• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Whoa... Reserve not yet met!!!

I bet it sells for around $47k some collector would love that in His or Her collection of cars.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

That car reminds me of my 1992 that I purchased. It had 8900 miles. It has/had 94 7 spoke wheels/tires though.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

in addition to the usual items (snap ring, coolant hose TSB, A/C), I'd check on periodic maintenance (esp t-belt) and general condition of rubber belts, hoses and tires (check for degradation and/or dry-rot).

IMO too much money... for a "not-so-rare" (relative to other color combos) red/black 91 (approx 1100 made). Now, if it was silver/ivory (6 made), I'd definitely consider it.

Our friend Richard from Guam got a low-mile car, and is happy with it.

JMHO
biggrin.gif

I think THIS one's too much money...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1817945815&r=0&t=0

The other one is...well...other than the potential snap ring issue and the timing belt replacement...it's practically a brand new NSX.

I think it's probably worth the $42K, I wonder what their reserve is?

-Jim

------------------

Except in the highly unlikely event that that car had its transmission replaced for some reason in the first couple of years, it is not in snap ring range. Of the '91 cars, only the ones built towards the end of the model year are in range.

I wonder what the original selling price was for this particular car. If it was one of the first ones sold it could have been as high as 100k. That being said, the owner paid around 15.00 dollars per mile operating cost.

According to the write-up on the auction page...

In late 1990, when this car was new, the sticker on this exotic, and rare super-car was around $62,000. There was a $10,000 lack of availability (LOA) charge added to the sticker price of these cars new. All totaled, the price he paid for this car new approached $76,500.

You know, this is probably a good deal. In 10-20 years, it's going to be hard to find a clean NSX that hasn't been modified, hacked, etc.

Mark my words...someday those original 5 spoke wheels are going to be rare and expensive!
wink.gif

-Jim

------------------

Mark my words...someday those original 5 spoke wheels are going to be rare and expensive!
wink.gif

-Jim

and here I sit with four perfect sets in my basement that I bought for a song.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Jimbo:
I think it's probably worth the $42K, I wonder what their reserve is?

We'll never know, since no one bid any higher.

I think $42K is a fair price for it.

Hey, but what about

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1817243453&r=0&t=0 ?

VIN: JH4NA1158MT001645 CarFaxes okay, but I'm-a kinda wonderin' how it came to be that a car was invisible from 1991-1995 and then bounced from state to state, and not from coast to coast but around the midwest - odd for an NSX, IMHO - all while accruing fewer than twenty thousand miles.
Is this the $250 friend-at-DOT special? The deal of the century? (per my formula this car is "worth" about $41,400 - minus a 10% market adjustment due to present conditions which I won't go into since folks will accuse me of having too much time on my hands...)

But seriously, barring total fraud or multiple overheatings, how hosed could this car be with so few miles even if the owner(s) had skipped oil changes, ground gears, put it away wet, etc.?

And here's what the seller had to say in response to an emailed question:

Scott,

It has changed owners several times, and so few miles do to the reporting style of car fax something to do with the year of the vehicle and how far car fax goes back to report...

I will try and answer all your questions I know I had a lot when I bought my 1st nsx

1) timing belt needs to be replaced per maintenance schedule

2) water pump was replaced

3) window regulators are good

4) all books and records will be included to purchaser

At the buyer cost usually under 100 dollars you may have the car inspected...however I have already done this when I purchased the car...I had a pre-buy inspection done by Zimbrick Acura of Middleton, Middleton WI and I bet if you called them they might have the pre-buy available for your review...their # is 608-836-7776 The car is in mint condition and the pre-buy reflected that...I purchased the car shortly after the inspection.

feel free to call me

Brent 763-717-9721

I also find it interesting that one of the bidders is a dealer. Is this dealer a crazy risk-taker? Just playin' the odds? Psychic????

Oh yeah, and it's the seller's first time on eBay...

(edited in an attempt to disguise author's total illiteracy)

[This message has been edited by scott s (edited 02 April 2002).]

Originally posted by scott s:
VIN: JH4NA1158MT001645 CarFaxes okay, but I'm-a kinda wonderin' how it came to be that a car was invisible from 1991-1995

Why is that strange? If there are no title changes, there are no transactions to register at Carfax. I bet my car (bought in December 1990) has no records at Carfax during the same period. No title changes, and Illinois doesn't test emissions for the first four years of the car's life.

bounced from state to state, and not from coast to coast but around the midwest - odd for an NSX, IMHO

Why is that odd?

all while accruing fewer than twenty thousand miles.

Why is that odd?

I don't see anything odd about this car's Carfax records. That doesn't mean the car is perfect, but I don't see anything that looks questionable there, IMO.

(per my formula this car is "worth" about $41,400 - minus a 10% market adjustment

Once a car goes much over 10K miles, it loses the biggest part of the premium on low mileage; loss of value according to miles is not a linear function. I would guess that this car is worth at most around $36K or so, assuming it's in excellent condition.

I would have it inspected again if the previous inspection is over a year old.

1) timing belt needs to be replaced per maintenance schedule

Not a good sign.

2) water pump was replaced

I wonder why the water pump was replaced but not the timing belt? (The water pump didn't need replacement under TSB 92-030.)

3) window regulators are good

Does that mean only that they work? Or that they've been upgraded to the new style or with the fix-it thingies?

I also find it interesting that one of the bidders is a dealer. Is this dealer a crazy risk-taker? Just playin' the odds? Psychic????

More likely, just looking to pick up a car for less than he thinks he can sell it for.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 02 April 2002).]

Though this auction has already ended without a winning bid(at 42k), I don't think it's unrealistic to see the sell price going in the upper 40k.

I once saw a similar NSX with similar mileage sell for 50k,in as few days as this particular auction was for.

So as unrealistic a price it is to some, others would jump at the chance to own such a pristine car with low mileage, regardless of price. The market works in strange ways
biggrin.gif

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

I know of several cases in the past couple of years where a pristine ultra-low (under 10K) mileage NSX went up for sale, with the owner holding out for top dollar. In both cases, the car was sold for around $41K. That's why I think that $42K is a fair price, and that any higher represents unrealistic expectations on the part of the seller.

I paid a similar price for my 1992 (with 8K miles and 7 spoke wheels).

I drive it without worry (except the usual caution).

I view it as I bought a "new" 1992 NSX.

Yes, mileage will reduce the value but if you bought a new NSX you could say the same thing. I always wanted to buy a new NSX back in 1991-92 and didn't get around to it.

I essentially own that now. When I "took delivery" of my 1992 it was like getting a brand new car. All the literature, manuals were there. Heck, my car looked better and cleaner than the new 2001 I saw in the showroom of Davis Acura.

And it cost about half...for essentially the same car. I viewed that as a bargain.

As many people know here, it's all too easy to find rough looking and "used" NSXs. Many of them have worn paint, chips, worn interiors or they been hacked and modded. I didn't want that and I was willing to pay a premium.

-Jim

------------------

I honestly don't know how one could buy a car like the NSX at a time when no one in the world had seen anything like it, and then just let it sit in the garage for the next 11 years.

It's analogous to marrying a supermodel and then tell yourself you are not going to touch her for the next 11 years. Looky but no touchy.

That, my friends, is self-control at its best.
smile.gif

I think what happens is that for many people with these very low mileage cars they have....

1. Busy work and professional schedules that keep them from driving.

2. Several enthusiast cars that they drive.

Combined with the fact that they might live in an area where they only regularly drive 6-8 months out of the year.

Or...a combination of all of the above.

-Jim

------------------

I think it's also possible that their primary enjoyment of the car is in "pride of ownership", rather than driving it. Being able to see it in the garage, looking just like it did in the dealer showroom, and show it off to others that way.

That's not why I got mine, although I bet most of us, including me, have from time to time shown people our NSX in the garage, without driving it.

As usual, there are many ways to enjoy our wonderful cars; different strokes for different folks.

So true Ken...

And if you didn't touch your supermodel wife for 11 years you need to seek therapy!

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

Hey!

And now blk/blk '91 JH4NA1158MT001645 which sold on eBay for $30,800 Apr-05-02 18:55:11 PST is for sale for $39,000 in the NSX Prime classifieds...

Huh? It appears that Brent (the eBay seller on April 5th) is now the current seller on Prime. Is he secretly Susan Schwartz? Did he buy the car back? Hmmmm...

(edit cuz I was too hyper to properly link)

[This message has been edited by scott s (edited 14 April 2002).]

Originally posted by steveny:
NO RESERVE THIS TIME

This time, instead of using a reserve, he set the starting bid high ($45,500) - probably at the point where he had the reserve last time, I bet.

Back