• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's the deal with home fumigation (termites) and leaving cars inside?

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
[FONT=&quot]This might be a random question but has anyone ever experienced termite fumigation while still keeping cars inside the home?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I've always bought homes before moving in so fumigation wasn't so tricky to plan for. Now we've been in our current home long enough and I want it fumigated again. I thought keeping the car inside would be ok but I read in the fine print of "what to do to prepare for fumigation" was to drive the car outside (if possible) OR unplug the battery. Easy enough to unplug the battery but I'd prefer not to leave this car outside. If everything inside the house will be kept fairly safe from damage, I assume a car will be fine? Is the concern more about it being an ignition source, given the fuel and such?
[/FONT]

Hello - Good question. Honestly, I am not sure what the best answer is, but I can offer some suggestions.

I'm not sure what the chemicals will do to the car such as plastics, rubber seals, leather. I don't remember who, but someone had a NA2 and the plastic inside the headlight had strange fogging. I do not know if the same could happen to you, but the fumes could get into the vents of the headlights and cause discoloration if it is not able to escape.

Sounds like the best option is to not leave it inside the garage as it would eliminate all the unknowns.

Does your work have a secured parking lot? Perhaps you can ask your security department if you can park your car there?
Maybe you can park it at a friend or relatives house?
Maybe there is a Prime member nearby with an open garage?

Another wild idea is to take it to a shop to have some major maintenance done. They will have it on a lift inside their secured garage. You get your house fumigated and you get some TLC for your car at the same time.
I mentioned this because it happened to me when I went on vacation. The shop was waiting for parts and had my car taken apart in their garage. It was safe and sound while I was out of town with the family.

I believe the danger is more about having the poisonous gas trapped inside the vehicle than it actually causing damage to the car. If it's safe for furniture and window glass, why would a car be any different? Personally I would rather move it somewhere safe. My car is with Ramon, so you can leave it in my garage for a few days if you can't find a place to take it.

I was thinking about this, all the porous material will absorb the fumigant, just like every porous material in the house.

I think the half life for most the the fumigants is on the order of a few hours, so in a day or 2 it would be all gone from the car. I like PV Mikes offer, as long as he isn’t too far away. As I haven’t parked my car in the garage in years, my street is always available, but 90 mins or so away from you.

Back