• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who is keeping car after warranty up?

Ok this thread got me thinking so I researched the prices of a few "what if" scenarios. In the event of a catastrophic engine failure, long block and heads cost $108k ($144k MSRP) before labor. Those Cosworth heads alone are like $66k. Wowsers! In the GTR world, a blown engine just means you have an excuse to build it for 1k+ HP for less than this. There aren't any indy shops building JNC1 engines to the best of my knowledge. On the bright side, running JNC1 engines from part outs on eBay appear to be only ~$20k which makes me feel somewhat better but there is no guarantee one will be available when you need it. I saw another that sold in the past for $15k. I'm surprised to see them sell that cheap given the cost of a new crate motor, but perhaps it's just small market size and stout engine creating low demand for replacements?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are many cases of reported JNC1 engine failures? The only one I could find was on a car that was regularly rented out at a race track for joy rides and maintained by site staff then it was thrashed on by service mechanics and caught on film. Given that this is a GT3 endurance / race engine I expect they should be pretty solid but I'll sleep better at night if you all reassure me :). I still have faith in Honda / Acura but that engine price is out of this world. Many exotics can get replacements for less than that.

My 17' NSX was sold as "Acura certified" but without extended warranty. It was previously sold as Acura certified with 2 year extended warranty though so it may have just been that they can certify it again, but can't extend warranty again beyond 6 years? At least the car has a good service history and I can see all the notes from the last certified inspection. After a bit of research, it sounds like these cars have been extremely reliable for most people but I understand the concern now.
Hence my original concern …not Anticipating anything catastrophic happening but if it does out of warranty …

MC

Ok this thread got me thinking so I researched the prices of a few "what if" scenarios. In the event of a catastrophic engine failure, long block and heads cost $108k ($144k MSRP) before labor. Those Cosworth heads alone are like $66k.

That's insane. It is about 70% of the car's value. What about the cost of the hybrid batteries and their electric components. I suspect the batteries are money also.

That's insane. It is about 70% of the car's value. What about the cost of the hybrid batteries and their electric components. I suspect the batteries are money also.
I looked up the hybrid battery. Not too bad; somewhere in the $12,000 vicinity. McLaren P1 battery is about $150,000!

Back