• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What you've all been waiting for.. Perfecting a Forumla Red NSX

This was a long one.. spent a little over 30 hours on the car, including wetsanding. I cleaned/conditioned as much of the vehicle as possible, trying to restore it to better than new condition. The car used to be well taken care of, but when the owner moved to downtown SF, he wasn't able to wash it on his own, so it frequented the "down the sreet" washes :eek:

Upon inspection of the car 3 stories below the ground, it was in really good shape. Exterior barely having any fallout, looking decent (considering the rains we've had lately). The interior was immaculate minus the dirt on the floor mats. After taking the car home, and storing it for the night I was ready bright and early on Tuesday. I woke up to pouring rain. Even though I could have washed the car inside.. I wanted to do as much of a thorough degreasing as possible, so it was all done outside.. in the rain. Even with snowboard pants, and a rain coat, I was still soaked! At least it wasn't snow, huh? ;). Sorry I look a little ridiculous.. I was more concerned about staying dry!

First things first was a thorough pressure rinse on the outside:

DSC01652.jpg

After this I turned my attention to the wheels. Per standard procedure the tires were soaked in P21S TAW, and the wheels received P21S Wheel Gel.

DSC01653.jpg

And then agitated with various brushes:

DSC01654.jpg

After the wheels were finished, I moved on to the initial foaming of the car. Because the car wasn't super soiled (for a change) I foamed it with Chemical Guys' Citrus Wash and Clear, and then washed with the 2BM and Citrus Wash and Gloss.

DSC01655.jpg

DSC01656.jpg

(my baby in the very background getting DRENCHED :( ).

DSC01657.jpg

And then the car was pressure rinsed one more time before being brought inside where I blew it dry. Yes, INSIDE! It was raining so hard.. it wasn't even worth trying to dry, let alone blow dry outside. So I did it in the garage with very good results.. just a little bit of water ;).

After it was dried. I continued on with decontamination. The car was clayed with CG Blue Mild clay, and Luber as clay lube:

DSC01659.jpg

..And the wheels:

DSC01660.jpg

....Annnd the Door Jambs:

DSC01662.jpg

And the deck lid/hood and jambs:

DSC01663.jpg

After this I turned my attention to the spare tire. It was rinsed, then cleaned with P21S TAW and Wheel gel + Swissvax Wheel Brush/Megs Slidelock Brush:

DSC01664.jpg

DSC01666.jpg

DSC01667.jpg

DSC01668.jpg

DSC01669.jpg

DSC01670.jpg

My attention was then turned to was was UNDER the spare tire. The area where the engine compartment usually is.

DSC01672.jpg

DSC01675.jpg

DSC01676.jpg

Certain soiled areas were carefully saturated in P21S TAW and let sit before agitating away and wiping clean.

DSC01679.jpg

DSC01681.jpg

DSC01682.jpg

I then turned my attention to what was under the boot lid.. AN ENGINE! Everything was thoroughly degreased with P21S TAW, SW Wheel Brush, Q-Tips, and a lot of elbow grease. Then wiped clean.

DSC01684.jpg

DSC01686.jpg

DSC01689.jpg

DSC01690.jpg

DSC01691.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

DSC01696.jpg

DSC01697.jpg

Towards the end of day one a big scratch was found, and I decided to relevel it to make it less apparent.

DSC01698.jpg

DSC01699.jpg

So it began..

DSC01701.jpg

DSC01702.jpg

Then I called it a night.. to sleep on when I just did :thud:. The next two and a half days (20 hours total) was spent on the paint correction. Here's a slew of befores:

DSC01703.jpg

DSC01704.jpg

DSC01706.jpg

DSC01707.jpg

DSC01714.jpg

Then the sun decided to show for some 50/50s! These shots show the test panel which was corrected with the KB Method of Foam compounding: m105+cutting pad w/ primed pad @1200rpm, then finished with m205+finishing pad with pad primed at 1200-800rpm. As you can see.. slight hologramming still shows and it was brought back in for more testing of polish/pad combos after I saw this.

DSC01715.jpg

DSC01716.jpg

DSC01717.jpg

DSC01719.jpg

After seeing this the car was brought back in, and I settled on this combo. 3M UK Green+SIP @ 1200-1800-1500, then 3M Yellow+106fa @ 1200-1600-1400, and lastly 3M UK Blue+Ultrafina @ 1200-1500-1200-900. Overall the results were about 95%. There were some deep RIDS that the owner and I decided I wouldn't chase because of the notorious thin Honda clear, and also we still want to be able to finish polish the car if need be down the road. I especially enjoyed the Formula Red tint on my pads from the Tri-Clear paint on the Formula Red hondas!! These were the results:

DSC01725.jpg

DSC01727.jpg

All of the black trim got the same attention, taking special care with extra taping as to not catch any edges..

DSC01732.jpg

DSC01733.jpg

DSC01738.jpg

DSC01746.jpg

Results:

DSC01740.jpg

DSC01741.jpg

DSC01743.jpg

Moved up to the roof..

DSC01747.jpg

DSC01749.jpg

DSC01750.jpg

DSC01754.jpg

DSC01758.jpg

(those scratches in this pic are these:
DSC01700.jpg
)

I then opened the garage door and got a few quick sun pics:

DSC01759.jpg

DSC01761.jpg

While making my way around the car I took the time to polish out the tail lights with 2x SIP+Green and 1x UF+Blue:

DSC01763.jpg

DSC01764.jpg

DSC01768.jpg

The I continued with the rear bumper with said process in the beginning..

DSC01771.jpg

The importance of taping. The $5 roll of tape is a $1000+ insurance. This would have meant a new bumper+repaint if the tape wasn't there..

DSC01776.jpg

B-pillar before:

DSC01777.jpg

After:

DSC01778.jpg

DSC01782.jpg

Fender corrected, door not:

DSC01783.jpg

DSC01785.jpg

The importance of taping!

DSC01789.jpg

Under the wing:

DSC01790.jpg

Going after it with a Orange CCS Foam Finger Pad+M105:

DSC01791.jpg

And where the "diffuser" is:

DSC01793.jpg

ZAIO+White CCS Foam Finger pad in the door jambs:

DSC01796.jpg

And under the hood:

DSC01797.jpg

After these minor details were finished I was done!! Brought it outside to give it a thorough pressure rinse that was filtered with DI water to get rid of all the polishing dust:

DSC01798.jpg

Before any LSP:

DSC01799.jpg

DSC01801.jpg

DSC01802.jpg

DSC01806.jpg

DSC01808.jpg

After all the rinsing. It was brought in for a "two stage" lsp. The first of which was Danase Wet Glaze applied with a dampened Blackfire Gold CCS Pad:

DSC01809.jpg

My back that is in as good a condition as a 60 year-old (threw it out years ago, and it's never been the same since, and polishing for 8 hours straight), was aching so I took a rest from bending over/lsp application and paid attention to the wheels. For thise, I removed as much oxidation from the cleared lips as possible with Mothers Mag&Aluminum polish. Then I polished them with Werkstat Prime Strong, Acrylic Jett, and the Acrylic Glos.

DSC01810.jpg

DSC01811.jpg

Before:

DSC01815.jpg

DSC01816.jpg

After:

DSC01828.jpg

Then I turned to the interior. I just wiped down the leather part of the dash, and applied Leather Masters Protection cream. All of the vynil got 303 Protecant. The seats were treated with Leather Masters Trio. I'm horrible with interior before/afters so there aren't any. But I did take pictures of the floor mats! They were vacuumed with metro vac'n'blow and then cleaned with CG Citrus Carpet Cleaner and SW Leather Brush.

Before

DSC01818.jpg

After:

DSC01819.jpg

Before:

DSC01820.jpg

After:

DSC01821.jpg

(excuse the lack of prison stripes on the other mat, they were added after this pic).

Then I moved on to the LSP. It received Swissvax Concorso:

DSC01824.jpg

(pic taken after it was applied/removed).

"Detailers Best Insurance":

DSC01825.jpg

And the afters. Sorry for the lack of pictures, I didn't finish until late last night, and when I delivered it today, we were in the middle of the street :p. So no afters of the engine bay/hood area which I spend 6 hours total on :shead: . And none of the interior area.

But I *DID* get the most important parts.. the body of the car!

DSC01827.jpg

DSC01829.jpg

DSC01830.jpg

DSC01831.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

DSC01833.jpg

DSC01834.jpg

DSC01835.jpg

DSC01836.jpg

(the owner and my gf in the background).

Done!!

C/C Always Welcome! :cool:

Well done but I nearly got a heart-attack when I saw the pic with the high pressure water hose removing the polishing dust. That's very dangerous for the paint. :eek:

Awesome work!! After seeing a few detailing threads... I think mine needs a good detail.

Definitely! There's a few very good people in the LA area!

Well done but I nearly got a heart-attack when I saw the pic with the high pressure water hose removing the polishing dust. That's very dangerous for the paint. :eek:

The pressure is actually only 1800psi. Hardly enough to damage paint. Even in rock chips/etc it won't remove paint (unless it's already flaking away). Also I'm not using the "correct" pressure washer tip to cut through concrete ;). Thanks for the compliments though!

Some of you have asked...yeah, that's my car!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It looks even better in person. Aaron is a great guy to work with and as you can see he does fantastic work. I couldn't be more pleased. We've also set up a maintenance program to keep it looking the way it is.:tongue:

Happy motoring...

Doug

Wow, Doug. The car looks great. Congrats! I'm always amazed by the detailer threads.

And the owners seem to always say that they didn't think their car was that bad beforehand but now the difference is night and day.

Congrats again!

Wow, Doug. The car looks great. Congrats! I'm always amazed by the detailer threads.

And the owners seem to always say that they didn't think their car was that bad beforehand but now the difference is night and day.

Congrats again!

I was just thinking how the car looked pretty clean to begin with. Good job Aaron!

Congrats to both Doug and Aaron... the car looks incredible!

Aaron, you've almost got me convinced to drive up to SF to let you work your magic on my swirly paint! The before and after pics are awesome :biggrin:

Aaron, you've almost got me convinced to drive up to SF to let you work your magic on my swirly paint! The before and after pics are awesome :biggrin:

I would really give that some serious thought. Plus, you would have an awesome drive home.

It's funny but I really don't get too many people looking at the car when driving around San Francisco (Well, it's San Francisco, what do you expect?) But I drove the car for a short distance today and yesterday, and I got a lot of looks and even a few guys pointing at it. Funny.:biggrin:

Nice work. Car looks great........

Thanks!

Congrats again!

It's one of those things you just have to "experience" to know how it feels :p.

I was just thinking how the car looked pretty clean to begin with. Good job Aaron!

Thank you! It's all in the "details"!

Congrats to both Doug and Aaron... the car looks incredible!

We can arrange that! I could even give you a "doner" car of the NSXs little brother to play around with for the weekend!

I would really give that some serious thought. Plus, you would have an awesome drive home.

It's funny but I really don't get too many people looking at the car when driving around San Francisco (Well, it's San Francisco, what do you expect?) But I drove the car for a short distance today and yesterday, and I got a lot of looks and even a few guys pointing at it. Funny.:biggrin:

I think their eyes were blinded by the shine, Doug :cool::biggrin:. Glad you're out enjoying the beautiful weather in a beautiful car!!

Did you by chance have a really beautiful woman in the car with you at the time? :smile:

Hrmm. If i do get my silver nsx, im going to think about having you detail my car like that. :wink:

Probably had his blinker on the whole time...............:tongue:

As always, you're a butt head. Now that my car is all cleaned up, get me a sicker like yours for my windshield. As I told you, it's so cool.

For those of you that don't know, Roger thinks I am older than dirt and would drive around the world with my blinker on. He is also the world's biggest butt head. At the next Bay Area meet, I'll park my car next to his.:tongue: Well that plus his posts makes me laugh my butt off.:biggrin:

Wow....that is just awesome! I wish I had someone aound here to hook my car up like that! I know it needs it badly!!! :redface:

As always, you're a butt head. Now that my car is all cleaned up, get me a sicker like yours for my windshield. As I told you, it's so cool.

For those of you that don't know, Roger thinks I am older than dirt and would drive around the world with my blinker on. He is also the world's biggest butt head. At the next Bay Area meet, I'll park my car next to his.:tongue: Well that plus his posts makes me laugh my butt off.:biggrin:

Are you sure? I heard the next meet was at 6pm. You'll be in bed by then won't you? :tongue:

Oh great. Just woke up from my afternoon nap, checked Prime and see that Craig and Roger are again attempting elder abuse.:tongue::tongue:

This thread made me lol about teasing dtrigg.

D00t great turn around, it's funny how some guys think their car is already clean but when they get a true detail they never even thought their car could look like that!

I got an NSX detail coming up also which I believe will only be polishing the exterior but hopefully I can produce a great up also, plus I got a black nsx write up in my hard drive some where(new computer:redface:).

I remember last year on autopia when you were just getting your logo done and it's great to see you coming along nicely:smile:.

Last edited:
Sorry, just one more.

What part of "No Parking" don't you understand Doug?

DSC01836.jpg

came out great!

what caused the pitting in the clear?

Thanks!! I'm not too sure to be honest. I was wondering the same thing myself. I guess 59k of driving? :confused:

This thread made me lol about teasing dtrigg.

D00t great turn around, it's funny how some guys think their car is already clean but when they get a true detail they never even thought their car could look like that!

I got an NSX detail coming up also which I believe will only be polishing the exterior but hopefully I can produce a great up also, plus I got a black nsx write up in my hard drive some where(new computer:redface:).

I remember last year on autopia when you were just getting your logo done and it's great to see you coming along nicely:smile:.

Thanks Wes! Yeah, things are coming along nicely, a little bump in the road now (no recent appts.) but other than that, things are really looking up and forward!

Sorry, just one more.

What part of "No Parking" don't you understand Doug?

FWIW, I had the hazards on :tongue:. We were in "distress" of such a glossy vehicle!

Is there NO justice.:confused:

I'm thinking not, Doug. :frown:

The pitting seen in the clear is acid rain damage, most older vehicles have some form of acid rain damage pitting the clear coat.

Nice work Aaron!

Back