• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What you've all been waiting for.. Perfecting a Forumla Red NSX

came out great!

what caused the pitting in the clear?

If I'm not mistaken I believe that pitting is called "outgassing", it happens after the painting process when the solvents and such are escaping from the paint and those tiny little micro bubbles come to the surface and pop releasing the gases from within.

The pitting seen in the clear is acid rain damage, most older vehicles have some form of acid rain damage pitting the clear coat.

Nice work Aaron!

Sorry but that is just not true, acid rain etching leaves a round ring not a tiny little dot.

Thanks Dave! So can it be safely removed? (now that i know what it is). I would think not, right? Because it's been there so long?

If it were acid rain, yes it could be removed... sometimes by polishing, but if it's too deep then it can be removed by releveling the surface by wetsanding.

i doubt it, it seems pretty deep. you always can have the car re-cleared if the base is still looking decent.
had no idea acid rain does that- i know from experience that bird crap will ruin the clear but thats way more caustic than rain.

Acid rain does not do create this condition, outgassing does but even if your have the car resprayed there's a good chance you can end up with the same situation.

No you cannot remove pitted clear, or pits in single stage paint for that matter. Its there for good:redface:

I'm not sure if it's possible to remove pitting or not but on many of the cars I've polished and even wetsanded it did not seem to correct the pitting.

I really don't think it's from acid rain. Reason being the car has only see rain twice. It's always been garaged and not driven in the rain.

Actually you can't see "pitting" with the naked eye. Those photos were taken under Aaron's detainling lights.

Doug

True, only in direct sunlight can you see pitting but even then it's very hard as the sunlight is extremely bright. With 500W-1000W halogens it's much easier to see the defects in paint especially at night with all the lights off in the garage.

Hope this helps to clear up things a little.
Josh

Thanks for the insight Josh.:biggrin:

Doug

Thanks for the clarification Josh! I didn't think it was acid rain either.. but Dave had an answer, and I didn't :tongue:. but again, thanks for the clear up!

Someone needs to volunteer a neglected black car with lots of swirls. I'd love to see that write up as well.

I can do that if you want to come to St. Louis :rolleyes: Really not so much neglected, just needs a real kick ass detail job like this. I have had it 5+ years, and only have done wash & waxes. TONS of swirls and some scratches and cobwebbing. I would be sweating like a whore in church if I wet sanded, claybared, buffer machined it. Yet I have not fear to tear a house down to nothing and rebuild it. We all have our specialties.

Last edited:
Back