• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who posted on what it's like to live in California?

2 of my happiest years were living in the OC. While it is easy to get into the "Lifestyle" of CA, there are lots of people who are as down to earth as anywhere. I lived in Fountain Valley, just on the Santa Ana border. Between Santa Ana and Westminister there are several hundred thousand hard working immigrants, mostly Central American and SE Asian. It keeps people in that portion of the OC a little more grounded than other parts. I learned to live on around $2,000 a month.

Its easy to get into the scene, but doing one's own thing is just as easy.

I'll be moving to SD in about a year and look forward to it. This time I'll be making a few bucks more.

Miner

Here is what she currently looks like.. Only mods are HOOD and wheels.. other than that, she is completely stock.. stock suspension, never drifted.. babied all the way by previous owner... 119,000 miles currently..

Keeping it old school I see, with the Celica/Supra wheels. Nice!

Dude, The California lifestyle is about working at a high tech job that has flex hours so you can go surfing in the morning before work. :wink: You can wear just about anything at work even flip flops. :smile: You take an extended lunch to exercise at the gym. Happy hours are a must for the free horsdeorves and cheap beers while watching the Lakers or Dodgers. Watch the sunset while having an iced coffee. You wear shorts 11 months a year, don't own an umbrella and the heaviest jacket you own is a sweat shirt.

Most people are unaware that if you are not a CA native (born here) then one of the top secret branches of the Govt. (it has no name because it is so secret) imposes a secret tax of 20% on your income. Think of it as an additional over charge (think fabric protector, rust proofing, etc.). So I would advise those who are not CA natives to be smart and stay away from CA -you will be much happier.
(Disclaimer- I am a CA native and may be biased in my opinion.):tongue:

This post came on time:
My sister just got a job offering and thinking to relocating to Cupertino, CA 95014. Do you guys have any suggestion or advises?? (Places to find decent place to rent for young couple and a dog). Any area to avoid... things like that??

She's going there next week for interview and checking out, so any suggestions will be great.. Thanks in advance.

**We've been moving from HK to Seattle since 14 yrs ago. She's been in Taiwan for last 3-4 yrs, and just moved back to states.

Dad used to live in Cupertino....the schools are supposed to be great. But good luck getting a cheap place. Went looking at houses and even the shacks are seven figures. Long way from OH where you can get a nicer place for less than half.

This post came on time:
My sister just got a job offering and thinking to relocating to Cupertino, CA 95014. Do you guys have any suggestion or advises?? (Places to find decent place to rent for young couple and a dog). Any area to avoid... things like that??

She's going there next week for interview and checking out, so any suggestions will be great.. Thanks in advance.

**We've been moving from HK to Seattle since 14 yrs ago. She's been in Taiwan for last 3-4 yrs, and just moved back to states.

Cupertino is a province of China.

I was there in my elementary years and live in "white-ville" - Los Altos.

Have ur sister join our local NSX meet so we can bring her up to speed.

that sum's up more than just californian's thats like the nation. but there is also an hour video here on prime somewhere that explains how debt is the way that works, Not necessarily in our favor but the banks. secondly I would advise anyone to stay away from cali at all costs. NV or AZ is much better.

I understand that AZ is running low on water.

I'm fine with higher cost of living.

I like living in an area where folks between the 40 and 60th parallel dominate the 'hood. This has reduced crime to the point where there are no murders in my 'hood.

The weather is mild year round where it average 75F with no humidity. Now, the weather is the big reason why the bay area is such a hit.

Most other places are either too hot or too cold.

redwood trees > cactus
Ocean beaches > deserts
CA > AZ anyday.

Dad used to live in Cupertino....the schools are supposed to be great. But good luck getting a cheap place. Went looking at houses and even the shacks are seven figures. Long way from OH where you can get a nicer place for less than half.

I love it when people like to state that their homes in their 'hood is cheaper than that in the Yay Area (bay area).

it's all relative.

People in the yay area have greater access to higher paying jobs.

Also, if you bought early in the Yay Area, you might actually be able to retire from the equity and move to OH and roll in an Italian exotic since the homes appreciate at a much greater rate (up until recently) than OH.

If you come from OH and tried to move here, u'll be lucky to have a big house and/or ur NSX.

I laugh when my friends in cheap areas boost how their home went from $130k to $160k in 2 years.

Pray that social security will still be there.

I feel sorry for OH.

Crappy weather
can't even make a rectangular flag
no oceans. Just that cruddy fresh water cancer supply of theirs.

Last edited:
I am fortunate to be able to live any where I want. In the past, I've lived in Asia, Latin America, Europe and the Middle East. In the U.S. I've lived in NYC, Arizona, Ohio, California, and North Carolina. I've traveled to almost all the States in America. When I thought about where I would like to "put down roots" it took a nanosecond to decide where I wanted to live - San Francisco.:biggrin:

For me it's the best place in the U.S. and one of the best cities in the world. Just my opinion.

I love it when people like to state that their homes in their 'hood is cheaper than that in the Yay Area (bay area).

it's all relative.

People in the yay area have greater access to higher paying jobs.

I disagree. I *might* get a job paying twice what I make now, but a house similar to the one I have now would cost 5-7 times more in Cali. No thanks. :smile:

You're right, though....Ohio weather sucks.

Dude, The California lifestyle is about working at a high tech job that has flex hours so you can go surfing in the morning before work. :wink: You can wear just about anything at work even flip flops. :smile: You take an extended lunch to exercise at the gym. Happy hours are a must for the free horsdeorves and cheap beers while watching the Lakers or Dodgers. Watch the sunset while having an iced coffee. You wear shorts 11 months a year, don't own an umbrella and the heaviest jacket you own is a sweat shirt.

Damn, you pretty much nailed my job. Stopped surfing a decade ago. I have been known to get to the office at about 2:00 PM after a morning of snowboarding though.

I do keep "nice" shirt, slacks (or Levi's) and shoes in the car just in case a surprise meeting comes up on the days I wear shorts and flip flops.

This post came on time:

I might be able to offer some input for you guys. I grew up in Cupertino, and I lived in Taiwan for 2 years earlier this decade. Little known fact too is that one of Cupertino's sister cities is Hsinchu.

There really isn't any "unsafe" area of Cupertino. Any of the lower income areas that existed when I was growing up have for the most part been "upgraded" with lots of new homes, newer wealthier residents, etc. Be prepared for sticker shock when looking for a place. What was considered to be an extravagant and lavish amount to spend for rent in the heart of the Eastern District of Taipei will barely get you a studio in Cupertino. You'll find various apartment complexes scattered through out the city, and most are decent. Unless you have your heart set on living in Cupertino, other areas that are close enough to commute to Cupertino and are decent but affordable are certain parts of Sunnyvale and West San Jose. If you are looking to buy within Cupertino, be prepared to spend around at least $600K for a starter condo, and I'm not sure if you can even find that anymore.

Demographically, over the last 30+ years it's changed a lot. When I was in elementary school, there were only the few token Asians in school. By the time I reached middle school, the mass influx from Taiwan began. In 1991, the population was about 35% Taiwanese. In 1998, it was close to 50%. By 2002, I think it was around 70% Taiwanese. I think from the mid '90s to now, for the most part, the mayors have also been Taiwanese. So, after living in Taiwan, you shouldn't have any problem with this.

One thing that I don't know if you guys care about is that unlike the older communities around it, Cupertino has no real "downtown". It was incorporated in the 1950s during the post-war suburban building boom, so it's all suburbia and strip malls. Corporate America has really moved in on the area over the last 15 years, but there are still pockets of locally owned and operated business around. I only mention this, because it's something I would consider when looking for a place to live.

Know also that there is no public transit to speak of, so you will be driving to and from everywhere you need to go. It is somewhat centrally located in the Bay Area though. 20 mins to Palo Alto, 45 mins to San Francisco, 20 mins to downtown San Jose, 30 mins to Fremont, 1 hour to Berkeley, 45 mins to Santa Cruz.

In terms of cars, the area is policed by the Santa Clara County Sherriff's dept, and they seem don't seem to be too anal about modified cars, imports, etc., as they are in the East Bay, or SF, which is nice.

If you have kids (or plan to have kids), the school districts there are excellent, and you want to try to get an area that is serviced by either Monta Vista or Lynbrook high schools, which are routinely ranked by various sources as among the top 5 schools in the Bay Area, top 10 in the state, and top 100 in the country.

All in all, Cupertino offers great quality of life if you have or want to start a family, but bad place for singles or a young couple just starting out.

Shoot me a PM/email when you guys arrive, I'd be happy to help a fellow NSXer settle into the area.

Last edited:
Damn, you pretty much nailed my job. Stopped surfing a decade ago. I have been known to get to the office at about 2:00 PM after a morning of snowboarding though.

I do keep "nice" shirt, slacks (or Levi's) and shoes in the car just in case a surprise meeting comes up on the days I wear shorts and flip flops.

Excellent...keep up the good work!

To me, there will always be two Californias: the California I grew up in as a kid, and today's California. When I was little, California was a wonderful, spread out place w/ lots of fields and orange groves. You could go down to the beach and park for free, and the freeways were practically empty on weekends. Today California is too crowded, too regulated, and/ the crime rate is off the charts. There is however, much more diversity, so it's a cool place if you are into different cultures...It's still the leader for car and motorcycle culture....and if you get up early enough to avoid the traffic, there's still plenty of canyon runs

To me, there will always be two Californias: the California I grew up in as a kid, and today's California. When I was little, California was a wonderful, spread out place w/ lots of fields and orange groves. You could go down to the beach and park for free, and the freeways were practically empty on weekends. Today California is too crowded, too regulated, and/ the crime rate is off the charts. There is however, much more diversity, so it's a cool place if you are into different cultures...

I'll drink to that!

Mike-san said:
It's still the leader for car and motorcycle culture....and if you get up early enough to avoid the traffic, there's still plenty of canyon runs

I'd have to disagree with that. For car culture, it's now definitely the People's Republik of Kalifornia. CA has the strictest and most draconian smog and modification laws from CARB, police forces that are overeager in enforcing, strict DMV, and the list goes on.

If I lived in almost any other state, I'd have had little problem registering a DOT/EPA signed off R34 GT-R, something which proved impossible in CA.

It got to the point where even the Federal Government tried to reign in CARB awhile back to bring them back in line with Federal standards, but I think they lost that challenge. Damn.

I wish to one day live in L.A, my favorite place. :wink:

the pollution standards is a double edged sword.

Sucks if u want to mod ur car. Great if u want to enjoy the air.

Not to mention also, that CA is usually in the forefront in the removal or regulation of other liberties in the name of protecting you from yourself.

I'll drink to that!

I'd have to disagree with that. For car culture, it's now definitely the People's Republik of Kalifornia. CA has the strictest and most draconian smog and modification laws from CARB, police forces that are overeager in enforcing, strict DMV, and the list goes on.

If I lived in almost any other state, I'd have had little problem registering a DOT/EPA signed off R34 GT-R, something which proved impossible in CA.

It got to the point where even the Federal Government tried to reign in CARB awhile back to bring them back in line with Federal standards, but I think they lost that challenge. Damn.
Well, I did say it was too regulated.......Probably because we have too many damn people who like to sue for any reason under the Sun.....But yeah, I'd like to see law enforcement concentrate more on the gang problems and less on modified engines that are sitting in insured cars.......

I'll drink to that!

Tennessee doesn't have such problems. :wink: :tongue:

Saw an R33 GTR last week.

Back