• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which tires for new Science of Speed '02+ OEM clone wheels?

The new Science of Speed '02+ clone wheels are shipping in the next few days:

https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/blog/scienceofspeeds-2002-style-nsx-forged-wheel-program/

The ScienceofSpeed 2002 Style Forged Wheels are now offered in two size combinations:
  • 17x7.5+45 & 17x9.0+40 (+16mm further offset compared to factory)
  • 17x7.5+45 & 18x9.0+36 (+16 & +20mm further offset compared to factory)

Wanted to see if anybody was thinking about tires yet? For sizing, per this wheel size calculator:

Width: 7.5 -- Min: 205, Ideal: 215 or 225, Max: 235
Width: 9.0 -- Min: 235, Ideal: 245 or 255, Max: 265

I was thinking maybe Pirelli PZero's, 225/45R17 in the front and 255/40R18's in the rear? Or the PZero Nero GT's, 215/40R17 in the front and 255/35R18 in the rear?

What are your tire requirements and budget? What version of the wheel did you order? Do you need an all season tire?

Based on my actual experience, I have two recommendations as well as a third.

Best sizes for your wheel specifications would be:

Front: 215/40R17
Rear: 255/35R18

YOKOHAMA AD08R:

I currently have Yokohama Advan AD08R on my 1994 NSX. They are a great street tire, lots and lots of of grip. While you indicated you don't track your car, I can tell you these are a great track tire. Warm up quickly and don't get greasy when hot. I mention this as it translates well to the street, spirited runs, canyon carving, etc.

I can't speak to wear mileage as I probably put 1,500 miles a year on my car and it is more track miles than street miles. If these tires have a negative, it would be road noise. Depending upon the road surface these tires do contribute to a small increase in cabin noise. Not excessively, but you do notice it. Based on my experience however, the tire's performance more than makes up for an increase in road noise.

DUNLOP DIREZZA ZIII:

I have run these tires on my 1990 E30 M3. Mostly track mileage but I do have some road mileage as well. These tires are similar to the AD08R with respect to performance. Lot's of grip, probably more so than the AD08R with similar noise characteristics. Warm up fast and don't get greasy when hot. The tire communicates with you as it begins to slide. Breakaway is gradual so you have time to input some steering wheel correction. Again, can't speak to wear mileage as I don't put enough miles on the car. I both cases, I'll probably date-code out the tires before I wear them out.

YOKOHAMA ADVAN A052:

While I don't have direct experience with this tire, from the reviews I have read it looks like a performance winner. Several reviews have compared it to the Bridgestone RE-71R, which is the defacto 200 wear rating performance champion. Has all the benefits of the Bridgestone but holds up to high temps with out losing its grippiness. Better wet weather performace too. I am looking at this tire to replace my AD08R when the time comes.

In the case of the AD08R and the ZIII, I don't have any experience in the rain with either tire. I am told the AD08R does well in the rain (this from a racer friend) and I would assume the ZIII will perform in a similar fashion. With any extreme performance summer tire, I'd be careful approaching big areas of standing water at high speeds.

If you need that safety margin for wet driving days, then the Pirelli PZero Nero GT looks like a great choice.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Front: 215/40R17
Rear: 255/35R18

These are roughly the sizes I was looking at, thanks. I'm always worried about how they'll look (too stretched or too bulky).

YOKOHAMA ADVAN A052:
While I don't have direct experience with this tire, from the reviews I have read it looks like a performance winner. Several reviews have compared it to the Bridgestone RE-71R, which is the defacto 200 wear rating performance champion. Has all the benefits of the Bridgestone but holds up to high temps with out losing its grippiness. Better wet weather performace too. I am looking at this tire to replace my AD08R when the time comes.

I had the RE71's on my first set of wheels for the car (OEM), they had good grip for what I do. Road noise doesn't concern me that much, as I'm 99% top-down driving. So I'll look into the AO52's as well.

If you need that safety margin for wet driving days, then the Pirelli PZero Nero GT looks like a great choice.

Not so much concern about wet driving days but the PZero Nero GT's on there currently have been pretty good to me.

My main concern was with sizing, and noticing that some of these tires have gaps in their sizing (no 225/235 PZero options). Will post pics when I get them, just got the call from SoS that they're shipping today. Thanks!

New SoS wheels / tires now on the car, I went with the Pirelli PZero Nero GT's in 215/40 & 255/35 fitment.

tVoVfBu.jpg

cHPOOr1.jpg

ITyE8Fd.jpg

Did you do any alignment?
I bought a set and wonder if the alignment is required.
Since the offsets are different with the OEM.

I haven't done an alignment, but the car also doesn't feel out of alignment either. But good thinking on the offset possibly impacting alignment, I'm taking it in for an oil change in 2 weeks and will get them to check it.

Back