• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which fuse/relay to pull for anti theft purposes?

Howdy all. Please forgive if this query is in the wrong forum.. Also , I searched for the existing thread for at least a half hour and can't find it.

There was a "Security" thread somewhere where you all were discussing pulling out a relay or a fuse so that the car was either not able to be started or driven (stolen).

Can you tell me which is the SAFEST relay or fuse ( i don't remember what it was) to disconnect and take with me so that the car won't be operable?

I DON'T want to reset any CPU or OBDII stuff.

Again, I know the thread is somewhere I just can't for the life of me find it.

Thanks in advance , Anthony

Perhaps this is the thread.

Kill switches... (nsxprime.com)

There are a few ways to do this. If you specifically want to pull a fuse the fuel pump fuse would do the trick. The starter motor will crank; but, the engine will not run and it will not cause a reset on the ECU.

You could pull the fuel pump fuse (Fuse No. 2). No gas, no go.

Also the clock fuse (Fuse No. 7) would kill power to the ECU.

Thanks guys . Fuse #2 got it. Much obliged. Funny I didn't get any notifications that there were replies to my thread.. but whatevs. Hope You all are dealing best you can in the Depression.

As an observation, if you want to use this as a regular theft deterrence measure, fuse pulling is not the best solution. The fuse jaws are not designed for continuous removal and insertion like a USB connection. Do this enough and the jaws are going to loosen which invites a high resistance connection and on a high current load like the fuel pump its an invitation to fuse panel failure. Aside from being inconvenient to do the removal, any half way savvy professional thief in a parking lot who sees you bending down to remove the fuse will know what is going on. Even if you take the fuse with you, all they have to do is remove some other fuse and insert it into the spot for the fuel pump and the car is good to go.

If you want to do this infrequently, fuse removal is an OK solution; but, not a particularly good deterrent. Probably less effective than the OEM security system and starter interlock. If you plan to do this every time you drive some place and park the car, I would look for a better solution, similar to those discussed in that thread I linked.

Thanks for the input! Nope , not planning on doing this often. Just leaving town for a bit and left the x in my garage.

not planning on making a habit of pulling fuses. Thanks again!

A tow truck doesn’t care what fuses you have pulled.
My neighbour’s car was stolen with a flatbed tow truck.
Another neighbour watched it happen thinking it was legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input! Nope , not planning on doing this often. Just leaving town for a bit and left the x in my garage.

not planning on making a habit of pulling fuses. Thanks again!

This is a separate issue; but, if you are going away for a couple of weeks you would be wise to disconnect the battery otherwise you will have a dead battery when you get home.

Back