• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which Nsx should I buy? NA1 or NA2?

Congratulations!

Fun to see this thread grow and get so much input.

Pictures of your new to you NSX will be the cherry on the top.

- How is the Targa if kept in place all the time? Is there usually any creaks/noise coming from it? Specifically 97-01 model years

- Also what’s the cost for replacing the clutch vs the NA1 cars? Also timing belt?

- Any known issues with those years such as EPS going bad, etc.... for example, NA1’s has the window regulator problem, snap ring, climate unit, etc.....

Thinking of upgrading to a NA2 - ideally coupe but there is no chance I can pay the premium $$$$$$ for those - so it has to be a Targa

Thanks in advance

Hi,
Having own an NA2 Targa for 19 years now, I believe that I can answer your questions and or concerns.

- No creaks/noise coming from the top or the structure when driving on the road. When the top is off the windscreen will shake a bit if going over train track of very rough road surface, I would guess this is normal in any Targa car. With the top on they are about the same as the coupe. You can also, add the NSX_R front rails support.

- The Clutch parts on the NA2 is appoximatly $1500.00 without the fly wheel, the Factory claim that this should be replaced if damage...this unit can be machined if needed. The Flywheel is apox $2000.00

- No know issues like the early MY NSX's. The EPS CPU did have a recall on some cars, however most cars should have had this recall completed under warranty. The CCU and radio are know problem, due to age of the Caps, and is easily repaired.

I would say most early NSX problems i.e 91-92, were addressed with MY 1993 +...so these problems don't exist with 93+ NSX's. Having say all of the above...maintenance is the key with this or any car!

Bram

No, but I have driven multiple of NA1's from NA to FI .... I would say the single most significant part of owning an NA2 is the 6 speed box, and having a Targa to cruise around is nice as well.

Bram

I have a 2000 T and can assure you that the later cars also suffer from the ageing window regulator problem, so that is not a deciding factor when picking a model year. Bram didn't touch on your question of the timing belt, Perhaps because that is also not a decision factor since replacement will be similar for labor and parts cost.

The EPS controller on the 95+ cars (so not necessarily an NA1 vs NA2 problem) can suffer from failure of the internal power and fail safe relays. The problem has been well documented by Kaz on his NSXGB blog. According to Kaz, Honda upgraded to relays with a higher current rating during the production run and then switched back to a lower rated relay even later (go figure?). So getting a later car does not necessarily mean that you are home-free. The good news is that the relays can be replaced (with a soldering iron) and are about $10 from Digikey.

If you are considering the purchase of an Na2 T roof, carefully check the condition of the two gaskets that run up along the front and back of the door glass and across the opening of the T roof. The price of those gaskets will leave you bleeding from the eyes - the factory service manual dedicates more pages to the R&R of those gaskets than it does to the timing belt or clutch replacement! I would price discount any T roof by $1000 - $1500 if either of those gaskets has significant damage.

If you have ever had a lower back injury or are at all prone to spasms in the lower back, avoid the T roof unless you have a second person to help you with R&R. The panel is not light weight and its a bit awkward to deal with if you install it single handed from the side of the car. I find that the T roof is a novelty. In the last couple of years the only time mine comes off is to clean and lubricate the gaskets.

The closer ratios of the 6 speed are nice as is the tall 6th gear on the highway. My experience is that the 6 speed is best when it is stinky hot and not so good when it is cold (below 10C). Specifically you need to shift deliberately and slowly when the box is cold other wise it may balk on shifts. Once truly hot, shifting is just fine; but, it seems that the gearbox does take much longer to come up to operating temperature than the engine does. My very limited exposure suggests that the 5 speed is a nicer shifting gear box when cold.

The 2000 and later Na2 cars have the final version of the ABS which works better and avoids the known maintenance issues associated with the earlier ABS.

The dual mass clutch feels different than the dual disk clutch on the early cars. My take is that the early clutch may be a little easier to drive smoothly in stop and go traffic than the dual mass clutch. Only a test dive will confirm whether it is more or less to your liking.

Oh - forgot to ask an important question: I do track all my cars about 3-4 times a year - although I drive at the limit sometimes but I don’t do actual racing - I remember reading here long time ago about Ken’s NA1 having engine damage at the track - is there any improvement(s) in the NA2 related to that area?

Kens engine failed due to the dual mass crank pulley failing and cutting into the timing cover. This could happen on any na1 or na2 nsx. There are simple solutions now. Titanium Dave has a shield or you can buy a new pulley

Oh - forgot to ask an important question: I do track all my cars about 3-4 times a year - although I drive at the limit sometimes but I don’t do actual racing - I remember reading here long time ago about Ken’s NA1 having engine damage at the track - is there any improvement(s) in the NA2 related to that area?

I don't track my car, so I can't comment, I'm not sure what happen to Ken's NSX....so

Bram

I don't find the roof a big problem to deal with by myself yet, although there have been times when my back would not have been very happy without a helper. However the top is rarely on, as the car only comes out on sunny days. :encouragement:

A few pictures of the newest addition

Here’s a few pictures of my 1996 NSX -T, 9,609 miles. I just drove it a few miles and sent it to my detail guy for him to perform paint correction. In the little time I had with the car I have to say I love it! I miss it already. I’ll report back after I get some more seat time. Thanks again for all your help. D3E13984-6541-4FF8-AF68-646A09BB8018.jpg6FC2CFD1-6829-4FF0-8246-E07A999A284C.jpg83C84854-AC39-40AE-B63B-0CCB3C9C8220.jpg

Looks great! I got mine in 2011 with 9100 miles. It hasn't quite reached 19K yet. Got to drive it more this summer!! Make sure to drive yours.:eagerness:

you stole my car and un-bee'd it!!!:wink:

Beautiful car! Reminds me of the first day I got mine a LONG time ago.

Time to start making some memories with it - I see one eager participant already!

my car is #259 berlina/camel...what is your #...a long time ago some folks were trying to determine if there was any rhyme/ reason to the production # and color combo's.

Back