• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wheels - 16/17

Looking to upgrade my stock wheels. I have a 92 and would like to upgrade to the 16/17 size. Finding lots of 17 x 7, but not many 17 x 8.5. Did you guys go with 17 x 9? or did most of you go up to 17/18 combo? Any ideas or opinions welcome.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

I like the 16/17 combo because there are at least a few more tire choices that retain a proper balance in width (for purposes of balanced handling, as opposed to diameter for the TCS) without resulting in a larger overall diameter ( = taller gearing), which also adds unsprung weight.

Either way, consider Volk TE-37 (Dali has the best price I’ve found ). They probably are the lightest you will find for a given size, and by a large margin compared to all but a very few.

If you decide to use 16x8 and 17x9, look at the SSR Integral (Tire Rack has them). They are not as light as the TE-37, but still among the lightest available and very strong.

I'd like to hear what you decide and how you like them.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 16 April 2001).]

I ordered 16x7 and 17x8.5 Volk TE37's from Mark Johnson at Dali Racing for my 98 Coupe. I felt the best way to minimize weight was to stay with the stock sizes.

In addition, I ordered a set of 16x8 TE37's on which I am going to mount Drag Radials.

Some may feel that other wheels are nicer looking, but none are lighter and none are more respected as purpose built wheels for racing.

I just mounted a set of SSR Integral's on my recently purchased '91 NSX in the 16/17 configuration with Michelin Pilot Sports.

I got them from TireRack, the cost was approx. $2200 delivered if I remember correctly, they are lightweight, and they look much better than the OEM wheels.

Have checked around and seems
225/45-16
245/45-17 will work, % diff same as stock

225/40-16
245/40-17 will work, same height as stock

any one have these sizes?

-----------------
92 Red/Blk

[This message has been edited by NormRD (edited 18 April 2001).]

Norm,

On the SSR Integral wheels I just bought from Tirerack (16x7 front and 17x9 rear), they recommended 215/45-16's for the front and 245/40-17's for the rear. I believe that is the OEM size tires for '94 and up NSX's, by the way.

Michelin Pilot Sports come in those sizes, and are very nice tires.

mike o is your car red and if so can you post some pics. I have a red 92 and want to put these wheels on my car. would like to see what they look like on another red one first.

steveny,

Yes, my car is red. Unfortunately, I don't own a digital camera yet.

I did take some pictures of my car last week and have a few extras, which I'd be more than happy to regular mail to you tomorrow.

E-mail me at [email protected] with your mailing address, and I'll send you out a few pictures.

Mike

Ok, i need to double check but i think the wheels come in 16x7.5 front and 17x7.5 for the rears

Do you think this size will work? What size tires will not mess up the TCS/ABS?

------------------
92 Red/Blk

I have 16x7 and 17x9s on my NSX. The tires are 225/40/16 and 265/40/17. Works fine.

BTW, I went with 16/17 because 17" rear tires are alot cheaper than 18's! I paid $175 for my Toyo T1 Proxes rear. Compared to close to $300 for 18's. I forgot how much the 16s were since I havent had to replace the fronts yet.

[This message has been edited by Ag NSX (edited 18 April 2001).]

is there a way/site that can tell you the size tires that will fit on a certain size rim?

------------------
92 Red/Blk

Yes, my car is red. Unfortunately, I don't own a digital camera yet.

Most of the chain photo processing places offer a low-cost option to have the photos placed on a CD-ROM for you.

Back