• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

When should I replace my TB and WP for the first time

Hello NSX experts. I am still an NSX novice and I am looking for your guidance in regards to the question, "When should I replace my Timing Belt and Water Pump for the first time?" I've looked through the threads and it looks like it's 7 years but how many miles? Which ever comes first right? I've found threads that say to check the VIN at an ACURA maintenance facility to determine if it has been done by the previous owner. Another thread I found was to look at the part and you will know if it's been replaced as the water plug/drain will be lower than the original. But I can't seem to get a good angle to look down to see the drain/plug location.

I will do the above in conjunction with any expert advice i see below. Also, do you recommend purchasing the OEM Timing Belt and OEM Water Pump online and then taking it in to ACURA and paying for labor (obviously the website these OEM parts are purchased from has to be reputable and not something like Ebay)? I've done this with my current Honda (keep in mind...OEM parts) and I save lots of money.

FYI...it's a 1997 3.2L with 32,313 miles. Any expert advice helps. Thanks.

FYI...it's a 1997 3.2L with 32,313 miles. Any expert advice helps. Thanks.

You are driving a TICKING TIME BOMB!!!!

Please change it ASAP or confirm its been done.

All seriousness.

The car is over 10 years old, it's time for the TB and WP. My experience with dealerships and most service garages is that they are loathe to have customers buy parts elsewhere to be installed on-site, although the trend is changing. It is akin to bringing food to a restaurant and asking them to cook it.

And, it's not really a "time bomb", seriously.

Last edited:
If you can get the car on a lift and snake a flashlight in there you might be able to see the drain hole on the new water pump if it has been changed already. I know because i looked at mine this way this week and mine had been changed and the only reason i even noticed it was because they used the old cover and cut a hole in it for the new water pump drain plug. If not for the strange looking cuts and a metal nipple looking thing slightly protruding from it i would have never noticed it and like i said, my car was on a lift and the mechanic had a L.E.D. snake light on it. Its a tight fit under there.

I know mine has been changed at least once because i saw the proof this week but i still dont know when it was done or how many years & miles ago. I would like to believe that the p.o. had done it right before i bought it but wishful thinking will only get you so far so i'll be saving up for a T.B. change very soon.

As far as buying parts online and bringing them into a dealership, you might want to have something like this priced at the dealer ahead of time and if you ask them to match someone elses prices on parts they might do it and if not then just call Tim or J.R. at Ray Laks Acura 1-888-Ray-Laks. They have the best prices and free shipping and they know their stuff. I have used them allot and so have many other members. They will get you what you need for the job.

If you can get the car on a lift and snake a flashlight in there you might be able to see the drain hole on the new water pump if it has been changed already.

This guy's car is a 97. I think it had the new style pump and cover originally.

BTW, If you know what you are looking for, its not that hard to see the new-style weep tube/cover.

To answer your question, Acura's recommendation for the '97-05 NSX is to replace the timing belt after 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. Yours is now four years overdue. Change it. The water pump is not explicitly stated but it's a good idea to replace it as part of the procedure, because it's all the same labor and you will avoid repeating that if you don't replace it and it fails. I also recommend replacing the cooling system hoses (best to do all of them, but at a minimum the big ones) at the same time; it's good preventive maintenance, better than having one fail on the road.

I've found threads that say to check the VIN at an ACURA maintenance facility to determine if it has been done by the previous owner.
Maintenance records are not centralized, except for repairs as the result of a recall. Checking the VIN at a maintenance facility will only tell you whether the maintenance was performed at that specific facility, not elsewhere.

Maintenance records are not centralized, except for repairs as the result of a recall. Checking the VIN at a maintenance facility will only tell you whether the maintenance was performed at that specific facility, not elsewhere.

I have found that with other makes such as Audi and Porsche I can input the VIN at any dealer and (if they will) get a print out of the entire history or maintenance on the car. That is IF the dealer that did the work put it in the system along with the VIN.

Acura doesn't do this?

I have found that with other makes such as Audi and Porsche I can input the VIN at any dealer and (if they will) get a print out of the entire history or maintenance on the car. That is IF the dealer that did the work put it in the system along with the VIN.

Acura doesn't do this?
No.

Its not a time bomb - think of doing the work as insurance. I just did mine and the old belt looked perfect.

I have a hard and fast rule to do mine again, at about 245k miles (I'm 145k now) or the year 2018, which ever comes first (give or take a year or so). :biggrin:

If it makes you feel any better Im getting my TB done in a couple weeks by the folks at Autowave. Had mine done back in 2000/2001. Not quite sure which because South Coast Acrua purged their friggin service files after so many years! :mad: Car runs fine but better safe than sorry. :smile:

Oh yeah throwing in some Comptech headers as well. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I think I looked at this car several weeks ago...had it checked out ...all seemed well except some concern about third gear..possible cable problem or snychro issue...I ultimately backed out because of IRS problem, but my other concern was TB/WP being overdue and early sale at an auction....the auction part checked out, I spoke to the second owner...I'm curious about what it sold for.hope this helps ...you should definitely change them out ...jpn

Back