• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's an airbag worth???

My steering wheel from my 91 is showing considerable wear and cracking. Looking to replace it with a "like new" used one. This might be a silly question but is my airbag from my 91 worth anything should I find a newer steering wheel with an air bag?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Chris

There is one on ebay now that looks very nice and the current bid is $336 check it out in Acura Parts.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Originally posted by Chief:
My steering wheel from my 91 is showing considerable wear and cracking. Looking to replace it with a "like new" used one. This might be a silly question but is my airbag from my 91 worth anything should I find a newer steering wheel with an air bag?

I doubt it. I know that dealerships intentionally ignite air bags (outside of the car AND the dealership building) when they need to replace them. And most shippers will not knowingly ship air bags (they are considered hazardous cargo, for obvious reasons).

A sticker inside my glove box warns to have the air bag ( supplemental restraint system )
checked by a qualified technician after ten years. The way it's worded leads me to believe they recommend replacement. Is anyone doing this on their '91 & '92 cars?

NSXLNT,

I didn't see the sticker in my glove box - could you post the text of it here? Or is it in the FAQ already?
smile.gif
I was worried about getting an aftermarket steering wheel and losing the airbag, but if it might be gone anyway...

Airbag Information
Supplemental restraint System

* The Supplemental Restraint System must be inspected ten years after it is installed. The date of installation is shown on the certificate plate located on the Driver's side door jamb.

* Diagnostic checks and replacement of Supplemental Restraint System Components must be done by an authorized dealer.

* See your owner's manual for additional Supplemental Restraint System information.

page 212 of my manual states: "The SRS needs no regular maintenence other than inspection by your Acura dealer ten years after manufacture." so I guess they don't necessarily need to be replaced.
Has anyone bothered to have theirs undergo this inspection?

Originally posted by NSXLNT:
Airbag Information
Supplemental restraint System

* The Supplemental Restraint System must be inspected ten years after it is installed. The date of installation is shown on the certificate plate located on the Driver's side door jamb.

* Diagnostic checks and replacement of Supplemental Restraint System Components must be done by an authorized dealer.

* See your owner's manual for additional Supplemental Restraint System information.

page 212 of my manual states: "The SRS needs no regular maintenence other than inspection by your Acura dealer ten years after manufacture." so I guess they don't necessarily need to be replaced.
Has anyone bothered to have theirs undergo this inspection?

I hope no one here pays for an inspection of the SRS system. It is a visual inspection only and any visual items we can see- you can see. The inspection is meant to catch any obvious violation of the capsule. If your dealer sells you a scan of the system electronics, remember- any flaw in the electronics package that will catch th eye of the scanner, will also turn on the SRS warning lite- and shut off the system. No lite, no elect problem. If the visual inspection of the capsule is nominal, you still must consider how long the 'bag' stays viable in its little cocoon. There is no expiration of the guts of the capsule so I suppose we must take it on faith that it is still good. There is NO WAY to open and repack the capsule so visual inspection of the really important parts can't be acheived. AFAIK, there have been no reports of an airbag failing because of age, but that is only AFAIK.

Sorry if all I can do is add questions rather than answers.

Cheers,
Mark Basch

Back