• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who Loves ya Baby- Tubi Exhaust for NSX!

Originally posted by ilya:
I now have video of the Tubi exhuast. For those of you going to the monthly meeting in Calabasas tonight, I'm bringing it with me and you'll get to see it all. Otherwise, I will try and find a way to get Lud the video to post for everyone. If anything, I also took pics and will post them as well.

Just e-mail me digitized video, or send VHS tape and I can digitize it and return the tape! E-mail me for my address if you want to do the VHS route.

Sounds promising.

Do they come in single tip a la Taitec?
smile.gif

Ilya:

Will this Tubi exhaust have CA-legal cats too?

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

Ilya, I'm assuming you've heard the Taitec in person. I too was considering the Taitec before this little tidbit of info. Please, if you can, post some sort of comparison between the sounds of both.

The GT Competition is not the race design. The GT Competition is created for a street application. The GT Competition is the replacement of the GT Parallel (which is no longer available). You can find sound clips on line on this site my clicking search (above) and typing in 'TAITEC GT'. The sound between the two is very similar. the GT Comp. is slightly louder.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Hold on guys. The sounds and videos should be posted soon by Eric.

The exhaust sounds very different from the Taitec. I like them both.
The Taitec is more high pitched and screaming than the Tubi. The Tubi also screams, but the pitch is a lot lower, a bit more metallic sounding. Hard to explain, but you'll hear it soon.
I'm still deciding.

Ilya, you've compared Taitec and GruppeM to Tubi and have said that both are higher pitched. Does the Taitec sound quality measure up to the insanely expensive GruppeM? Which one is higher pitched?

Someone I know bought the Taitec Parallel, 1 week after, heard the Gruppe M Version 2 and sold his Taitec and bought the Gruppe M. I've heard most of the exhausts including some of the exotic ones from Japan, and nothing I've heard comes close to what the Gruppe M sounds like. Its hard to justify, $2800 for a exhaust for most people, me included, but after you hear one in person, you just can't go back.

Originally posted by andreas:
Ilya, you've compared Taitec and GruppeM to Tubi and have said that both are higher pitched. Does the Taitec sound quality measure up to the insanely expensive GruppeM? Which one is higher pitched?

That was me. I had been searching for the perfect exhaust since 3 years ago. The options were few. (Comptech, RM, RSR, DC Sports, HKS, Finstar, ARC) Then I heard the GruppeM a few months ago and was very impress with the sound quality. Then SOS offers the Taitec at 37% of the GM's price.

I purchased the Taitec based on the feedback from others, I was excited to get the Taitec. The built quality was very high. After the install, I was impress with the sound level. Quiet below 3k RPM and good sound level at WOT. Regardless of the built quality of the unit, there is no comparison to the GM setup. Compromising just was not an option. The GM built quality is also very high. I just love that dual canister design.

On top of that, it weights 35lb(?) that replaces the OEM exhaust (45lbs?) PLUS both CATS (30 lbs?). It connects directly to my DC headers. Just love that setup!

There are a couple of things that I have to live with though.
1>The dual tips misaligned by 2/10th of an inch that comes very close to the valance on the right side.
2> From 3k to 4k, there is a slight booming sound in the cabin when you open the windows. It is more noticable on service streets driving. Highway driving is perfect though.

Other than that, it is exactly what I was look for. To justify the cost of the unit, it is like shopping for speakers of a stereo. They make all the difference of a stereo. All in all, it IS the right exhaust for me.

Heard them both at the same time, the Gruppe M V.2 sounds a lot better IMO. If you like that high pitch Ferrari sound, Gruppe M is the exhaust. After I heard it, kinda got addicted to it. Now, I'm am trying to convince myself to splurge and get it. If I do get it, the pain from my wallet will be erased by the pleasure from my ears
wink.gif

Originally posted by Brad:
How does the Gruppe M sound in comparison to the Taitec Center Exit exhaust with the rear Diffuser.

[This message has been edited by 19inchNSX (edited 23 October 2001).]

It is really up to what you are looking for. The new owner of my Taitec loves the sound of the Taitec with his Comptech S/C. It is not bad, just different.

For the money ($1k including shipping), I think the Taitec is it. For a couple hundred more, you can get the smoother sounding Comptech, or DC or HKS. For $2k more you can get the ultra light ARC.

So where do you stop? My suggestion is to stop when you hear the one you want. No point getting something knowing that there are something else out there that you really want. 'Cos everytime you start up the car, it'll remind you.

If you can't afford the one you really want, either wait and save up or look for a used one in the classified.

Yeah its been discontinued, but Version 3 will be coming out in Stainless at around the same price and Titanium(probaby a lot more expensive). Only thing is that Version 3 will not be available with dual tips, only single tips. Supposed to sound the same though

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:
Did I read somewhere that the GruppeM v2 exhaust was discontinued? Or am I dead wrong? I hope I am wrong.

I have the first version 3 on order from Alex V. I order a version 2 back in the beginning of August and it came very damaged from shipping. I was very saddened then to learn that there would never be another version 2 available with the dual tips. I had Alex call and beg GruppeM to produce one more, but they wouldn't. So I decided to stick with the verison 3 and I am awaiting it to come in. Even though it is going on 3 months, there is nothing else I would get. I will post pics when it comes in. The biggest thing to note about this whole experience is the professionalism from Alex V. He is by far the best vendor I have delt with. He took care of every situation in a very timely fashion. Just to note, I have ordered from both Dali and SOS and they are also good vendors. However, I can get ahold of Alex immediately and that is something you can't do with the other vendors. Alex even gave me his cell, house, and work number. Sorry for rambling on, but if you really want the best products, Alex will 100% take care of you.

I've had the GruppeM V2 exhaust on my car since last Spring-- according to Alex I was the 2nd person in the US to buy one! I have also heard the Taitec center exit exhaust in person as well. My feeling is at idle and low rpm's, the Taitec sounds slightly better. But at higher rpm's, the GruppeM is much better sounding-- it's both higher pitched and louder. Free-reving the GruppeM in my garage it sound absolutely incredable if you stand back behind the car. Also when deaccelerating it makes a really cool noise similar to the description of the Tubi exhaust above. And when paired up with the GruppeM intake, it sounds even better!

Does anyone know why they switched from a dual-tip to single-tip design? I prefer the look of the dual tips myself, as do many others. There must be only a handful dual-tip GruppeM's in the US. I feel lucky I bought it when I did.

Just to clarify... the GruppeM V2 exhaust replaces the cats, and requires you to run with out the converters. BB, the TT exhaust you heard was with cats. I can assure that the JGTC Center Exit w/o cats is much louder than the GM exhaust. I've heard both, and like them both equally as much.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

I heard the reason was because the tips were too close to the valence and there were cases where it was melting the valence. Also the couple of cases where one side was shifting. I would rather have the dual tips too, tried everything in my power but there is nothing I can do.

Chris, Good point. I had forgotten your car had cats on still. Have you ever thought about removing them? Or would the center exit exhaust get too loud with them off? Then there's the issue of emissions testing-- lucky me, no emissions testing where I live!

jsottile, I have experienced both the problems you mention with the dual-tip GruppeM. The exaust likes to shift to the driver's side of the car, causing one of the tips on the passangers side to touch the plastic and potentially melt it. Fortunetly, I was warned about this issue prior to installing the exhaust so I've never experienced any damage.

I did come up with a solution though: before tightening down all the bolts on the pipes, loop a rope around the tubes on the passenger's side of the exhaust. Have another person pull on the rope as hard as they can, keeping it tight. This forces the exahust to be misalligned in the opposite direction. Then tighten down the bolts. As you drive the car, it will slowly start shifting back the other way. Eventially it just stops moving, leaving a small but more than adequate space to avoid melting plastic.

Does anyone know what causes this? Are the Japenese and US cars different here or something? At first I thought it was a GruppeM design flaw, but now I'm not so sure. I have seen several other NSX exhausts shifted to the exact same side: One was a Taitec center exit (not Chris's, it's centered pretty good), the other was an RSR. I could understand some misalignment, but why are they always misaligned in the same direction?

That's exactly what happened to mine. (please check my previous post) Although I love the dual tips, it pains my to look at my melted valance ... even the spot is the size of a nickle.

If I have a choice, knowing what I know now, I'd pick for single tip for functional reasons. So be patient and wait for the v.3. It's definitely worth the wait.

When I had the Taitec on, I like the look of the single tips also.

Back