out of any other.... Good luck

------------------
Pls. visit my site w/ lots of info and pics. Brand new classifieds and Message board. It may take a bit to download but it's worth it, I hope @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

My understanding is that the 95 and 96 NSX's were not too heavy compared with previous years. In reality, the removal of the roof (95 and 96)decreased the body's rigidity, which compromised its handling. Acura compensated for this in 97 by adding structural elements that increased rigidity, but also added weight. The increase in HP in 97 was done to compensate for the increased weight. So, it's the 97 and later cars that are significantly heavier than the 96 and earlier cars. If you wnat a light weight T-top, you need to buy the 95 or 96.

------------------
NSXY

HapaHoule,
FYI, I'm also 6'2" tall and about 220lbs. I have no problems with head or leg room while sitting in the car. Getting in and out is a bit tight legwise but that wouldn't be any better with a "T" model. Once in the car I have plenty of room and feel very comfortable. I'm also able to wear a helmet for track events so you know the headroom issue isn't even close.

what do you guys this of this one.

'94 NSX Coupe Brooklands Green Pearl / Black int

16.7K miles Original, MINT condition all options inc cd changer and keyless entry.

$47.6K?

anyone?

That 94 seems like a fait deal to me. In April I paid $54K for a mint 95 w/ 4,100 miles. If you buy it, then later want to sell it, the Brooklands Green might be a little hard to move. Frankly, I think you should buy what most pleases you. Best luck.

------------------
NSXY

That 94 seems like a fair deal to me. In April I paid $54K for a mint 95 w/ 4,100 miles. If you buy it, then later want to sell it, the Brooklands Green might be a little hard to move. Frankly, I think you should buy what most pleases you. Does it have a green top, or black? Best luck.

------------------
NSXY

It has a Green Top. He emailed me some pictures of the car. Yet I am still kind of worried about the color. Is it that hard to sell? I mean I was told the green is a beautiful color in person.. anyone know have see the color???

NSXY,

Funny that you mention the open T experience... only had a couple of opportunities so far to take the T off my Y2K and while it's great fun for city driving I found the wind turbulence even at moderate highway speeds just insane, regardless of windows up or down.

Got a neck cramp from tilting my head sideways until I could get off the x-way (maybe being an inch or two shorter would make a difference). How tall are you? And have you ever used the screws (plugs?) that the manual refers to?

That, plus the fact that there seem to be a couple of millimiters of extra headroom on the coupe almost make me wish I had a coupe instead.

But then again maybe I'll change my mind once the heat & rain let up in S. Florida and I can take it off more often.

Originally posted by NSXY:
My understanding is that the 95 and 96 NSX's were not too heavy compared with previous years.

The '95 and '96 cars are the heaviest.

Originally posted by HapaHaole:
It has a Green Top. He emailed me some pictures of the car. Yet I am still kind of worried about the color. Is it that hard to sell? I mean I was told the green is a beautiful color in person.. anyone know have see the color???

Hey hapa:

I own a 95 green NSX-T and have to admit I was a little concerned on my way to view the car for the first time...green just ain't my colour....my last 7 cars were 6 black ones of various makes and 1 silver 91' NSX. The silver was incredibly beautiful..so I figured it was going to be a wasted trip ...but very low milage and T-Top made me go anyways.
Well, I can tell u now that the green is just gorgeous...I need never have been concerned. Most of my friends prefer it to the Silver one!!!(but to be honest,silver is still my favorite colour).

1 more thing also, and I hope not to get overly flamed by coupe owners. I have to tell u that I find the 95 NSX-T a much better handler than my 91'...in all driving situations. Maybe its not a fair comparision to a 94 coupe( which had numerous minor tweaks to its handling compared to 91),and I don't track my car ( where the upper limits of handling are more apparent)but it handles circles around my old 91' in the same driving situations (and obviously with the same driver).
There is ,of course seperate from the debate of performance, also the open top experience to take into account..its pretty awesome..and I live in Canada!!You're from Cali..I bet you'll enjoy it more than I ever could.

Best advice tho is to drive them both and decide for yourself...after all, our opinions are just that ...our opinions. You have to be the one satisfied,and no matter what you decide, one things for certain...You'll have 1 heck of a car eitherway!

Enjoy

Goldy

Back