• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who is keeping car after warranty up?

I bought my car certified from Acura and I believe the warranty is up at the end of 2023. AFAIK you can't extend warranty beyond that. Most third party warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Back in the day GM would let you extend the warranty with the GMPP but don't think Acura will. My car is is coming up on 25K and I know that is nothing for a Honda product but this car is mostly bespoke and the thought of some sort of catastrophic failure scares me. As much as I love the car getting a new vette with a warranty is tempting. Who is planning on keeping their NC1 after all warranties are expired?

MC

My warranty expired years ago
I have 14k and change miles on the car
Not worried at all about something going wrong

Ditto. 12.5k miles. Car in-service date of Nov 2017.

Mine expires in 4 months, and I am not scared! One of the best cars I have ever had.

I bought my car certified from Acura and I believe the warranty is up at the end of 2023. AFAIK you can't extend warranty beyond that. Most third party warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Back in the day GM would let you extend the warranty with the GMPP but don't think Acura will. My car is is coming up on 25K and I know that is nothing for a Honda product but this car is mostly bespoke and the thought of some sort of catastrophic failure scares me. As much as I love the car getting a new vette with a warranty is tempting. Who is planning on keeping their NC1 after all warranties are expired?

MC
I would have more confidence crossing the country in a non-warrantied NSX with 100,000 miles than a new Corvette. I had a 1st gen NSX (that was also very bespoke in its era) that I owned for about 20 years that was supercharged and I put over 200,000km on it; never even gave me a hiccup.

Keeping mine. 2017. Just incredible so far. Driving in WI winter but not daily. Bit of longing for a new turbo s but I’d be trading it for the next new thing at great depreciation and poor initial value.

I am keeping mine. My 4 year warranty ended in May 2022. i Make sure that all maintenance is accomplished in a timely way.

Mine expires this year, but I have no reason to part ways...

Ditto, it’s Japanese!

New c8 corvette , go on c8 corvette forums and take a look at their problems . Then look at transmission problems , 1st change fluid , then change valve body and finally change transmission , after months of nonsense this is what you get. GM has acknowledge there is a problem by taking production away from Tremac (mexico) and moving it to ST. Catherines , GM plant . The transmission castings from Mexico were total porousity .

I'm an NSX guy forever, I'd never sell the Type S. Zanardi I've debated selling but always wimp out. I just like looking at it. Can't split the 24s up.

New c8 corvette , go on c8 corvette forums and take a look at their problems . Then look at transmission problems , 1st change fluid , then change valve body and finally change transmission , after months of nonsense this is what you get. GM has acknowledge there is a problem by taking production away from Tremac (mexico) and moving it to ST. Catherines , GM plant . The transmission castings from Mexico were total porousity .
You see stuff like this and then you look back at the complaints about the NSX rear tire wear and the snap ring. I guess it could have been a lot worse!

You see stuff like this and then you look back at the complaints about the NSX rear tire wear and the snap ring. I guess it could have been a lot worse!
You got that right , the problems these guys have are very sad . They cannot understand how the2020's were not that bad and now the newer units have more problems . I'am retired from GM and I understand how production works , in the beginning they produce slowly then they ramp it up . QC problems always start to show up but they maintain production speeds, spend sometime and read C8 Corvette Forums, there's people on there who have anxiety before they even take delivery of their car. The nonsense they have to put up is just wrong , warranty parts not available , no two dealers give you the same response . I liked the car as soon as it came out was just hoping they wouldn't screw it up .

I liked the video from this guy who looks 10 years old and calls himself Speed Phenom.
He gets the CF wheels on his C8 Z06 and the techs at the dealership can't change tires without damaging the centers of the wheels.
GM sends him a replacement set and the dealership is like eff that we aren't touching them.

I am very relaxed driving the New car...

I guess I'm the odd man out. My warranty ran out on October 23,2022. I also intend to keep my car to the end. However, On October 15,2022 I opted for a 5 year 80,000 mile warranty. I figure a grand a year is a bargain. Plus if I do HAVE to sell it, I figure it'll be much easier to sell over a non-warrantied car. Any we all make our choices and take our chances.

Well I spoke with my service advisor. My in service date was 6/17. So I’m good for another 12 + months. Going to DD it until then and see what shakes down.

MC

Well I spoke with my service advisor. My in service date was 6/17. So I’m good for another 12 + months. Going to DD it until then and see what shakes down.

MC
If your in service date was 6/17, your 4 year bumper to bumper warranty was up 6/21. Your hybrid system and other warranties may be in effect still, but you are not eligible to extend the bumper to bumper coverage to my understanding.

If your in service date was 6/17, your 4 year bumper to bumper warranty was up 6/21. Your hybrid system and other warranties may be in effect still, but you are not eligible to extend the bumper to bumper coverage to my understanding.
I see you got a certified car, so typically they come with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. So you have time, as you say.

I see you got a certified car, so typically they come with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. So you have time, as you say.
I just bought a 17’ with 12k miles from an Acura dealer that was “certified” and has the accompanying checklist but it did not have an extended warranty. I’m not sure why it didn’t have extended warranty but I’m not too worried about it as it’s a Honda/Acura. My parents bought exclusively Honda / Acura their whole lives and they were all extremely reliable. I know the NSX is more complex but I still have faith in the brand.

Ok this thread got me thinking so I researched the prices of a few "what if" scenarios. In the event of a catastrophic engine failure, long block and heads cost $108k ($144k MSRP) before labor. Those Cosworth heads alone are like $66k. Wowsers! In the GTR world, a blown engine just means you have an excuse to build it for 1k+ HP for less than this. There aren't any indy shops building JNC1 engines to the best of my knowledge. On the bright side, running JNC1 engines from part outs on eBay appear to be only ~$20k which makes me feel somewhat better but there is no guarantee one will be available when you need it. I saw another that sold in the past for $15k. I'm surprised to see them sell that cheap given the cost of a new crate motor, but perhaps it's just small market size and stout engine creating low demand for replacements?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are many cases of reported JNC1 engine failures? The only one I could find was on a car that was regularly rented out at a race track for joy rides and maintained by site staff then it was thrashed on by service mechanics and caught on film. Given that this is a GT3 endurance / race engine I expect they should be pretty solid but I'll sleep better at night if you all reassure me :). I still have faith in Honda / Acura but that engine price is out of this world. Many exotics can get replacements for less than that.

My 17' NSX was sold as "Acura certified" but without extended warranty. It was previously sold as Acura certified with 2 year extended warranty though so it may have just been that they can certify it again, but can't extend warranty again beyond 6 years? At least the car has a good service history and I can see all the notes from the last certified inspection. After a bit of research, it sounds like these cars have been extremely reliable for most people but I understand the concern now.

Keep in mind that our cars come with a drive train warranty that is good for 6 years and I believe 70,000 miles. So if your engine blows and you have kept your car serviced then it would be on Acura’s dime. Beyond 6 years, then it would be a goodwill effort on Acura’s part to help you out. That is why keeping up with maintenance is so important. If you have a relationship with a dealer, then they are more likely to support you. In 1989, my1986 Corvette lost its trans. GM paid for everything. Back then the warranty was 36,000 miles or three years. In 1991, I took in the 1986 corvette to the dealer to complained about the plugs fouling. They rebuilt my engine saying that the cylinders were out of round. So keep in mind it pays to have your car serviced by the dealer. By the way, that was the last Corvette I owned. While the Corvette is so much better today the memories linger.

yep( wayback in 98) My dealer and Acura goodwilled me a short block after spinning a rod bearing at the track...

Back