• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which would you choose?? 2002 vs 2005

So lets say you can choose between two similar cars. One is a 2002 and one is a 2005. Both have close to the same mileage. Both are the same color in and out. Both are stock.

Basically these two cars are almost the same. Except the year of manufacture.

One is $58k and one is $72k. Is the car thats 3 years newer "worth" $14k more? I mean, for $14k you could put on a SC and lots of other goodies.

The newer car would probably have better resale only because its the end of the line. Typically you would think the older car is depreciating less.

Thoughts?????

So lets say you can choose between two similar cars. One is a 2002 and one is a 2005. Both have close to the same mileage. Both are the same color in and out. Both are stock.

One is $58k and one is $72k. Is the car thats 3 years newer "worth" $14k more? I mean, for $14k you could put on a SC and lots of other goodies.

The newer car would probably have better resale only because its the end of the line. Typically you would think the older car is depreciating less.

Thoughts?????

If you have the $ buy the '05. The last of the best will always be more valuable down the road IMO......what is your motivation- keeping the car stock or modifying it?

Very few people looking at a collector quality cars want one that has been modified.

Thoughts?????

hmm...let me think really hard about this;)

you know my answer..one is 3 years newer....that means, newer rubber, newer paint, plus likely under warranty still.....plus best of all, the car will likely have more collectable value? anyways, i wanted the last year, but it all depends on what you want. you may not care about all of the above, and would rather save 14k....

ITs simple. If you are going to modify it, get the 02. If you aren't, get the 05. Honestly that is what it will boil down to.

ITs simple. If you are going to modify it, get the 02. If you aren't, get the 05. Honestly that is what it will boil down to.

This coming from a guy with a supercharged 05. :biggrin: jk man

"Basically these two cars are almost the same. Except the year of manufacture.

One is $58k and one is $72k. Is the car thats 3 years newer "worth" $14k more? "

Not to me. But thats just me.:smile:

Buy an 02 with all the mods and save the money PERIOD. That is what I did.

The additional warranty of the 05 is nice, but you can probably get an aftermarket or Honda extended warranty for around $3K that will put you in the same ballpark as the 05. Of course, things don't often go wrong with the NSX, but if they do, it is BIG $$$.

I would probably get the 02, then get I/H/E.

02 due to price. I have never owned a car long enough for it to be a collectors edition....nor will I ever....02 w/mods....all day... Save some money.....even if you get the 05 and can find the SC ( lol comptech future???)......................You will end up still buying the sc for the 05 and have close to 100k in car..... This is the scenario allot of us follow...

I bought 91 auto mod, 92 sc mod and now looking for 02 plus with sc.....Addictive.....Never ending quest for the perfect car.....

Price was my perfect car would be a 97 with 02 conversion and SC....assuming it would be the cheapest for me to buy....

here an 05 with SC http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acur...013QQitemZ230240115718QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Last edited:
Go with the 05 if you are planning to keep it for a long time (5+ years AND you aren't planning on driving it 10k miles a year every year). If you're just going to daily drive and enjoy for a while like a completely normal car -- get the 02. I wouldn't worry about about the maintenance/warranty issue.

I would probably get the 02, then get I/H/E.

Cmon Dave, you haven't been out of the NSX long enough to have forgotten that the 3.2L headers are of excellent design right out of the box. I believe you might get 1-2hp more out of a/m but that is about it. Not worth the $$ IMHO.:smile:

Planning 1-2k per year MAX if that makes a difference.

IMO J. you know why.....
Because the 05 in question is as non scaved perfect no touchups...etc the 02 (have not seen it yet) because it is older by chance is likely to have some imperfections.....may have the few little scratches, rock chips that you (being self proclaimed anal) will be annoyed by that.

Either way I know you'll enjoy but knowing you have the closest that is possible to off the showroom then the choice may be the 05':cool:

I would go with '02. just because of the $$$ savings.

Cmon Dave, you haven't been out of the NSX long enough to have forgotten that the 3.2L headers are of excellent design right out of the box. I believe you might get 1-2hp more out of a/m but that is about it. Not worth the $$ IMHO.:smile:

Yeah.. away too long. :) Looks like I am moving to your neck of the woods in the next few weeks.

I would say it's a toss up, but for me it would come down to if I was going to drive it a lot or not. I would feel better about putting 150,000 miles on a 6 year old car I paid $58k for than a 3 year old car I paid $72k for.

I only paid 42k for my 11 year old NSX and I still worry about dings and such.

Thoughts?????

Me personaly, I cannot justify paying $35k more over a 91 for half second faster acceleration and 5 mph top end. If I was in the market and had a budge for $65k I would get a 91 NSX for $30k either turbo it or leave it alone and bank the remainder or buy a Ferrari F355.

Best of luck.

Greetings

I would go with the 05. The 02 is off warranty -- Honda will not sell you a Honda extended warranty after the original expires -- they wanted essentially $4K on my 03. I bought just over $3k by emailing multiple dealers and playing them against each other. The 05 has a better warranty than my 03 did/now does -- you can get an extended warranty on the 05 later on.

Cheers,
Martin

The shift knob in the 2005 is worth half of the $14k price difference
dunno.gif

Back