• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which Nsx should I buy? NA1 or NA2?

I have tracked my 96 for ever and with the comtech harness bar/type R front braces is pretty tidy....:wink:

Thanks to all who have contributed their thoughs on this question. In a perfect world I'd be able to drive both models and see for myself which one suits me better. Unfurtunately, as you all know, these cars aren't readily available so I had to depend on your experience with these cars. I think I have narrowed it down to NA1 cars. I do prefer open top driving and the look of the targa but will have to continue to think about it a little more. I am not a track driver but do like driving the back twisty roads which is what I will mostly be doing with this car. I know at times with my other convertibles, the wind noise is kind of much but you get that extra noise from the engine with the open roof which adds another dimension.
If any one has more thoughts on a Targa version please continue to post. Special thanks to Sterling for responding directly to my emails and giving me his insight/ expertise on certain cars I was considering.

I know at times with my other convertibles, the wind noise is kind of much but you get that extra noise from the engine with the open roof which adds another dimension.
If any one has more thoughts on a Targa version please continue to post. Special thanks to Sterling for responding directly to my emails and giving me his insight/ expertise on certain cars I was considering.

Cruising around town you might appreciate the additional engine noise. At speeds above 100 km/hr, especially if you are pushing a head wind the extra engine noise will be pretty much lost in the wind noise, especially if you drive with the side windows down at the same time (unless you have a really loud aftermarket exhaust). On the up-side, if your head unit / door amps are dead you won't care because at highway speeds with the top off and the windows down an audio system is a useless feature.

I know at times with my other convertibles, the wind noise is kind of much but you get that extra noise from the engine with the open roof which adds another dimension.
Here is a review of the 1995 that addresses the targa top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITPHue7cVGU

I've owned a 2000, 2002 and two 2005 "Targa" tops and I didn't care for it all that much. The sound of the top flexing/rattling when you're going high speeds or going down a driveway at an odd angle was disappointing. I have a coupe now and I love it.

lol..............

I've had a 95 coupe, 01 T and 04 T. The 04 T was the best driving car, most refined and I felt the fastest of the 3. I didn't like the manual steering rack of the 95 coupe as I had to muscle my way into into any parking spot. I also felt the gear ratios were too long in the NA1. The T-vs Coupe debate will always go on. I think the rigidity is a wash between the 2. I like the versatility of the T top but the looks of the coupe. I always say the NSX-T is a Japanese CGT. In the end, I kept the 01-T with the pop up headlights and 3.2L, 6speed as I felt it hit the sweet spot. The production was also much lower with only 1254 built between 97-01 vs. 6833 NA1's.

Last edited:
just when I thought I had it all figured it our. I was set for a Targa NA1. Back to the drawing board

I don't mean to make light of your situation, but I wouldn't get caught up in in the NA1/ NA2 analysis paralysis here. Realistically speaking, there are some things that make sense to get right out of the gate and IMO those are: coupe v targa, color preference, condition and price. Theoretically, here is what you have to pick from. Get out and see and ride in /drive cars. Make NSX friends. Learn about the cars. It makes it easier to find and know when you've found a good one.

Once you have yours, things can be changed depending on what you want out of the car. Take suspension as an example: Want lower, progressive and comfy? More canyon carving but not extreme NVH? Track rat? Take your pick and go for it. If you don't like it, change it back.

If it helps, here is my story. I wanted a LHD white or blue 97-01 JDM type S coupe with a black interior. That was not an option for me. So, I bought the nicest white/black 94 I could and over time have added as I saw fit. Headers/exhaust, type S suspension/rims, 97+ brakes and spare, NSX-R bars, 6 speed with twin disk spline main and light flywheel, etc. It is exactly what *I* wanted and there are many stories here just like mine.

It is great that the NSX is getting valued for what it is, which IMO is a pinnacle of 90s Japanese sports car excess and a celebration of Honda at it's best. But don't forget the best part - this is a fun, reliable, gorgeous car that you shouldn't be afraid to enjoy on your own terms. Said a different way, I think it is also great what the car *isn't*. It isn't unobtainuim. It isn't flaky. There aren't too many 'gotchas' like VANOs, subframes in e46 M3s or ABC suspensioned R230 AMG Mercs, or FD apex seals, or 800HP but built/tuned how well and by who MKIV Supras, or engine out belt change, watch the headers don't crack, and don't dare drive 100k or you'll never sell it F355s.

I love all the cars I just mentioned, but they aren't an NSX. Find a good one, be aware that it is old and will need some maintenance to get to a good baseline and enjoy the hell out of it.

Thanks for the replies. I really like the look of the Targa top NSX. I narrowed it down to black/ ivory or black / camel. I think i'm fine with a NA1 but I'm open to NA2. If there was a big difference between the two I'd go for a NA2 but there aren't many to choose from.

MJK has some great advice there - really all you need to know. These cars are easy keepers and buying now is smart because I think prices will only go up.

Unfortunately the NSX is the anti-911 from a trim options standpoint. You couldn't get a 25+ different variations :)

Great post by [MENTION=7537]MJK[/MENTION]. I succumbed to this decision process and decided to modify the car myself. The mod bug has bit me ever since.

you chose wisely:wink:....

Just wanted to update everyone. i put a deposit down on a 96 T. If everything turns out ok on the inspection, I'll be joining the club. Thanks to all who gave their input.

Congrats! Enjoy it in good health, and please don't be a stranger.

Being in Florida you made the right decision picking up an NSX-T. I'm located in NJ and I remove the top every chance I get. Congrats!

Thanks guys. I'll post a few pictures when I get the car.

If you have your car in time, you might want to join with other Southeast NSX owners for NSXcapades in Orlando, December 6-7-8. See details in the Southeast section of NSX Prime forum.

Welcome to the NSX community. Be sure and join NSXCA. https://nsxca.org/

If you have your car in time, you might want to join with other Southeast NSX owners for NSXcapades in Orlando, December 6-7-8. See details in the Southeast section of NSX Prime forum.

Welcome to the NSX community. Be sure and join NSXCA. https://nsxca.org/

I saw that in the southeast section. I'm hoping I will get delivery by then but may have to delay due to storage issues.

Back