• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who Killed Her Electric Car? I WANT MY TESLA...

JoeSchmoe said:
From what I read a couple of years ago, the $22K price tag is possible only because it is heavily subsidized by Toyota and it actually costs $33K to make. Toyota has been rather quiet about the profitability of this vehicle. Its a bargain only because the other toyota buyers are coughing up the difference. If every toyota customer bought only priuses, toyota would have to raise the price.

-- Joe

I heard this too, but honestly I think its a lot of hoopla made by other companies like GM that just can't seem to do the same. What's the reason for toyota to do this? why would they sell a car and supposedly lose money? To gain market share? they already OWN this segment.... I think its not as expensive to make as what some are saying... and I think Toyota is doing OK with them for profitability. I they can sell a new Yaris for $10,900, they can sell a hybrid for $22000. What are we going to say next, the yaris is a loser too?

Still, there is no denying that its A LOT of car for that kind of money. Even if this theory is true...

Back