• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wheel studs and BBK

Hi Everyone

Might be a stupid question but I remember reading somewhere that aftermarket brake discs where
wider than oem and as I have to replace my wheel studs and also have a Stoptech BBK to put on,
I wondered if it would be necessary to switch to longer ones...???

I understood replacing wheel studs on the front was easy but in the rear I'd like to use the
rear wheel stud replacement without hub removal method, but I guess It might be harder with longer ones.. :confused:
Am I right?

Many thanks :)

Last edited:
You should be fine with oem studs if you aren't running spacers. A good rule of thumb is being able to thread on as deep as the stud is wide, however if you are planning on tracking the car I would try to get as much bite as possible.

unless you need wheel spacers to clear the bbk ..no need for longer studs.

The Stoptech BBK are about 4mm wider than stock and most people here say extended studs are only needed for using spacers >5mm. So you can get away with stock studs on your Stoptech BBK if you don't plan on running any spacers.

I don't think coconut's numbers are accurate. I needed a 15mm spacer to clear my stoptechs with my OEM wheels as a minimum. But that's on an 05. A 5 or even 10mm spacer would still not be enough.

With a 15mm front you really need 20mm rear at a MINIMUM to make it look right. Now you are really running short on studs.

We can't give you any definite answers until we know what your wheels are and which BBK you have. But as you can see, the problem isn't the BBK itself per se, it's needing to clear it with the wheels that requires spacers that then requires longer studs. My recommendation if you do this is just get ARP studs.

Well that's why I said we need to have that info. Coconut I am not sure where you got 4mm wider for a Stoptech than OEM from, it just doesn't sound right. 4mm is not that much. My stoptechs are waaaaay wider than the OEM calipers. I can tell you just looking at it, it's a lot more than 4. I'd say closer to 15 on just one side, so a total of perhaps 30.

I'm not talking about the calipers being wider by 4mm, I'm talking about the brake disc part that meets the hub is 4mm wider than stock. Thats what I assume the OP is talking about since he is only mentioning extended studs and not spacers.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about the calipers being wider by 4mm, I'm talking about the brake disc part that meets the hub is 4mm wider than stock. Thats what I assume the OP is talking about since he is only mentioning extended studs and not spacers.

Oh I see.

Hi Guys!

Sorry, I was away for some time and didn't see all your answers!

Many thanks to you all!

To answer you, I have Advan RS 17/18 and the BBK I still have to install is a Stopteck.

I guess I can go for OEM studs then..

^Printout the Stoptech BBK wheel fitment guide and see if it clears your wheels. If it does then you can use the OEM studs, if it doesn't you need extended wheel studs.

Back