• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where to have headers installed locally?

I'm thinking about using Acura of Pleasanton since they are close to me and I think they have an NSX tech (if its really necessary just for a header install) but wanted to see if anyone knows a better place or just as good for less $$$.

OR....if anyone wants to help me I have air tools and can supply beer and bbq.

TIA

Where are you? I haven't done headers before so I'm not sure how much help I'd be, but if you're just looking for an extra pair of hands I'd be up for it.

Where are you? I haven't done headers before so I'm not sure how much help I'd be, but if you're just looking for an extra pair of hands I'd be up for it.

I'm in Tracy. Maybe I need to set up a run that ends in Tracy for some BBQ and wrenching session.

It is necessary to drop the front beam for this. It's not horribly complex, but isn't a standard oil change type job. If yours is an older NSX and hasn't been apart before, there are going to be some rusted nuts/bolts in hard to reach places (ie front bank heat shield + exhaust port bolts) so I personally wouldn't drop it off at any old shop unless you didn't have a choice. Why take the chance?

Last edited:
I thought we were gonna do it? Dam man, I go out of town for a week and all of a sudden I don't exist? :cool:

I'll be back in town this weekend but now that I think of it my weekends are kinda booked up for a while. So if you're in a rush, you may want to move sooner. I'll call you this weekend and see if we can figure something out

J

I thought we were gonna do it? Dam man, I go out of town for a week and all of a sudden I don't exist? :cool:

I'll be back in town this weekend but now that I think of it my weekends are kinda booked up for a while. So if you're in a rush, you may want to move sooner. I'll call you this weekend and see if we can figure something out

J

ur a hard person to get a hold of.

check ur email... i think the comcast one...

It is necessary to drop the front beam for this. It's not horribly complex, but isn't a standard oil change type job. If yours is an older NSX and hasn't been apart before, there are going to be some rusted nuts/bolts in hard to reach places (ie front bank heat shield + exhaust port bolts) so I personally wouldn't drop it off at any old shop unless you didn't have a choice. Why take the chance?

Actually I have aftermarket headers in there now that were installed about 4 years ago so there shouldn't be any rusted/stuck bolts. And I don't intend to drop it off at "any old shop" but wanted some recommendations for a good NSX shop locally or a dealer since i think for them this would be straight forward. Acura of Pleasanton has a NSX tech (Gary Chan) and quoted me $546 for the job.

I've always heard good things about Driving Ambition in Cameron Park?
Could they do it?

Yes they could and they were the last ones who did it when I was having a lot of things done but its way too far to drive out there just for a header install.

J

I sensed a disturbance in the force and knew you wouldn't be available any time soon to assist. :smile: However I just got off the phone with you and you're probably right about getting under there and seen how things look and if not too bad we could tackle it ourselves. But your not available for about another months so............

BTW - Can anyone confirm if the header gaskets are metal and don't need to be replaced.

No need to change both metal header gaskets unless the are damaged. Removed Comptech header and in the process of installing OEM ones back. I think this is my 4th header installation.

No need to change both metal header gaskets unless the are damaged. Removed Comptech header and in the process of installing OEM ones back. I think this is my 4th header installation.

Thanks for the info on the gaskets. How long does it take you to remove and install?

Yeah no pains no gains. The whole process is depends on your experience. I am also changing back to the OEM clutch so it will take more time.

If everthing goes smoothly, it should be less than 5 hours.

I did mine a few years ago. It was kind of a PITA to have to take so much apart. I spent ~6-8hrs between two days and didn't use power tools. I believe the most time spent was working the bolts out/in from the tight spaces. You might have more room to work with if you already have headers.

I'd be willing to help out, but I think my weekends are kind of tied up for a while as well :redface:

$500 or so isn't bad if you don't want to spend the time.

Took me 5 or 6 hrs but I have lots of tools than most and a tolerance for pain in my knuckles lol. If I were to do it again I think I could in 4hrs. Not that hard.

Did my Top Speed headers a in 2009 and it was a PITA even with power tools and lots of liquid wrench to loosen bolts in sub frame. Took all night. Not something I would recommend doing again.

In one sense, it is a PITA. On the other hand, you will gain great satisfaction of a job well done and a greater understanding of your car. It took me about 8 hours including removing the entire exhaust. I did this alone in my garage with my car on jack stands. If 2 guys were working on this together, I can say you might be able to knock this out in 3-4 hours. Air tools, lots of extensions and the correct long sockets will go a LONG way in avoiding unnecessary trips to the auto parts store.

Wear your oldest clothes, good gloves, eye protection and for heaven's sake, keep you mouth closed!:tongue:

All in all, if my local dealer quoted me $550 range, I'd say have them do it.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Yes the price from Acura is not bad and makes the decision harder cause if they said something like $800 then I wouldn't even consider it.

However I would like the satisfaction of doing it myself but certainly not the anguish, pain etc. that might come along with it.

If this was the first time headers were been put into my car I would likely pass cause of the horror stories I have heard about getting stuck bolts off but since the OEM headers were taken out a few years back I think the bolts wont be a problem.

Uhg...decisions decisions......I got till this weekend to decide since I am taking Tuesday and Wednesday off so 5 day weekend gives me plenty of time to do it.

And I could certainly use the extra $500 in my pocket for some new wheels.

if you have tools, a daily driver and a weekend and $500 is not change to you (like myself) then go for it. Do some research on prime for instructions and pics, n ot too bad really.

This link show my thread where I did some headers. no instructions but few pics that might help a little.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159326

if you have tools, a daily driver and a weekend and $500 is not change to you (like myself) then go for it. Do some research on prime for instructions and pics, n ot too bad really.

This link show my thread where I did some headers. no instructions but few pics that might help a little.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159326

nice thanks. I love to have pics. There are many write ups but few with pics and I love having a pic of something right next to me when I'm working on something unfamiliar.

ur a hard person to get a hold of.

check ur email... i think the comcast one...

I just remembered today about this post.

I don't have a Comcast email address. Just text me

J

Very BIG special thank you to 02#154 (James) for his awesome help removing and installing my headers and then sticking around to help with my center exit exhaust and diffuser.

Your a very special kind of guy. (no homo) :)

Some pics of our hard work and a vid of the exhaust sound.

Untitled.jpg

Top Speed header out

34.jpg

Comptechs waiting to go in

91.jpg

93.jpg

photo2.jpg

removing the rear bumper

63.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

IMG_0119-2.jpg

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NjagYNvWNls?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NjagYNvWNls?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Back